logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

REQUEST: Client-side effects:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dethia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:22    Post subject: REQUEST: Client-side effects: Reply with quote

This is a request thread for those that may be able to make this possible. For nwn1 there is a nwnx plug-in that allowed visual effects to be made client-side (only the person on whom the effect is applied sees it while other players do not).

I do not know how difficult it is to implement something like this for NWN2 but if it is not difficult I am asking if someone can make a plug-in that does the same thing for nwn2.

Thanks for any help and the time you spent reading this.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I cannot fulfill the request itself, I can however say that whether it is possible or not, will depend on whether nwn2 itself has a similar internal function.

nwn1 was able to do this, via nwnx_funcs, because an internal function already existed that allowed it. The function was just siezed upon, and forced to trigger using whatever the user wanted, and thus we have client side visuals.

For this to work in nwn2, the same internal function would need to exist - or at least one that does the same thing.
Dethia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baaleos wrote:
While I cannot fulfill the request itself, I can however say that whether it is possible or not, will depend on whether nwn2 itself has a similar internal function.

nwn1 was able to do this, via nwnx_funcs, because an internal function already existed that allowed it. The function was just siezed upon, and forced to trigger using whatever the user wanted, and thus we have client side visuals.

For this to work in nwn2, the same internal function would need to exist - or at least one that does the same thing.

Well this type of behaviour is seen with the nightvision feat effect where the lighting effect is client only. Of course who knows if it is an effect or whatnot, I don't unfortunately thus I am inclined to believe it is possible I may certainly be wrong, but since no one has replied I have resigned to believe it is not something one can introduce with a flip of the wrist.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be inclined to think that Dark Vision lighting effect is client side.

The nwn1 function that does the client specific visuals doesnt allow for visuals to be targetted onto players specifically.
eg - Duration effects such as glows etc, wont work with that function.

It only allows Impact, and FNF effects to be applied to x,y,z locations.

I wish it did allow glows, but alas, it doesnt.
Whether this is the same with nwn2, I dont know.
Skywing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be possible. Which function were you calling (or which message were you sending) in NWN1?
Baaleos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 19:35    Post subject: this is what I use Reply with quote

__thiscall CNWSMessage::SendServerToPlayerArea_VisualEffect(class CNWSPlayer *, unsigned short, class Vector)

I think this is the one I use, as part of nwnx_funcs for windows. (NWNX2).

This accepts an int for the vfx number, and a vector (x,y,z + area) for where the vfx is to appear.

Glow effects and the such, wont work with this function, because this function isnt capable of attaching the glows or the visual effects, onto the players themselves.

If a glow visual effect number, was fed into this function, it would be applied to 'air', which would mean that nothing would appear.

If we wanted to make a similar function, it would involve a bit of messy custom code, or perhaps simulating this function itself, but making it capable of applying glows to players, and set what player can see it.
eg - via custom messages.
Skywing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that message is still supported on NWN2.
Dethia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applying the effect at a location rather than onto an object would be sufficient for my purposes, though as usual I have no idea what is entailed in the process of making it possible. Thanks for the time you guys put into it though, I know nwnx4 has a long way to go to match the capabilities of nwnx2 and well I honestly don't know if anyone is working on that but if there is such a hero, I take of my hat in deference.
Krarsht

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all,

If that is possible and someone know how to do it, I also think it will be great and for sure will use it in Griffin Island PW,

Krarsht
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: