logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playerlist Disabling?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zebranky

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is fixes the issue Lokey was having, but it's definitely better in a couple ways than svn32: http://mercuric.net/nwn/nwnx/nwnx_fixes-svn36.dll

If you experience any weirdness, set debuglevel=4 or higher under [FIXES] in your .ini, and it will spew out useful log messages.

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
Lokey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to reconfirm that it's working.

It's something we're prepared to live with, but Zeb won't do things we want until he's sure this is solid Wink
Baaleos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 14:50    Post subject: So far so good Reply with quote

So far, I havent had much trouble with this plugin.

Even the release time from the nwnserver process is quick enough on my server.

One thing I was wondering though.

Would it be possible to have it so that when in dm-hide mode, that the dm player, does not count in the player count?

One of the points of having dm-hide mode one would assume, is to hide the fact that there are dm's logged in, at least, my own desire for the plugin would be for it to be able to do this,
However, if a person goes into the server, checks the player list, and sees that there are 10 players listed, and 12 shown in the player count, eg 12/64 then surely that would give away that there are 2 dm's logged in?

I know people could argue that those 2 extra people could be players making toons, therefore, not in game yet, but for long term playing as dm, that explaination doesnt work.

The major problem with this request I suppose is that it would be altering the player count, which may affect the player limit.

I've been able, and I know other servers have done so as well, to edit the server player limit, beyond the range of 64, but I have never been able to spoof the player logged in count.

Is this possible?

I know that there is a UDP query string that is sent to the server, to query the information, so presumably, it would be a matter of hooking/editing the response that the server wants to send?

If hooking is at all possible, it might be possible to hook it entirely to run from within nwnscript.

Eg - Update the Playercount via nwnscript - > nwnx.
That way, it would allow us to bypass the dms from contributing to the player count.

Or,
If the plugin could directly bypass DM's from contributing to the playercount, that would be great too.

Also - I've only ever edited my max players via memory editing, but it occurs to me that this is something that might be desired to go into a nwn_fixes plugin.
It seems like a generic thing that people might like?

Eg -
[FIXES]
MAX_PLAYERS = 70 ; Sets the Max Players to 70.

Suppose it might be problematic when considering that it is a up and down arrow that defines the value, would the plugin be able to account for values between 64 and 70, perhaps hooking to allow the value to be changed dynamically from within the game/via script?

I know something like this would kinda miff off alot of server host companies who charge per player slot. Lol

Imagine they provide nwnx fix plugin, and suddenly people who paid for 10 slots, were able to give themselves 70+ slots without letting on. Lol

Anyhow - does any of this sound viable, do-able, wantable?

I know I would love to get the dm characters discounted towards player count on server select screen.
Asparius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

There can be objections on changing players number reported to gamespy - one can *increase* this number in hope to lure other people to his server.

Anyway - simplest solutions are sometimes best - just login on your server and stay. People will think that DM can be ingame - and so, they will behave properly Smile .
Baaleos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 19:47    Post subject: True, but not important Reply with quote

Thats true, there could be objections, but I've read other threads on nwnx.org where people objected to the premiss of nwnx altering nwnserver process at all. Eg - Decompiling nwnserver.exe is against EULA of bioware - but bioware, simply put, dont mind.

IF it is possible to edit the 'current' players logged in count, regardless of whether someone on nwnx site does it, im sure someone will give it a try.

All im asking, is for a way of discounting the dm from contributing to the count, which would actually reduce the player count.

If someone wanted to use 'who-evers' work, and backwards engineer it to use for dubious uses, thats kinda their choice, and theres nothing that can be done about it.

Even playerlist alterations, that are currently available, could be used by a developer, who has more 'in the know' knowledge than I do, as a stepping stone, to do potentially 'grey' things.

Besides, even if someone did make a plugin that could add +40 to the server player count, do you see many people logging in, and staying for more than 10 seconds after seeing the server is actually empty.

Players would get annoyed at the server host that deceived them, not at the community, or developer who created the code than was then abused.
Waher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite new to NWNX and its plugins and I need someone to dispell some confusion I have.

I am using Windows on my in-dev PW, so my interest is in the Win version of this plugin, however what confuses me is what plugin is this exactly? It's name is nwnx_fixes, but there already is an nwnx-fixes. I read that this is 'stripped down' version of the nwnx_fixes plugin, so I need to use one or the other, not both?

Since I still would like to use things like keep_hidden_in_conversation and hp_limit.

Also, how can I actually configure this script? There's no sample ini file as is the case with original nwnx_fixes.

And is this the latest version?
http://mercuric.net/nwn/nwnx/nwnx_fixes-svn40.dll
Zebranky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waher wrote:
I am quite new to NWNX and its plugins and I need someone to dispell some confusion I have.

I am using Windows on my in-dev PW, so my interest is in the Win version of this plugin, however what confuses me is what plugin is this exactly? It's name is nwnx_fixes, but there already is an nwnx-fixes. I read that this is 'stripped down' version of the nwnx_fixes plugin, so I need to use one or the other, not both?

I originally wrote it using nwnx_fixes as a base, but in a separate nwnx_nocharlist plugin. I merged it back into the mainline nwnx_fixes once I started adding options. That's now the preferred version.

Waher wrote:
Also, how can I actually configure this script? There's no sample ini file as is the case with original nwnx_fixes.

See Lokey's post earlier in the thread for .ini options.

Waher wrote:
And is this the latest version?
http://mercuric.net/nwn/nwnx/nwnx_fixes-svn40.dll

Yes.

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
Baaleos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

This version would probably do.

However, I would keep tuned on this thread, as more updated version may become available.

Code:

[FIXES]
hide_charlist_levels = 1
hide_charlist_dms = 1
hide_charlist_portraits = 0
copy_vars = 1
compare_vars = 0
keep_hidden_in_conversation = 1
hp_limit = -10
cap_ability_inc = 30
cap_atkbonus_inc = 30
cap_ability_dec = 30
cap_atkbonus_dec = 30

These are the ini values I am using.
I turned Compare vars to 0. because players were complaining that everytime they picked up stackable items, they were not being immediately stacked.

: Whoops - me and Zeb posted at same time - follow his post, or use the ini options above.
Waher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for quick replies Smile
scarface

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do these do exactly?

Code:
cap_ability_inc = 30
cap_atkbonus_inc = 30
cap_ability_dec = 30

Raise the hardcoded caps? Explain please.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

cap_ability_inc = 30 // Ability Score increases - from 12 to 30
cap_atkbonus_inc = 30 // Attack Bonus from 20 to 30
cap_ability_dec = 30 ability score decrease - from 12 to 30.

This is module wide, and affects npcs too. Which is great, cause I was able to finish my dynamic spawn system, which allows the monsters to spawn with up to 30 extra ability score points, as well as extra ab and ac depending on the person who spawns them.

Means monsters get harder, as the players get stronger.
max196

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any chance to have the new features included in linux version?
Zebranky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

See http://www.nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1405 for discussion on the cap options. Currently they're Win32-only, but I do plan to port them to Linux.

scarface

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebranky wrote:
See http://www.nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1405 for discussion on the cap options. Currently they're Win32-only, but I do plan to port them to Linux.

If you could port to Linux I'd let you marry my sister who is a model Very Happy
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 19:04    Post subject: Re: True, but not important Reply with quote

Baaleos wrote:
Thats true, there could be objections, but I've read other threads on nwnx.org where people objected to the premiss of nwnx altering nwnserver process at all. Eg - Decompiling nwnserver.exe is against EULA of bioware - but bioware, simply put, dont mind.

IF it is possible to edit the 'current' players logged in count, regardless of whether someone on nwnx site does it, im sure someone will give it a try.

It's already being done. We use this to total our playercounts onto our hub servers, so we can enjoy low lag from multiple instances without it making our player totals look tiny. There are, however, less scrupulous uses - Heart of Winter displays 17 more players than they actually have logged in at any given time. This is an excellent reason not to release such a plugin, as it completely destroys the utility of the gamespy player counts. Of course, we could police this ourselves by means of esoteric crash exploits, but that seems nearly as unethical, given that we've no mandate to do so.

Funky
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: