logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 7
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:00    Post subject: Windows 7 Reply with quote

Silly question.
any issues running NWNX2 on a Windows 7 box?
Fireboar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it and see. I'd personally prefer to use as stripped-down an operating system as possible while still being practical for a permanent server, but for testing I guess you might use NWNX2 on Windows 7. So yes, just give it a shot and see how it goes.
Red

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will let you know how it goes.
Red

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWNX is working fine thus far in Win 7. I am not running in compatibility mode.

My mod is not as of yet complete, but I was able to get the DB created (using the aps_demo mod). No problems there.

I will be using the following plugins on win 7 32 bit.
odbc (sqlite)
nwnx_module
nwnx_fixes (newest from Zebranky)
restart plugin

I dare say all is well thus far. Will report back once mod is completed and in game testing can be done.
maddogfargo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 23:26    Post subject: One reset Plugin issue you may see Reply with quote

I had trouble getting the reset plugin to fire in 64bit XP. If you're using 64bit 7 You may want to test a server reset ASAP.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:29    Post subject: nwnx isnt 64bit compat? Reply with quote

I was under the impression that nwnx was not supported on 64bit because the MadCHook.dll did not function in 64bit.
milliorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have acquired a new host that is using Win7 64bit. It appears everything is functional, but I can't be sure after one week. I read a ton of people saying two different things (madchook.dll works, doesnt work, other things does, doesnt work). I can't tell if these are noobs that do not know wtf they are doing, or this is legit and Win7 64 bit has issues with nwnx2 and its plugins.

So far the only problem appears to be something in Simtools chat commands with only dm clients as in anytime they speak, server crashes. This NEVER happens on a 32bit Winxp/Winserver enviroment.

Are there new updated pluginsfor 64bit OS running servers for nwnx2/nwn1? I really need to know being I been away for a year and trying to get all the bugs fixed in this new OS (virtually none so far except the one issue above).

Is there I madchook.dll 3? I know year ago he Madshi said their wouldnt be one because of exploits, but I assumed v1 and v2 had same exploits so to me to go out of my way for an alternative is unacceptable especially if there was always a a problem to begin with. I'm not even sure if madchook.dll 2 is even the culpirt in the crash thats occuring. I would post logs but atm waiting on host to send me the logs. Basically I need to know am I reading a bunch of noob crap, or is there truly outstanding issues with nwn1/nwnx2/letoscript 24 when using win7 64?
JJRittenhouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a version 3, I don't know if they are using it here. It is free to upgrade for anyone with a previous liscence, but the cost for individual users is very high.

Do we have 64bit support yet?
milliorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

which pisses me off because that version was for sale....regardless how the author wants to word it...but it is not anymore. Was told it was due to exploits etc. Just blows my mind though that something that was once free, that gained popularity, became exploited (everything is exploitable unless your just daft and born yesterday) thus the "solution" was to sign some agreement an pay a lot of money, which did NOTHING to fix the exploitation, it just made the author more money. Meantime, everyone else is left with old exploitable versions, unless you pay a lot of money, which is like legal blackmail.
Zebranky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I haven't encountered any trouble running NWNX2 on Windows 7 64-bit (though I'm not running a production server, just doing development). If there actually is a problem that I'm somehow not encountering, we could always try switching to, for example, Detours or EasyHook, but right now, that doesn't seem necessary.

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
milliorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the plugins developed do function in 32bit. Despite people saying madChook.dll doesnt work in 32bit, it appears it does, just im not sure on which part is or is not functional. I do remember an old worm years back that would cripple the plugin, which led me to suspect that was the exploit the author explained. Be honest I'm not quite sure if my crashes from nwnxchat.dll plugin, or from madChook.dll (only) when using some of nwnxchat functions. Therefore, I can't ask Funkyswerve to fix something that isn't broke on Simtools, because its functional as is in an 32bit enviroment it was meant for.

I'm sure if there is legitimate trouble with madChook.dll that I will stumble across it, but its just outrageous to me what the author did years ago that bothers me. It been more honorable if the author just said I wanna make money off of all of us.
werehound

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had less problems with Win7 and NWNX2 than I did with Vista.
milliorn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

werehound wrote:
I've had less problems with Win7 and NWNX2 than I did with Vista.

...because it was 32bit or 64?
werehound

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm it's 64, compared to my Win Vista 32
Guile

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 7 / Vista 64 Bit IS 32 Bit Compatible, in case you didn't know that...

Indeed I have 32 Bit programs that are ancient running on Windows 7 64 Bit, no problems...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: