logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nwnx_chat on Windows 8.1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Balanor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:43    Post subject: nwnx_chat on Windows 8.1 Reply with quote

Just wondering if there is any chance or settings that I can change to make nwnx_chat work on Windows 8.1? I'm using SIMTools, and when a launch my test server on Windows 8.1, none of the commands work.

For example, if I type !menu to bring up our player menu, my PC simply speaks "!menu". I've tried and repro-ed the issue with the firewall off, I've tried this on multiple 8.1 machines, and I've even tried this on a Windows 7 VM running on my windows 8.1 machine.

Any hope for getting it to work on 8.1?
highv priest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run nwnx in compatibility mode for a 32 bit version of windows.
Balanor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it multiple ways. NWNX running on XP service Pack 2, SP3, and even tried Vista modes as well. I also tried with the NWServer.exe matching the same settings as NWNX. No go, still.

But you are right; this is a 64-bit Windows 8.1 OS.
highv priest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balanor wrote:
Tried it multiple ways. NWNX running on XP service Pack 2, SP3, and even tried Vista modes as well. I also tried with the NWServer.exe matching the same settings as NWNX. No go, still.

But you are right; this is a 64-bit Windows 8.1 OS.

Yea I hear you there, the alternative is to use a VM in 32-bit mode to trick nwnx I suppose.
Terra_777

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get nwnx to run on win 8.1 64bit by just running it as admin, thats it. I know that nwnx_chat isnt 64 bit safe because it runs new/delete on memoryspace passed from nwserver.

Have a look a this: http://www.nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2062&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

addicted2rpg's version: http://www.nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2109 should fix your issue.
highv priest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is his version makes other .DLLs no longer compatible... Which is almost like a deal with satan, "Give your eyes so that you can hear".
Balanor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 32-bit Windows 7 VM running on this Windows 8.1 machine and the same problem occurs within it, but I did not test the compatibility settings as much there as I did on the host machine. Guess I'll try more testing there.

I've also tried addicted's 4.01 version of the chat dll, but to no luck.

Terra, on your 8.1 machine do you only have NWNX set to run as administrator? Is it not running under a compatibility mode? I'm not so concerned with it being stable for long periods of time here - just so that when I launch my Dev server I have those invaluable SIMTools commands for testing purposes and for getting around easily.
Terra_777

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under compatibility for nwnx2, everything is unchecked except for "run this program as an administrator". Nothing checked on nwserver as nwnx is what starts nwserver. I don't use nwnx_chat at all though.
Balanor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

So interestingly enough the chat plugin *does* actually work when I load the SIMTools_Test module, but not when I load our 170 MB module. But it works fine on the main server (although that is a 32-bit OS). This is so bizarre...anyone have any thoughts on why this could be occurring?

If it helps, here is the log when I try to type !help to bring up the list of SIMTools voice commands right after I logged in.

Code:
NWNX Chat version 0.4.0 for Windows.
(c) 2005-2006 by dumbo (dumbo@nm.ru)
(c) 2006-2008 virusman (virusman@virusman.ru)
(c) 2013 addicted2rpg (duckbreath@yahoo.com)
Settings:
chat_script: fky_chat
server_script: server_script
max_msg_len: 2048
processnpc: 1
ignore_silent: 1

! ChatProc hooked at 43ca00.
! RunProc located at 5bf9d0.
! GetIDProc located at 452f70.

o CHAT: mode=D, from_oID=00015B51, msg='NW_ATTACK_MY_TARGET', to_ID=FFFFFFFF
o CHAT: mode=D, from_oID=0001D7E1, msg='NW_I_AM_DEAD', to_ID=FFFFFFFF
o CHAT: mode=D, from_oID=0001D7E1, msg='NW_ATTACK_MY_TARGET', to_ID=FFFFFFFF
o CHAT: mode=D, from_oID=0000682D, msg='NW_I_AM_DEAD', to_ID=FFFFFFFF
o CHAT: mode=D, from_oID=0000682D, msg='NW_ATTACK_MY_TARGET', to_ID=FFFFFFFF
o CHAT: mode=D, from_oID=00006A66, msg='NW_I_AM_DEAD', to_ID=FFFFFFFF
o CHAT: mode=D, from_oID=00006A66, msg='NW_ATTACK_MY_TARGET', to_ID=FFFFFFFF
o GETID: sOID='7ffffffc' =? iOID='7ffffffc'
o GETID: ID=0
o CHAT: mode=5, from_oID=7F000000, msg='You are now in a No PVP area.', to_ID=00000000
o CHAT: mode=5, from_oID=7F000000, msg='You are now in a Full PVP Area.', to_ID=00000000
o CHAT: mode=1, from_oID=7FFFFFFC, msg='!help', to_ID=FFFFFFFF
Terra_777

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this: http://www.filedropper.com/nwnxchat-035-win32 havent tested it myself, havent tested it myself
Balanor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, unfortunately the same problem happened with that one too. It is happening regardless of chat dll, and on multiple Windows 8.1 machines. Never realized how much I used those voice commands for testing purposes until I don't have them anymore. Damn.
Terra_777

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the nwnx log say?
Balanor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

No much, unless there is some type of verbose logging I'm not familiar with..? Here is what I have though. It does say the plugin loaded.

Code:
NWN Extender V.2.6.1
(c) 2005 by Ingmar Stieger (Papillon) and Jeroen Broekhuizen
visit us at http://www.nwnx.org

* Loading plugins...
* Plugin chat is loaded.
* Plugin fixes-svn40 is loaded.
* Plugin funcs is loaded.
* Plugin leto is loaded.
* Plugin resetplugin is loaded.
* NWNX2 activated.
highv priest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the part of the code which allocates the memory is the problem, why is it not simple to solve(remove the code which switches to do something different in 64 bit for no reason, it's not like nwn could ever exceed 2^32 RAM anyway, so it's not like 32 or 64 bit environment improves nwn in any method whatsoever.)? I know of a dozen nwnx plugins off the top of my head that all store some form of memory(hashset, sortset, spells, effects, weapon overrides, etc).

I mean hilariously I ended up making nwnx chat work for my server(the part capturing messages, not the part able to block them) by retrieving the logging messages and silent shouts.

Each character says in silent shout:"ACCOUNTNAME:account" when they login

and then the retrieval of the chat log just figures out who says what by finding the next substring after them with the same hexID as the one who silent shouted the account.

As for actual blocking of tells, well I'm just up a creek without a paddle there, not much can be done about it.

I wish I had the time to get involved myself in nwnx, some really amazing benefits could be hooking the OnDamaged event for players, creating effects versus creators of an effect(think timestop reducing attacks per round but only for those affected and only versus the caster), hooking the triggering of non-scripted effects(hold 75% chance/ 1 round), hooking combat feats(Called Shot maybe does something different for different things in different situations..), directly modifying object moverate, directly modifying walkmeshes, specifying alternative locations for auto-pathfinding(maybe they run to the waypoint which specifies the stairs instead of running into the wall....), creating a ActionUseItem command for Windows, creating an effect versus specific feat(Think +10 discipline versus disarm), and of course "Set Max Number of Players".

I'm struggling just to keep up with my 2 servers alone between work and family problems and just learning how all the hooking is done in nwnx would probably take a whole day in and of itself.
Terra_777

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your nwnx is outdated. Its likely the crashes has nothing to do with chat but rather the fact that you run 2.6.1 when 2.7-beta4 is the stable one with the object hook. Grab it here: http://www.nwnx.org/uploads/media/nwnx-2.7-beta4-win32-full.rar

The version of chat I compiled yesterday should have taken care of the memory crashes unless I missed some.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: