logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Firebird as the RDBMS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think it would be less effort with the ODBC code, since even if I can find it, it is hopelessly out out date.
obsidian-studios

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically I need to write a plugin then for Firebird on Linux? Is that how MySQL is currently integrated or is it a part of nwnx on Linux? I looked at some of the code from linux nwnx sources, but not exactly sure what I am looking at yet. Plugin, or tie in code.

Thanks
NoMercy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone already made some files to get nwnx2 to work with postgres SQL, so it's probably a good idea to look at how they went about it to work out what you'd need to do too:

Two versions, slightly diferent (one I think doesn't use ODBC one does)

http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/other/data/1103224637000.shtml

http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/other/data/1103498875000.shtml
obsidian-studios

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I really appreciate it and will do. Still would like to know if the mysql stuff is a plugin or not. Seems as if you have to have mysql installed in order to compile nwnx on linux. Booooh Sad
NoMercy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

*digs briefly* You know you really should do this yourself if your going to write a plugin (I don't mind since I want to learn all these tricks anyway), yes it looks like its all plugins, which are loaded through dlopen() and only the nwnx_odbc.so plugin conains any linking requirements for libmysqlclient.
obsidian-studios

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was more asking per what I am looking at. I am writing code now to provide support for firebird. So far I am not seeing anything ODBC related and looks like MySQL is a plugin. So I guess I am making a plugin for firebird. Got all the bast headers and source files in place and am writing the guts, actual code now. From here on that I guess i will post to sourceforge for q and a while I develop the plugin.

Also not sure where you referring to nwnx_odbc.so on what platform? One of the past links posted? Seems the linux stuff I downloaded has mysql wrapped in and you can't even complie it without mysql installed.

So along with adding support for firebird via a plugin I guess I will also have to modify the make and configure files to either complie support for mysql or firebird?
NoMercy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mysql plugin compiles to the module name nwnx_odbc.so, I guess the name is just a hangover from the original ODBC module on the windows version.

Code:
g++    -c -o nwnx2lib.o nwnx2lib.cpp
g++    -c -o NWNXBase.o NWNXBase.cpp
g++    -c -o gline.o gline.cpp
g++ -w -fPIC -shared -W -Wall  -o nwnx2.so nwnx2lib.o NWNXBase.o gline.o -ldl

No mention of mysql in any of the source files, and none on the linking line, shouln't need the librarys to build the core part of nwnx for linux (tested for beta 4 and RC1).
JeroenB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the mysql connection is build in the odbc plugin on Linux. As an idea, you might have a look at how I implemented the multiple database support in the windows version. It should be quit easy to port that to the linux base and add so in a fairly general way the extra firebird support (just an idea Smile)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Database related All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: