logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Server crash prompt - how to auto-clear or disable it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andigar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:46    Post subject: Server crash prompt - how to auto-clear or disable it? Reply with quote

Whenever the server goes down, I've got the system set so that it will restart with all of the correct options. Works like a dream for manual restarts - basically until I am away from the system. See, there is a certain crash in the middle of a game - the prompt comes up asking you whether or not to send the bug report information to Microsoft. Unfortunately, I've not been able to disable that prompt. Until that prompt is cleared, the watchdog still figures the server is responding, so it doesn't bother restarting... even though it in fact is not responding, and all players end up getting disconnected.

I've tried deleting the reg entries for Dr Watson, no luck. I've even tried stopping the Error Reporting Service via services.msc. Both of these seem to have no effect whatsoever. What I need is a program that will clear away any error prompts for a particular program, or will stop that error prompting right off the bat.

If anyone knows of a way to deal with this, please let me know. If more technical information is needed regarding the cause of the crash, that is available upon request.

-Andigar
princewally

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right click on My Computer.
Go to properties.
Advanced tab.
Error Reporting button.
Disable that garbage.
Andigar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 17:30    Post subject: Oh, so close! Reply with quote

Well, it got rid of the error check window. Unfortunately, still comes up with a general application failure.

The instruction at "0x00586c21" referenced by memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.

Same message three times.
Any way to force that dialog box to get the heck out of the way?
princewally

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you tell it to not report anything, or to just not report to Microsoft? There is an option to tell you about errors, too.
Andigar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first, I tried just telling it not to report for nwserver.exe. Then, I told it to disable all reports, including criticals. In both cases, that window still shows up.
Makzimia De Graf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a program called Click off, next time it crashes, add the windows pop up window to it, and voila, no more stupid ok to continue screen Smile

DM/Creator Island of Fredian
fredian.game-host.org:5123
Forums at http://castille.us/fredian/Forums
Lanthar D'Alton

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:40    Post subject: Not entirely on topic Reply with quote

The other week, it was brought to my attention that lag was being caused by tremendously filled stores. One of my players had sold 8 pages of cnr gemdust to a store, and the server bogged down for 3 or 4 second lag jerks every time she sold the merchant 1 gemdust item.

This is 100% reproduceable as far as I can tell.

So... I added code that cleans out my stores after they get opened 5 times. That is... items sold by players will not stick around in the store beyond 5 openings.

The result: amazing. I've not had a crash for 200 hours (though at 100 I reloaded to replenish certain things about the server). Also, ever see your cpu go all spiky, or jump up to 100% for extended time? I don't see that happening any more. My conclusion: stores have problems when they get to high volumes of items.

I just thought I'd let everyone know about this... since my server's been rock solid since I changed that.

-Lanthar[/code]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Makzimia De Graf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic Lanthar Smile but, I actually have used a program onclose for all my stores pretty well since Fredian went live, player closes store, store cleans itself out, except for normal stock. And yes, lag is caused BADLY by full stores.

NoMercy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably Makzimia's system I spotted in ATS, onAcquire it sets a local interger on each item that it's been handled by a PC, when a store is closed, simply remove all the items which have the local interger set, very nice :)
Kormak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The instruction at "0x00586c21" referenced by memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program"

We are having the same problem even before deactivate Dr Watson, perhaps nwnx2 could avoid that in future versions.

Off topic Lanthar, could you upload your script to the vault? Is sounds amazing and could help some people.
Fratakara

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makzimia De Graf wrote:
Get a program called Click off, next time it crashes, add the windows pop up window to it, and voila, no more stupid ok to continue screen Smile

Any chance someone has a link to this program? I'm also encountering the Click to terminate program box and can't seem to locate the program online.

Has anyone tried this fix for removing the window and having success with it?
Kormak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a search looking for Clikoff or http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Automation_Utilities/ClickOff.html

We havenīt had no more crashes since one week so I canīt say if it works or not but it seems to work nice closing windows.

We cant avoid the crash but may be can restart the server using nwnx2.
Makzimia De Graf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kormak, it's what I have used for over 2 yrs, it works a treat, for those times you get a crash. Only thing I haven't seen is if NWNX2 handles lockups yet or not, as in none response from the server over a time frame. I remember Pap saying he was going to re-enable that option somewhere?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: