logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got NWNX towork with the internal DB but not MySQL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 17:37    Post subject: Got NWNX towork with the internal DB but not MySQL Reply with quote

Ok, been at this awhile now. I got everything installed by following the documentation provided with each download. Without too much trouble, I was able to get nwnx up and running with the demo mod. I tested it, and the object persistence worked - 3 items stored, 3 retrieved.

Now, because I want to setup linked servers, I am trying to do the same with MySQL. A word of caution: I've never used MySQL before, so I may be missing something obvious to longtime users. I installed MySQL using their built-in installer, the newest version - 4.1.12a-nt. It is installed as a service. I also installed the MySQL administrator. I went through their instruction manual, and was able to create databases, tables and so on. I made a database named 'nwn'. So far so good. All versions of nwnx and plugins are the most current, downloaded from this site.

Now, I tried to switch NWNX over to use MySQL. The only thing I could see that needed changing was the nwnx.ini file, the 5 lines under MySQL in particular. I first set host to 'localhost', user to 'root', and the pass to the root password. I set the database to 'nwn'.Now in the demo mod, I switched from the internal database scripts to the MySQL scripts in both instances, as instructed. These were the ONLY changes I made.

When I now load the demo mod, it still says the tables are created, and says that 3 objects were stored persistantly, but when I try to retrieve the objects, it says 0 retrieved. Nothing I've changed has made a difference here. I tried switching it to a new user, other than 'root', with a new password, and I granted that user full access to the nwn database using the MySQL administrator. No change. I tried adding a colon and the port after 'localhost'. No change. What am I doing wrong? Do I need a different instance of MySQL up to access the nwn database? Here is the relevant section of the config file:

; Use these five settings for MySQL connections
;source = mysql
;server = localhost:3306
;user = nwserver
;pwd = linkup
;db = nwn

The user and pass are correct, I am able to login using them in the administrator. The nwn database does exist, but the tables that the demo mod says it creates never appear in it. Do I need to do something else to make nwnx use the MySQL db? I looked at the old tutorial and see reference to a bunch of things that make no sense, like the nwnx_mysql.ini file (which I THINK is now replaced by the nwnx_odbc.dll?). Likewise, many of the old posts make little sense, it looks as if they are using NWNX2 but using the old tutorial.

Please help!

Funky
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, figured it out with help from one of my DMs. Apparently you need to comment the text for the internal db and uncomment the MySQL db stuff in nwnx.ini by adding / removing semicolons. Probably obvious to many, but oughtta be in the tutorial/documentation. Grrrrr.

Funky
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: