logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux support for SCO/RCO?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dguntner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pap, why can't you provide that access for him? You guys are only doing the Windows stuff; why not let those who are working on the Linux part have an easier time of it?

--Dave
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

obsidian-studios wrote:
Not really that easy. A bit more to it, and not something that could be put here. I tried several times to get papillion to add either me or mfx to the project on sourceforge.

Does one time early this year where you did not have a valid sourceforge account count as "several times" ? I am sorry, but there seems to be some serious miscommunication going on.

If you have sent me "several" requests and I answered to none, what makes you believe that I do not want to add contributors to the project ? Could the reason be that I actually received no request ?

Neutral
dguntner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the comment without first checking on all the facts, Pap. Embarassed

So, obsidian-studios, it looks like he's making the offer. You going to make good at your end? Mr. Green

--Dave
obsidian-studios

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon wrote:

Does one time early this year where you did not have a valid sourceforge account count as "several times" ? I am sorry, but there seems to be some serious miscommunication going on.

If you have sent me "several" requests and I answered to none, what makes you believe that I do not want to add contributors to the project ? Could the reason be that I actually received no request ?
Neutral

obsidianstudios has been my valid sourceforge.net account for years. I have been on the JGenerator project on sf.net since like 2002. I believe. I sent a message directly via sourceforge.net on the project a while back. I also sent a message directly via the message feature of this forum.

Here is the message that Papillion replied to March 17th, 2005
obsidian-studios wrote:

Also did you get my request to join the linnwnx2 project on S.F. I have been working with the code for a few weeks now and I have a plugin for Firebird. I am working on the SCO/RCO portions of linnwnx2 now, since my plugin has blob support. But can't use it till nwnx2 can get objects.

Papillon wrote:

I did not get a request, no. Unfortunately, I am a little busy right now and probably will not have enough time to do the hooking in the linux server at the moment. Maybe a bit later when things settle down a bit.

Good work on the firebird plugin, btw !

So I am not sure what happened to the message via sourceforge but the one directly was my second attempt.

Then I sent an instant message here is the log
Conversation with 169824305 at 2005-07-14 14:57:40 on wmlthomsonjr (aim)
(14:58:54) wmlthomsonjr: hi there, sorry to bother, not much time myself. obsidian-studios here, from nwnx.org. Curious if you can add either me or mfx to the linux nwnx project on sourceforge, so we can put up the modified code, hooks etc, and let others see it, tweak it and work on it from there? I have not had time for this in days, I know you are busy, and so is mfx. Thanks

For the record I did not mean to come off as rude or etc. However I put effort into the Firebird plugin and other effort with mfx on the additional stuff. Then to have made a direct request which was acknowledged? Then the IM?

I appologize if you had the wrong sf.net account info for me. I believe you have ways to contact me for that. Anyway no worries. You have my valid sf.net account info obsidianstudios. Not sure if mfx has a sf.net account or not. Adding either or would be great. I do not have much time for this these days. However I would like to get the code up there for others to see, mess with etc.

Thanks, and sorry again for coming off rude or for any miscommunication.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added the user "obsidianstudios" to the sourceforge project.

And no, I received no messages.
teleri

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internal SF mailer has been problematic for a long time I would not trust it at all.

Just my 2 pence. I have not had much luck with it ever. (:
obsidian-studios

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon wrote:
I added the user "obsidianstudios" to the sourceforge project.

Thanks for adding me to the project. I will see about uploading the changes ASAP. Tight on time, and heading to Linux World. Most likely take care of it when I get back.
kender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 weeks later

Any news on this front? I'd love to have the latest DB storage features incorporated into my nwn server on linux. I'd help personally, but I'm not familiar with assembler. Only C & C++.

So how's it going?[/i]
harry_x

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know anything about obsidian-studios's work status, but I realized I need to hook RCO/SCO for my craft system, so after few hours of disassembly I managed to hook RCO. GFF injecting seems to work (e.g. routine for gff loading in rso is hooked).
I will start working on SCO hook soon and then I'll publish it Smile
dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm.. you ask 4 this?

SCO:
if ((ptr[0x00] == (char) 0x55) &&
(ptr[0x01] == (char) 0x89) &&
(ptr[0x02] == (char) 0xe5) &&
(ptr[0x03] == (char) 0x57) &&
(ptr[0x04] == (char) 0x56) &&
(ptr[0x05] == (char) 0x53) &&
(ptr[0x18] == (char) 0x8b) &&
(ptr[0x19] == (char) 0x1b) &&
(ptr[0x1a] == (char) 0x85) &&
(ptr[0x1b] == (char) 0xdb) &&
(ptr[0x1c] == (char) 0x8a) &&
(ptr[0x1d] == (char) 0x4d)
)
return (unsigned long) ptr;

RCO:
if ((ptr[0x00] == (char) 0x55) &&
(ptr[0x01] == (char) 0x89) &&
(ptr[0x02] == (char) 0xe5) &&
(ptr[0x03] == (char) 0x57) &&
(ptr[0x04] == (char) 0x56) &&
(ptr[0x05] == (char) 0x53) &&
(ptr[0x09] == (char) 0x8b) &&
(ptr[0x0a] == (char) 0x45) &&
(ptr[0x0b] == (char) 0x08) &&
(ptr[0x0c] == (char) 0x8b) &&
(ptr[0x0d] == (char) 0x00) &&
(ptr[0x0e] == (char) 0x85) &&
(ptr[0x0f] == (char) 0xc0)
)
return (unsigned long) ptr;
mfx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 14:55    Post subject: hi there Reply with quote

Sorry lads. Been deep into work.

If you like to get our work done on this mail me at mfx@linux.se and ill send it to you.

Hope you can use it and make this thing rock finally Smile
obsidian-studios

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry all, I have been buried, and have not played NWN in some time now. I am thankful to Papillon for adding me to the project on SourceForge.

At the moment I am reluctant to commit some of the modifications made to the core of nwnx. Pretty sure it will flat out break it in cvs, I will see about cleaning up. I have no asm skills at the moment so I can't do the hooking part.

However the Firebird Database plugin is ready to go and should be safe and stable for use. I did use and test for a month or so. The plugin has blob support which is needed for SCO/RCO. Once the core of nwnx can pass on the data, it should be ready to go.

I am not a fan of MySQL so I am not going to touch that at all. At the moment it does not provide for blob storage. Someone will need to work on that at some point.

In the mean time I think I will go ahead and commit the Firebird plugin to CVS. I hope to be able to do so this weekend. I might have to make some changes to the core of nwnx to commit the plugin. If that is the case I would need someone using MySQL to make sure I did not break anything with that plugin. Not going to touch that code in CVS.

I do not want to break what's in CVS unless you all want me to for the SCO/RCO stuff. Otherwise my goal will just be able to use either Firebird or MySQL with nwnx.

Please if anyone has any comments, let me know by this weekend. Thank you.
dguntner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

obsidian-studios wrote:
However the Firebird Database plugin is ready to go and should be safe and stable for use. I did use and test for a month or so. The plugin has blob support which is needed for SCO/RCO. Once the core of nwnx can pass on the data, it should be ready to go.

I expect that you're probably the one person who uses Firebird - the rest of us use MySQL or SQLite. Very Happy (MySQL being my poison of choice.)

Quote:
I am not a fan of MySQL so I am not going to touch that at all. At the moment it does not provide for blob storage. Someone will need to work on that at some point.

Currently the ODBC plugin for NWNX2 for Linux does not support blob storage. MySQL itself certainly does. Just for the sake of clarity.

Quote:
I do not want to break what's in CVS unless you all want me to for the SCO/RCO stuff. Otherwise my goal will just be able to use either Firebird or MySQL with nwnx.

I, for one, certainly wish that you or someone would get the ODBC plugin for Linux to support blob storage and retrieval so that SCO/RCO functions will be available to us. Smile

At this point, I'm kinda unclear - has the main body of NWNX2 been ported to Linux (as of this last update that was done for the Windows version)? Anyone know, offhand?

--Dave
Acrodania

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

obsidian_studios?

Are you planning on porting the Firebird plugin to windows also (please)?

Another question.... On the plugin are you using the embedded Super Server libraries that drive the database file directly or are you using it as a remote connection to an existing server process? Reason I'm asking is that the remote connection method would give us an alternative to using MySQL as it allows connections to remote servers and doesn't lock the database so it can be used by other processes. The first method locks the database and is less useable but easier to setup and is an alternative to SQLite Smile

But I'm sure you know all this already.... I'm more curious as to which you are using.
obsidian-studios

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Are you planning on porting the Firebird plugin to windows also (please)?

I do not like Windows. I will not develop native code for Windows (C/C++), and when I do it's only Java. With that being said nwnx for Windows has full ODBC support. There is an ODBC driver for Firebird. So there is nothing stopping you from using Firebird on Windows. That's just what I did at first so I could start developing a module and world.

Quote:
On the plugin are you using the embedded Super Server libraries that drive the database file directly or are you using it as a remote connection to an existing server process?

Yes remote connection. The Firebird plugin utilizes Firebird's C API. It can connect to a local Firebird server or remote via TCP/IP. I have a dedicated Firebird server which I used both from Windows at first via ODBC. Then from Linux via the plugin. I did not want to go embedded for robustness. Part of the reason why I use Firebird over MySQL in general, robustness.

Now keep in mind, NWN is a single threaded app. Which basically means you will be working with one connection to the db. I have not implemented save points and etc as part of a transaction. There is full commit and rollback support. Not sure about doing multiple db connections. Definitely possibly but not how nwnx was designed or coded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: