logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preventing use of QuickSlots

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baaleos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 22:41    Post subject: Preventing use of QuickSlots Reply with quote

Is it possible to differentiate between a chat message sent via typing the message manually, vs a message that was sent via a quickslotted command?

Eg

I have a ritual system that allows people to do powerful rituals that do powerful effects.

However, I find that my players like to use it in boss fights quick rapidly, by binding the chat messages to the quickbar.

Not the intended way it was designed to be used.
I'd prefer they typed the commands manually.

By Default - quickbar messages go to the shout channel - but this can be bypassed, by putting /tk <message> in the command.
The nwn chat event both nwn and nwnx, dont seem to detect the /tk prefix, so im guessing it gets stripped out on client side.

Anyone know any nifty ways of catching use of quickslots, and bypassing the chat event when they are used?
Wart

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can suggest you a "work-around"

Instead of trigger the spell (or ritual or wathever i will call it "spell") directly by the chat command you can call the entire casting process. (wich requires a specific ammount of time, animationsm speach ... all scripted).

So even if a per link the command on the quickbar he will gain no advantages.
Wart

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted 2 times. Sorry about that Sad
Baaleos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wart wrote:
i can suggest you a "work-around"

Instead of trigger the spell (or ritual or wathever i will call it "spell") directly by the chat command you can call the entire casting process. (wich requires a specific ammount of time, animationsm speach ... all scripted).

So even if a per link the command on the quickbar he will gain no advantages.

Can you elaborate on what you mean?

I cant quite grasp what you are suggesting?

The system I have, is tied to the onChat event, and it takes player chat, and then processes each verse the player speaks, and uses that to 'select' the spell or ritual that is to be triggered.

The problem is that there doesnt seem to be a native nwn method of detecting if the spoken phrase came from a quickslot or was actually typed in.

If it is spoken via a macro attached to a quickslot, it will by default be spoken on the shout channel, but this can be overriden via /tk being prefixed infront of it.

But even then, /tk doesnt show up in the spoken chat text by the time it gets to the chat event.
So not sure how to detect when the players are cheating.
Wart

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot. (as far as i know)
You can just try to eliminate any advantage on using the quickslot. (i assume the advantage is the time necessary for typing)
Baaleos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, at the moment, I have got it setup so that if they use the quickslot to do a ritual, then it will discount the phrase, unless a second has passed since the last verse was spoken.

Which basically penalizes fast typers.
Terra_777

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxRocks nwnx funcs has functions for getting what type of quickslot doesnt it? Use that to see if they have a text one and remove it, would that work?
Baaleos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would indeed find out if they have a quick slot that may be offending the rules, but not necessarily that they clicked on it.

I was hoping there was a Quickslot click event or something or other in the nwnserver symbols I could hook, but so far Havent found it.
Terra_777

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you got in your quickslots is saved server side but the messages from activating them is sent from the client. Which is why you just delete the quickslots that contain text on chat, casting, changing areas or whatever event so its not worth it for a PC to store their big bad message of doom in one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: