logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NWNX 1.09
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:30    Post subject: NWNX 1.09 Reply with quote

It's finally here! NWNX 1.09 has been released today.

Thanks to all contributors who improved NWNX4 with their ideas and patches (in no particular order):

* McKillroy who lay the groundwork for getting rid of madcodehook and for hooking NWN with Detours.
* Virusman who added object store and retrieve capabilities to the MySQL plugin (SCORCO) and for beeing very helpful on the forum
* Skywing who brought in many fresh ideas, especially: Reconnect to MySQL after connection loss, and the graceful shutdown feature

I hope I did not forget anyone. It's been a while, so please speak up if you think you should be on the list. My apologies for all the others who pointed out good ideas and offered their code: I would have loved to include everything in 1.09, but time just did not permit it. Which is a good transition to my next point: Time.

This release of NWNX4 will be the last release by me. I am happy with its feature set and it is stable. One of the best NWN related communities gathered around it, and the community is able to support itself, as the last few months have shown. The lack of free time and interest in other game related projects (although not RPG related) makes this step a necessity.

The good news is that this will not really change anything for end users and fellow developers. The site will continue indefinitely, the source code repository will continue indefinitely, and the forum will continue indefinitely. Ideas and code will come in just the same, and eventually there will be a NWNX4 1.10, merged and packaged up by someone after me. Which (taadaaa!) is another good transition to my next point: Official maintainer.

I firmly believe every successful open source project needs a good captain. Someone who sets the course, has authority, and is responsible for the ship as a whole. I have been this person for the last 5 years and it has been one of my best experiences in terms of community and technology. I despise lengthy elections and political discussions, so I propose a simple approach: Everyone may propose someone else. The person who received the most proposals can accept the election or decline. Should this person decline, it's the turn of the person with the next fewer votes, and so on.

My proposal is: virusman.

So, sorry for this rambling post. Have fun with the new version and thanks for all the fish !!

Note: I am not going away. I will still visit the forum occasionally and of course I am available for answering questions.
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virusman sounds like a good pick, with a second-place nomination of Skywing.

Looking for volunteers.
GilGwath

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

i second GF.

Virusman or Skywing

and let me add, Papillon, thanks a lot for all great things you did with the game. This is definitely from my heart, and i'm sure many people of my PW would add their voice if they only knew what is running *under* our game
kungfoowiz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting news... I had put the toolset and the game away for quite some time. With each NWN2 patch though, things are improving.

NWNX4 has also improved in leaps and bounds.

Virusman or Skywing get my vote, that's if they want to run the operation. Otherwise McKillroy if he wants it. =) Thank you to the contributors for your hard work in bringing the new version of NWNX4 to us.

And to Papillon, amazing work bro. NWNX2 was legendary, and now NWNX4 shall continue this long tradition! Big ups to Papillon and thank you for everything you have done for the Neverwinter Nights community.

Edward
Elrahc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the update, Papillon, and for your dedication!

~Elrahc
mckillroy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with your proposal of virusman, assumed he wants to take the responsibility and is willing to do the job. And thanks for all the great work and effort you put into this, Papillon.

Last edited by mckillroy on Mon Oct 20, 2008 18:55; edited 1 time in total
MadK@

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up the nwnx_sql included in this package is the wrong version.
virusman wrote:
nwnx_sql.erf released with NWNX4 1.09 is outdated. The correct file can be downloaded here:
http://data.virusman.ru/nwn/nwnx4/nwnx_sql.erf-1.09.rar

Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll update it this weekend. Thanks for the info.

virusman, what do you think ? A lot of people seem to support my proposal.
virusman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I agree. Smile
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great !

Since nobody objected, I think it's time to officially announce virusman as the new NWNX project leader ! Congrats !!

I'll hand over the necessary access rights to the forum and the website in the course of the next few days.
Urlord

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there is no more madcodehook. The documentation says to copy madchook.dll to the NWN2 install folder. I assume this is incorrect. But is there anything we need to copy to the NWN2 install folder now?

In the 1.09 download, I didn't see any file with the name Detours.

Finally, when will the documentation be updated?

As always, thanks for all your hard work guys!!!
TroveLord

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devs correct me if I'm wrong.

madCHook.dll was replaced by NWNX4_Hook.dll and it doesn't need to be copied to the nwn2 folder. Yet, some old plugin might still require madChook.dll to work, this is the case of xp_pickpocket for example.
virusman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urlord wrote:
Since there is no more madcodehook. The documentation says to copy madchook.dll to the NWN2 install folder. I assume this is incorrect. But is there anything we need to copy to the NWN2 install folder now?

In the 1.09 download, I didn't see any file with the name Detours.
No, Detours is embedded in the DLLs themselves, so you don't need any extra files.

Urlord wrote:
Finally, when will the documentation be updated?
When someone offers help with it. Smile

TroveLord wrote:
Devs correct me if I'm wrong.

madCHook.dll was replaced by NWNX4_Hook.dll and it doesn't need to be copied to the nwn2 folder. Yet, some old plugin might still require madChook.dll to work, this is the case of xp_pickpocket for example.
Exactly.
TroveLord

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help a bit with the documentation, just let me know what to include in it and I'll have a look. At this regard, why not installing a wiki on this domain? Dokuwiki is plain-textfile driven and could work to build a documentation with all users' knowledge.
virusman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

TroveLord wrote:
I can help a bit with the documentation, just let me know what to include in it and I'll have a look. At this regard, why not installing a wiki on this domain? Dokuwiki is plain-textfile driven and could work to build a documentation with all users' knowledge.
In fact, a Wiki-engine is already installed here:
http://dev.nwnx.org/trac/nwnx4/
It's integrated with the repository, issue tracker and has a nice WYSIWYG editor. Registration is open.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: