logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No-light vision and tab glow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xardex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 14:51    Post subject: No-light vision and tab glow Reply with quote

Is there a way to remove the 'light aura' that comes when your controlled character is not in any light? Better yet, can it be controlled?

Also wondering wether you can remove the ability to 'make stuff glow and have their names shown' by pressing the infamous tab button...

Any help appreciated!
MaxRock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory: yes.

The glowy tab auras are handled entirely on the client side, so Virusman's nwnxc would be able to do the trick.
A server has no control over that though, so you would have to force clients to use nwnxc.
xardex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame...

But to be honest, the bigger issue is the auto-illumination. Any insight?
MaxRock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a way to remove the 'light aura' that comes when your controlled character is not in any light? Better yet, can it be controlled?

Is the light aura from items with the Light item property? You could script a workaround for that.
But there is no way to get lighting information for sub areas within an area (No way to determine whether something is in a shadow).
All the graphics stuff is entirely handled by the client and, afaik, there is no exchange between client and server.
Basically the server says: There's a creature at this position using this model. How it is displayed is up to the client.
xardex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean the illumination around your character when your character is in dark, when the character is not in any kind of light at all.

If the spot has no light, be it from item, placeable, spell effect or even an subarea light, this illumination kicks in so you are never in actual pitch blackness.

Given the fact that this illumination comes when you are in the dark, im speculating it could be possible to make the client think the character is in light, even if it isn't. (At least in any visible light)

Unfortunately im not experienced enough to figure out how to do something like this on my own with nwnx... Confused
MaxRock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of at a loss... can you post a screenshot?
Sethan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he's talking about is that when a character is in complete darkness, there is a very faint area of light around them that allows a player to navigate the area. It is possible this is all done client side also.

As far as the tab glow is concerned, the one I'd really love to be able to control via script is on doors.
MaxRock

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I never noticed that.

But it's the same issue: it's all client side
xardex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering this illumination only comes when you are not in light... Couldn't it be possible to fool the client so it would think the character is in light, even when it isn't, at least in any visible light?
Zebranky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the illumination is still present, just not noticeable, but that's just a hunch.

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
xardex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it actually applies the visual effect only when you exit light. You can notice when it comes on by slowly walking out of a light.

Anyway, for the moment I am countering the effects by adding considerably more fog to my "dark" areas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: