logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chat plugin problem?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chunkymonky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebranky wrote:
I just built a version of NWNX that rotates all .txt files into timestamped dirs, as suggested in this thread: http://www.nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=215

Download it at http://mercuric.net/NWNX2_logrotate.exe, rename it to NWNX2.exe, drop it in, and enjoy. Smile

Ah, that would be most helpful. I will check this out when I get home. thanks. (I am stranded in Lake Placid, 6 hours from home and server...stupid cars...)
william_hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird..I seem to be switching names.
william_hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyhow, I have a set of logfiles now, and I have looked them all over, and there doesn't seem to be a command that is taking the server down. The last crash was after a prolonged period of no chat commands, as far as I can see. Is there another logging option in NWNx I can set to get more info?
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use the profiler plugin and set it to full logging. That generates a lot of data, but you might spot a certain script that runs just before a crash.
william_hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

if thats what it takes, then so be it. I need to know what script is taking this thing down.
william_hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I have some serious data now, but I cant see a script that is causing the crash. The profiler has been running for 2 days. There was one crash in that time.
virusman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

The broken script is basically the last script in the log.
But it can be some rare bug in NWNX. Only core dump+gdb can tell (in Linux.. I don't know much about core dumping in Windows). For example, last week I discovered a strange bug when NWNX tried to call OnRequest from non-existent library (the data at the pointer definitely wasn't a NWNX library class). I still haven't found out what made the Libraries class return that incorrect pointer as well as couldn't reproduce it.
william_hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can definitely find that broken script if'n thats the problem.

I will post what I find when I get a sec for looking.

Edit:

I am looking at the logfile, and the last script in the stack is fky_chat

That's not what I was hoping to see. Well, at least I know what script to look into, I guess.
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

What that means, of course, is that a speech event triggered the crash, almost definitely due to some script conflict, though possibly to an issue with the plugin itself, or the scriptset. I would enable the text logging, and move it up to the top of the scriipt (after the needed info is retrieved), in hopes of catching the problem text and getting it logged before it causes the crash. Also might want to alert your players to the problem, one of them may remember typing something just before the server downs. It's also possib;e you have a malicious user overloading the chat buffer to crash the server when they want (to dupe, or for whatever reason). I was planning to add an option in SIMTools to guard against that, basically just a length cap on a mesage before it was autosuppressed - you could try adding such a limiter, but I would make the limit good and long if you do. (Send me a PM if you want to learn more about chat buffer crashing). Judging by the onset coinciding with SIMTools though, I spose it's more likely the script or plugin. Confused
Funky
virusman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a bug in NWNX Chat that could cause these crashes. It was discovered and fixed yesterday, but due to technical problems with one of my hard drives I can't access Windows sources now.
Quote:
It's also possib;e you have a malicious user overloading the chat buffer to crash the server when they want (to dupe, or for whatever reason). I was planning to add an option in SIMTools to guard against that, basically just a length cap on a mesage before it was autosuppressed - you could try adding such a limiter, but I would make the limit good and long if you do. (Send me a PM if you want to learn more about chat buffer crashing).
Buffer overloading?! Why don't I know about it? Smile
P.S. The next release of NWNX Chat will contain full sources.
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! When will the updated linux version be available? Very Happy Nice catch, and nice fix, both of you!
Funky
william_hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may actually be the best news I have gotten all day Laughing

Who'da thunk a bug could ever be good news?
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

virusman wrote:
There was a bug in NWNX Chat that could cause these crashes. It was discovered and fixed yesterday, but due to technical problems with one of my hard drives I can't access Windows sources now.
Quote:
It's also possib;e you have a malicious user overloading the chat buffer to crash the server when they want (to dupe, or for whatever reason). I was planning to add an option in SIMTools to guard against that, basically just a length cap on a mesage before it was autosuppressed - you could try adding such a limiter, but I would make the limit good and long if you do. (Send me a PM if you want to learn more about chat buffer crashing).
Buffer overloading?! Why don't I know about it? Smile
P.S. The next release of NWNX Chat will contain full sources.

Sending you a pm re: chat buffer overloads.
Funky
william_hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally (yes I know the above PM mention was to virusman) I am not too worried about the players crashing the server using chat commands. We have a pretty good bunch on there, and they don't seem the type. If it becomes a problem, I will contact you.
virusman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, I'll fix the chat buffer overflow bug as well. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: