logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HORSES,ETC... 1.69 additions..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jec2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 17:44    Post subject: HORSES,ETC... 1.69 additions.. Reply with quote

i know many of you are developing under the svn.. was wondering.. many of our dev team are having troubles getting horses to work without having issues.. delays, lags, etc.. its a big part of the 1.69 update, so i was wondering if any plugins (new or old) are in dev to help horse coding (summons, etc) for the 1.69 abilities in place.. or any additions to functionality, etc..
thanks..
jec....
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horses are high-poly, which is why you get visual hangs - the model has to be loaded into your video card's ram, and sits there taking up space. That's one major reason why we don't use them on HG. I suspect that those are the hangs you are talking about, unless you want to be more specific. The only fix would be for someone to make new, low-poly models for horses.

Funky
jec2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

FunkySwerve wrote:
Horses are high-poly, which is why you get visual hangs - the model has to be loaded into your video card's ram, and sits there taking up space. That's one major reason why we don't use them on HG. I suspect that those are the hangs you are talking about, unless you want to be more specific. The only fix would be for someone to make new, low-poly models for horses.

Funky

we had it working pretty well b4.. but got complaints, that when a player on a horse got near aonother player (like in pvp) the other player got lag and died .... wouldnt that be a server issue? and cant we adjust settingson server to not lag for clients near a horse??

The server tells the client what to see.. cant the server tell it to see a tapered down ver, or correct it in another way?? again.. i think this is a server controllable thing.. maybe a plug.. just a thought..
thanks..

the way we got it to work in the first place, was by adding this to tailmodel.2da in override

14 NullTail c_nulltail default
jec
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it can tell it to see a 'tapered down' version. You do this by making a 'tapered down' model and using it in place of the regular one. It really is that simple.

Funky
jec2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

FunkySwerve wrote:
Yes, it can tell it to see a 'tapered down' version. You do this by making a 'tapered down' model and using it in place of the regular one. It really is that simple.

Funky

i appreciate you reply.. can you please read recent edit to may last post.. and then maybe describe the simple thing you talked about?.. sorry.. treat me like a noob.. i do appreciate your help tho.. thanks..
jec2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

jec2 wrote:
FunkySwerve wrote:

Funky

i appreciate you reply.. can you please read recent edit to may last post.. and then maybe describe the simple thing you talked about?.. sorry.. treat me like a noob.. i do appreciate your help tho.. thanks..

again , we did have it working pretty well, we had done this:
the way we got it to work in the first place, was by adding this to tailmodel.2da in override

14 NullTail c_nulltail default

it was only in pvp we got complaints.. other players saying the horses of players against them stalled thier movement..
any thoughts??
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I heard something about animations. Like the animations data are loaded and its client side problem, not server.

But I know for sure one thing, horses are evil, do not use them. Kill them all!
jec2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaDoOoW wrote:
Well I heard something about animations. Like the animations data are loaded and its client side problem, not server.

not very enlightning.. lol.. c'mon.. bioware wouldnt have made it poss, if it was messed.. it just takes one good coder to make it happen.. maybe a plug???
c'mon guys, lets not just throw horses away.. there has to be a way to make it work..
TormentedBlood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

jec2 wrote:
ShaDoOoW wrote:

not very enlightning.. lol.. c'mon.. bioware wouldnt have made it poss, if it was messed.. it just takes one good coder to make it happen.. maybe a plug???
c'mon guys, lets not just throw horses away.. there has to be a way to make it work..

*grins* bioware releasing something the community had to fix themselves? *thinks back to all the material over on the vault* nope, can't see how that could happen. but i'm with funky and shadow here. horses are evil. avoid when possible. They models and animations are way too laggy, and some of the models even have minute errors in their code as i discovered reworking some haks for my module.
jec2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

TormentedBlood wrote:
jec2 wrote:
ShaDoOoW wrote:

*grins* bioware releasing something the community had to fix themselves? *thinks back to all the material over on the vault* nope, can't see how that could happen. but i'm with funky and shadow here. horses are evil. avoid when possible. They models and animations are way too laggy, and some of the models even have minute errors in their code as i discovered reworking some haks for my module.

doesn't anyone have pos. thing to say? bioware wouldn't have made this poss, if it was EVIL.. lol.. you all are just scared to look at it.. and i dont understand why?.. there has to be a way to make it work.. you all act like you don't even wan to look at it... if all the people who made the plugs or even nwnx itself, looked at it as "evil" and didn't bother to try, we wouldnt have all that we have.. man, all im asking , is some of you look at it and try.. lol. thats not too hard , is it?..
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

jec2 wrote:

doesn't anyone have pos. thing to say?

Yes. You just don't want to hear it. Someone has to make new models.
Quote:

bioware wouldn't have made this poss, if it was EVIL.. lol..

Which bioware are you talking about? The one on this planet does more wrong than right. The more you learn about coding, the more you shake their head at some of the stuff they do.
Quote:

you all are just scared to look at it.. and i dont understand why?..

No, *WE* have already looked at it, and given you the answer. *YOU* came to us, instead of looking at it yourself. How this translates to *US* being afraid to look at it, is beyond all comprehension.
Quote:

there has to be a way to make it work..

There is. Make new, low-poly models.
Quote:

you all act like you don't even wan to look at it...

No. We already looked at it, discovered the answer, and shared it with you when you asked. The problem here is not *US* not wanting to look, but *YOU* not wanting to listen.

Funky
virusman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's client side loading of 13+mb of horse animations. Since the NWN client by default only caches like 16mb in resources, so whenever a horse appears, it causes a momentary stutter as the client has to clear out the resource cache, then load the animation data off the HD. The standard humanoid animations cause no hiccup because you're almost always guaranteed to have it in memory being a PC so it's always loaded.

You can up the amount by changing the nwnplayer.ini setting under [Game Options] and adding "Max Memory Usage=32". Up to a max of 64mb, beyond that there wasn't much performance benefit according to some tests we did internally. So there might be a small initial pause on the first horse load, but afterwards it might not be as bad even if you transition areas.
http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=648704&forum=42
jec2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

virusman wrote:
Quote:
It's client side loading of 13+mb of horse animations. Since the NWN client by default only caches like 16mb in resources, so whenever a horse appears, it causes a momentary stutter as the client has to clear out the resource cache, then load the animation data off the HD. The standard humanoid animations cause no hiccup because you're almost always guaranteed to have it in memory being a PC so it's always loaded.

You can up the amount by changing the nwnplayer.ini setting under [Game Options] and adding "Max Memory Usage=32". Up to a max of 64mb, beyond that there wasn't much performance benefit according to some tests we did internally. So there might be a small initial pause on the first horse load, but afterwards it might not be as bad even if you transition areas.
http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=648704&forum=42

so your saying, there is no way a plugin could effect this and make it work.. is that what im hearing??..
if so, im sorry.. i just don't know why bioware would make something impossible to use.. most of there other stuff that was messed had a work around.. but if virusman cant find a way.. i guess there isnt one.. lol.. soz..
and once again, funky.. sorry if i offended.. seem to do that every time.. lol.. i both like and admire your additions.. hope i can make it up to you sometime.. Wink
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've read on the subject any time a 'horse' transitions into an area the animations get loaded UNLESS there is another 'horse' already in the same area. One BioWare solution was to place a 'null-horse' (invisible) in each area - this would stop the animations from loading/unloading (as they would always be needed)
It would also help to 'cache' all the horse scripts.
As far as I know, no one has converted the DB requirements of horses to a NWNX database yet - that could help reduce lag a little.

Cheers
Gryphyn
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, caching scripts will only hurt. Since bioware added improved automatic caching many updates back (1.65), the caching option in the toolset will only eat up your available memory. Never, ever, ever cache scripts.

Some linkage:

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=584380&forum=47&highlight=caching

And if you don't want to take my word for it, here's Georg Zeoller saying it:

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=488179&forum=47&sp=15

Funky
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: