logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

no log file
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irritatus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:21    Post subject: Tried it, no luck Reply with quote

I also run xp64 and could not find the log files (I stared at that ini file like a red-headed stepcihild for about an hour)

I downloaded the 2.2.2 mad code hook library with no success.

would it be possible to compile nwnx in 64-bit mode to see if it would work?

I know nwn is no 64 bit, so this is a long shot, but worth a shot.

kinda bummed we don't have a good 64-bit solution yet with nwnx2 on the horizon.....

Irritatus
Acrodania

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 16:25    Post subject: Re: Tried it, no luck Reply with quote

Irritatus wrote:

kinda bummed we don't have a good 64-bit solution yet with nwnx2 on the horizon.....

Irritatus

Actually a 64 bit might not help you when NWN2 comes out either. The official word on Atari's site is that "NWN2 does not support x64 version of XP".

No word on whether the dedicated server will support a 64 bit OS or not, but the wording for the client definately says to not expect it to run on x64....
Irritatus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, if that is the case maybe I won't be buying nwn2 after all. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Sounds about right for a obsidian product though. MP support sure seems like an after thought. The announcement that the dm client won't ship with the product, but will need to be downloaded smells fishy too, like "oh yeah, we should add MP support to this now that release is 4 months away..."

Still would be interested in testing nwnx and the new madcodehook.dll with a 64-bit build of nwnx to see what happens.

I am also leary that nwn2 and particularly the server won't be threaded for dual-core or multi-processor systems. Although, maybe the OS will coop that for us.

Irritatus.
Acrodania

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irritatus wrote:
hmm, if that is the case maybe I won't be buying nwn2 after all. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Sounds about right for a obsidian product though. MP support sure seems like an after thought. The announcement that the dm client won't ship with the product, but will need to be downloaded smells fishy too, like "oh yeah, we should add MP support to this now that release is 4 months away..."

If you want to gripe about BS then I would suddest taking it somewhere else Evil or Very Mad Don't continue it here, it belongs on the NWN2 boards. Obsidian Devs were playing parts of the OC in Multiplayer mode as early as last March, do a search on the boards. Multi-player is fully supported, just not as "smooth" as in NWN1. You might want to read the comments recently posted in the interviews from Monday about walkmeshes.

As for the DM Client, again read the Dev comments on the issue both at the announcement and since. It is not nessessary to have the DM client ready when the game goes gold, it is far better to finish it up during the downtime (3-4 weeks) between going gold and actual release of the game. Do you want it finished and updated or do you want the same one that was in NWN1?
Quote:

Still would be interested in testing nwnx and the new madcodehook.dll with a 64-bit build of nwnx to see what happens.

I am also leary that nwn2 and particularly the server won't be threaded for dual-core or multi-processor systems. Although, maybe the OS will coop that for us.

Irritatus.

You don't WANT a multi-threaded dedicated server for so this unless rebuilt from the ground up. SImple fact: The script engine is single-threaded and done specifically for control issues and making sure script B runs after script A. Everything has to happen in order or the entire thing breaks. The engine was NOT designed to handle asynchronous access of information and cannot be retrofitted to perform in this manner nor is it nessessary to do so within the scope of the design needs.

This topic has been covered by Bioware and Obsidian dozens of times over the last three years.
Irritatus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for rubbing whatever sore spot I hit that set you off there....

On a side note, I just checked a few things and ran nwnx again, and ended up with a nwnx.txt file on d:\

Which is odd, considering nwn is set up on c: and in the normal location.

not sure if that helps any, but it seems nwnx did fire up. had normal entries...connected to db, etc.

As for the lack of multhreading server support unless the engine was rebuilt form the ground up...I got the impression that the engine WAS rebuilt from the ground up from dev comments. Synchronization is not as complicated as you make it sound, however, that is not the point of my comment. My point was, a 64-bit server would be nice, and I am a bit surprised it's not on the pallete.

Anyway

Irritatus.
Acrodania

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GRAPHICS engine was built from the ground up but the core game engine is essentually unchanged.
Xaos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is NWNX4 going to support 64 bit? Just wondering...
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but that really depends on madcodehook's author, not me. I bug him like every 2 or 3 weeks about it, so he'll eventually get it done Smile.
EPOlson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have another case of no log file. Running version 7 on a mobility radion running xp. It works fine on my desktop, but on the laptop it launches the nwn2 server, but does not connect and no logs get written. Identical setup (except the laptop has spaces in it's path names, but that should not matter) I'm a "professional debugger" Smile if you want me to track it down with a debug-enabled version
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your laptop on 64 bits ?
EPOlson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon wrote:
Is your laptop on 64 bits ?

It is 32 bits. It it a Pentium M (765) 2.10 GHz, but it would not surprise me if there was a related issue. (It is not like I need to run a NWN2 server on a laptop! It is nice to test things while at work Rolling Eyes ) But I can test it for you if you want - maybe if you rewrite the hook code.
Arvirago

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acrodania wrote:
Couple of things to try....

1) turn off hyper-threading. Yes, it can cause problems with lots of database access utilities.

2) Try running in 32 bit emulation.

Any hint on how to do those 2 things?

I have now a x64 server and madchook won't work nor create the log file.
Madshi has been saying the 64 bits version would be out soon, since 2 or 3 years ago, so I quit waiting for that. Sad

I tried calling nwnx2.exe with compatibility mode for WinXP, WinNT or Win98 to no use.

PS: NWNX4 does work on x64? I see it comes with a newer version of madchook.dll. We would like to keep our NWN1 and NWN2 worlds both running.
Cablefish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I'm running into the same problems. There IS probably an new madCHook.dll for us to use somewhere out there. I would really like a hint as to find it..
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cablefish wrote:
Yeah. I'm running into the same problems. There IS probably an new madCHook.dll for us to use somewhere out there. I would really like a hint as to find it..

EasyHook... will work for x32 & x64
hasn't been worked on for a while, but the fundamentals are there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: