logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does ResMan work as an alternative to erf MODs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baaleos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:09    Post subject: Does ResMan work as an alternative to erf MODs? Reply with quote

I am fooling around with Jenkins as a Continuous Integration and SVN to store the entire temp0 contents of my module.

I am using shell commands to move all files besides the module.ifo to relevant folders for nwnx_resman to use.

This results in a compiled mod file that is 300kb instead of the 150mb Module I was working with before.

I am just wondering if anyone has tried such a drastic approach before?

Is there any performance degradation associated with having all module resources in the externalsources directory?
leo_x

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've moved all my scripts outside of the module for about a month now and seen no performance degradation. NWServer caches all scripts, so one of the big performance concerns is probably eliminated there. Linux seems quite good at caching file access and at avoiding fragmentation.

I doubt anyone has done what you're asking about because there is a big memory leak in the resman in the master branch for that kind of usage. I believe that I've fixed this issue here: https://github.com/jd28/nwnx2-linux/tree/resman_memleak But haven't wanted to send in a pull request until it had been tested further. Details are at the bottom of this thread: http://www.nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1298
elven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on something like that. See:

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/510448-on-the-topic-of-collaborative-editing-feedback-requested-proof-of-concept-inside/

What you need in your .mod is module.ifo, and the spawn area (.are and .git). Maybe even just the .are. The rest can be (re)loaded from resman.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that you just need the module.ifo and at least the starting area.
Otherwise it will report invalid/corrupt module.

I've got my Jenkins setup to compile and pack modules, and even deploy them to amazon EC2 Linux servers automatically.

If your interested in such a thing - Vagrant is a good tool to use.
vagrant ssh will allow you to open a ssh session to the virtual machine once it starts up.
From there, I use sftp to pull the compiled module artifact down, and then kick off the nwnserver process.
elven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, vagrant is pretty cool. Too bad it doesn't target Xen or KVM.

I'm kind of waiting for docker to gain a bit more traction and for the tooling to improve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: