logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Limbo properties

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 21:51    Post subject: Limbo properties Reply with quote

Im trying to clean up my NPC when last player exit area. I was thinking what would be better, send them into Limbo or set them nonexisting scripts (guess there is issue with no script at alll right) into all events?

Cos I worry if there isn't some limit for number of objects in Limbo, does anybody know?
Baaleos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 21:20    Post subject: What I do Reply with quote

What I do instead, is use an on enter, and on exit script for the area in question.

When a player exits the area, and no other players are inside the area, it loops through all npcs, saves their resrefs, locations etc to local variables on the area, with incrementing unique id's.

eg
Creature_01
Creature_02

and so on

and the locations are stored with the same number as the creatures resref etc.

Then, when values are stored, they are also destroyed at the same time.

When a player enters the area, the creatures, are restored via their ResRef, basically as new objects, in their predesessers original locations.

So far, I use this in Taverns etc.
Works fine.

Objects existing in the module, no matter where, cost a small amount of memory, it makes sense to reclaim this memory, when not needed.
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im destroying them already, but I would like to avoid Destroy/Create object if its not necessary so Im thinking about new way. Limbo/EventScripts are two ideas, wonder what would be better.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont know if there is limits on the amount of npcs that can go into limbo, but I do know that it would be a hell of a mess for any dm's trying to use limbo for any RP'ing.

But as far as event scripts go.

You will actually need to make a script that does

Code:

void main()
{
return;
}

Blank events, tell nwn to run the default script for that event.

But if you make a script which does the minimum, such as a simple return, then this will be acceptable, and will effectivly minimize the drain from that particular creature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Scripts and Modules All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: