logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

xp_bugfix - nwn2server bugfixes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rossman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the NWN2 DB for some things (i try to use the mysql db instead, but for some things i'm sill using the nwn2 db), even on the onload scripts (i have a lot lot of things to do in the module load so i create a way to split these tasks in 3 different scripts).
Sometime the memory allocation drop down to 400-500 mbytes, but it's quite random and does on depends of the plugin.
Sethan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rossman wrote:
I'm using the NWN2 DB for some things (i try to use the mysql db instead, but for some things i'm sill using the nwn2 db)...

That right there may be the issue.

Running multiple DB systems at once on a single machine uses a lot of CPU and memory. Pick one and convert everything over to that, then disable the other.
Developer Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skywing,
two simple questions on xp_bugfix: what stand for, and is there a way to disable logging of these notifications at server shutdown? Question
Quote:
RemoveGameObject: Removing unknown game object ??? (toplevel node unmatched)

(in place of ??? we have different hex numbers)
We have several thousand of lines like these (maybe one line for each object in game?) in xp_bugfix.txt every time server is shut down, and it takes a long time/space to write down all. Wink
Anyway, I hope this is not a problem for the server. Shocked
Skywing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're debugging messages; the game is probably trying to individually remove some objects after it flushed everything out in the game object table as a part of shutdown processing. Note that shutdown in NWN2 has some bugs in general so I'm not terribly surprised by this.

I can see about turning these messages off by default for the next release.
Skywing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Released xp_bugfix 1.0.15.

This release partially enables the SetAreaTransitionBMP script function, which has never worked. (Now, the nPredefinedAreaTransition parameter will be honored. The sCustomAreaTransitionBMP parameter will still not function, however, because the game client doesn't have the corresponding client-side code necessary for it to work.)

Additionally, this release includes a packet filtering API that is necessary for the server vault plugin to function.
Skywing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Released xp_bugfix 1.0.17.

This fixes a problem with the xp_bugfix API for adjusting the game world update timer, which didn't work properly. (The config file directive did, however, work.)

The update is only meaningful if you were using the API.
Himmelweiss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you disable those debug messages in your next release?
The file xp_bugfix.txt gets bigger and bigger everytime i close/shutdown the server. Also, the server crashes when i shut it down due to the huge amount of log entrys.

And, why is it doing this anyway? what's wrong with all these objects?

Code:

2012-02-21 14:27:27 : RemoveGameObject: Removing unknown game object 00002000 (toplevel node unmatched)
2012-02-21 14:27:30 : RemoveGameObject: Removing unknown game object 00000000 (toplevel node unmatched)
2012-02-21 14:27:30 : RemoveGameObject: Removing unknown game object 00002001 (toplevel node unmatched)
2012-02-21 14:27:30 : RemoveGameObject: Removing unknown game object 00000001 (toplevel node unmatched)
2012-02-21 14:27:30 : RemoveGameObject: Removing unknown game object 00002002 (toplevel node unmatched)
2012-02-21 14:27:30 : RemoveGameObject: Removing unknown game object 00000002 (toplevel node unmatched)
2012-02-21 14:27:30 : RemoveGameObject: Removing unknown game object 00002003 (toplevel node unmatched)
2012-02-21 14:27:30 : RemoveGameObject: Removing unknown game object 00000003 (toplevel node unmatched)
2012-02-21 14:27:30 : RemoveGameObject: Removing unknown game object 00002004 (toplevel node unmatched)
2012-02-21 14:27:30 : RemoveGameObject: Removing unknown game object 00000004 (toplevel node unmatched)
2012-02-21 14:27:30 : RemoveGameObject: Removing unknown game object 00002005 (toplevel node unmatched)
2012-02-21 14:27:30 : RemoveGameObject: Removing unknown game object 00000005 (toplevel node unmatched)
2012-02-21 14:27:30 : RemoveGameObject: Removing unknown game object 00002006 (toplevel node unmatched)
Skywing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

The server crashes because of known bugs in the server and not due to the log messages. Shutdown has been unreliable from the beginning.

I'll investigate adding an option to suppress the messages with respect to cluttering the log.
Himmelweiss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skywing wrote:
The server crashes because of known bugs in the server and not due to the log messages. Shutdown has been unreliable from the beginning.

I'll investigate adding an option to suppress the messages with respect to cluttering the log.

Hmm...

But if i do not use xp_bugfix, the crash on shutdown never happens.
As soon i use xp_bugfix, the shutdown crash happens almost regulary, Without xp_bugfix it didn't even crash once...

The log messages were the only logical explaination to me, but of course the reason can be somewhere else. But again, atleast in my case, xp_bugfix is causing the shutdown crash :O
luna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himmelweiss, I think he's saying the crashing has always been that way with nwn2 server.
xp_bugfix is just showing you errors related to it. It's not causing the crash though.
Skywing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

When shutting down, the server corrupts part of its memory and that can cause crashes during the shutdown sequence sometimes. That isn't due to xp_bugfix as far as I know, and sometimes you may simply 'get lucky' and not see any crash at all because nothing important was corrupted.

Any NWNX plugin that does memory allocations may shift things around so that something else might have gotten damaged by the heap corruption issue.

Since this is only a crash at shutdown time issue and seems to happen after all players have been saved, I haven't invested any time in patching the server to not do that anymore (after all the server process is about to go away anyway).
Himmelweiss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that makes alot more sense to me, thanks for giving more details.

I just use NWN2 since about 2~ month, so i'm not really familiar yet with all it's bugs/crashes.

Is there an open source of your plugins? Then i could just disable the debug messages on my own. If not, np at all.
Skywing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

The source code is checked in to virusman's SVN repository. (skywings_dev_branch). I believe one of the stickies lists the connection information for the repository.

Contributions are welcome, although I would prefer to roll any improvements up into the standard distribution so as to avoid causing problems when users want to upgrade to a new version.
Himmelweiss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i have found it.

Noticed that you are making use of wxwidgets, have to read into that first before i can adjust your plugins to my needs (i have never used wxwidgets before).

I had to convert the project so i can use it in visual studio 2010. But so far it looks like the convert doesn't cause any issues.
Skywing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

wxWidgets are a part of the base distribution.

I would rather that the plugin did not depend on them. The newer NWNX plugins that I have written do not use the base distribution's build system for this reason. xp_bugfix is old and still uses the 'official' build environment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: