logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brainstorming for a persistent world zero-module ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fireboar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thousands of areas?!

Sounds to me like you'd be well advised to incorporate the ResMan NWNX plugin into the system in that case. I think ResMan can dynamically load areas... not 100% sure though.
Kosmous

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I checked it couldn't. I'll ask vman about it in IRC. Regardless, he noted that it was unstable so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use it.

There is another solution to this though. Vman had created an area instancing plugin which would be perfect as an alternative to the area prefab pool issue. However, there is the problem of having the areas look too similar. Reasons why I need feedback on this stuff Smile

BTW, another reason why I'm doing a core system version for my DDPW is because I've noticed that a lot of people don't really even want randomized areas at all. I don't want to have to force them to use the outland generator if all they want is the backbone system which is already useful by itself.

Anyway. It'll be only a few more days until I release the core. So we'll see if anyone is even interested at this point.

P.S. I was looking through the older posts in this thread and must've overlooked a question about porting the tools to non-Windows platform. I had plans for this but never had the time. I doubt I can commit to using php/javascript like I initially thought years ago. Hopefully Wine will be ok. It's only for the tools anyway. So the server itself has no issue with linux or wherever else NWNX (no plugins required) and NWN Server will run.

If you have another computer with windows that you use for playing or other misc work that uses windows. This shouldn't be an issue since you can just log unto the database from a remote computer.
Fireboar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as your tools don't rely on "Windows quirks", Wine should be just fine. I agree with your point about the Outland generator - I think that would probably be the least useful tool advertised.

About the GUI tools though, are there plans to open source them? If so, I'm positive that someone here will go through the effort of porting them to Linux or Mac. Community and all. Very Happy
Kosmous

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be releasing all that code. Don't know how useful it will be considering it's a mighty mess at the moment. I'm still working on some code cleanup that I neglected in the past.

I did take a little more time to create a sample Inn interior which will showcase what the core system can do (a small fraction of it actually), and hopefully people can get an idea once they fire up the sample module.
Mikel of Avalon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireboar wrote:
Mikel of Avalon wrote:
Sure i'm always interestet in your system. I'm currently use the outdated and modified system called *Gigaschatten PW Engine* but as far i can see with your system more will be doable so i still wait for it - possible for use in the new modul which is currently bound in planing state Wink

About that, I've got a far more recent version - myself and a few others are working at releasing an updated version. Trouble is, it's now far more integrated with NWNX, so it's available to fewer users, and there's a lot of Arelith-specific stuff (the engine itself is built and maintained on Arelith) that needs removing from core.

My modifications are most only changes to use nwnx2 instead of campaign vars with some modul specific changes. Perhaps i look into your modified version when it will be released and use this.

Kalandur - Die vergessene Welt
Kosmous

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you guys are still interested in my DDPW Project:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Other.Detail&id=1388
Maltalossėwen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kosmous, thanks for making this available for download. I got it from the vault last night.
Unfortunately I won't have time this week to look at it but will post my findings here after a test run with it.
Fireboar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. My initial impression is that it looks like a fairly straightforward implementation with a lot of room for expansion. Great job making these nifty powerful tools in just a few scripts. I'm examining the dynamic conversation system now.
Kosmous

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireboar, did you have any problems with the Councilor Tools (NWN-CT.exe)? Did it run properly for you when you used the installer. I had to put in a few dlls there to run vb6 properly and I don't have a new windows install to test if I get all the dlls in there.
Mikel of Avalon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will examine this now but must see if it is uasable for me (server runs on linux and the tools seems to be only windows compilant) ...

Kalandur - Die vergessene Welt
Kosmous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've already stated, the only 3rd party tool for the server itself is NWNX. There are NO special plugins for NWNX even that are required to run DDPW. That means if you have a server running on NWNX and Nwserver right now, nothing needs to be changed at all. All that is required is the mysql tables and nwscripts.

The Councilor Tools merely connect to the mysql database which can be on linux. In fact my old test server was on linux (debian) to begin with and the mysql server was on the same machine. I merely connected to the mysql server with my home windows machine to edit conversations and such.
Fireboar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have Windows, I'm using Wine. It installs perfectly. My mysql_db.ini file looks like this:

localhost
ddpw
ddpw
ddpw

The database "ddpw" exists, the username and password pair "ddpw" also exist, and all privilages are correctly assigned. The error is as follows:

Title: Error While Connecting
Text: Unable to establish the connection. Check setting in 'mysql_db.ini' and try again.

After a while of this being open, another error appears entitled "Database Disconnected", saying "WARNING! Connection to database has been lost. Attempt to reconnect?".

This is using the following files:

Code:
$ ls ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/DDPW\ Core\ Tools/
mysql_db.ini  NWN-CT.exe  Uninstal.exe  VBMySQLDirect.dll
Kosmous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally got around to getting a fresh test rig so i can figure out what dll i was missing. You'll need to get libmySQL.dll and put it in either the system32 dir of windows or just in the same directory as my NWN-CT.exe . Sorry for overlooking this one. this is actually the same file as the one used by nwnx for the windows package. I'll reupload a new version of the installer on the vault later today. I'm sure you'll be able to get that dll off google quite easily but I'll ul it as well to the vault for a temp fix.
Fireboar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so it loads, but everything's greyed out except "Lock Tools". Shouldn't that be "Unlock Tools"? Anyway, I click the button and it asks for a username and password. "Don't know" is the answer to that, but I decide on the database's username and password.

Run-time error '40003':

Server Error Detected.
Number: 1146
Description: Table 'ddpw.Administrators' doesn't exist

(program exits)

Clearly, the table definitions are missing.
Kosmous

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, did you copy over the database tables that come with the package? Administrators table should be with the rest of the tables. Have you tried using the test module to see if the tables were added properly?

Also the Username and Password to be used once you enter the interface is DDPW User and ddpw respectively. That was stated in the readme.doc that was included in the package.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Scripts and Modules All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: