logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NWNX4 Prototype 1.08 beta 1 ready
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 21:55    Post subject: NWNX4 Prototype 1.08 beta 1 ready Reply with quote

I'm happy to announce an open beta test for version 1.08.

The version that you can download via the link below comes with the three official plugins (MySQL, SQLite, Time) converted to use the new functions OE gave us. This means that you will not find new functionality in this release, but nonetheless benefit from the cleaner interface this architectural change to NWNX will provide for the future. I encourage anybody to test it in a test environment and provide as much feedback as possible. The new plugins ran my small regression test fine, but I'd like to get some more feedback before I'll put it among the official downloads and before people should use it on their production servers.

Highlights:
1) All communication between NWN and NWNX is done using the new NWNX specific functions. No more hooking of SetLocalString
2) The dependency on madcodehook is almost gone. Not entirely, but there is only a small part missing that I should be able to work around. This means NWNX will work on 64bit systems soon.
3) smallColSpacer is gone. The current buffer in the SQL plugins is set to 65K (per column). NWN does not need to reserve the space beforehand anymore.
4) No unnecessary conversions from int to string to int and back again. The workaround of converting all data to string before it can be sent to NWNX is no longer necessary. Note: This has not been fully implemented in the SQL plugins yet. This is more related to how plugin developers and scripters can communicate in the future.
5) The new nwscript NWNX functions offer more parameters of varying types than SetLocalString did. You can pass optional string, integer, and float parameters to plugins, without resorting to encoding the whole command into '!' seperated strings.

Download here: NWNX4 Prototype 1.08 beta 1

Again, your feedback is appreciated.
virusman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great.
Please update the sources in the repository to 1.08.
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news, I look forward to pawing at it. I second virusman's motion, as I'd like to update my own work to take advantage of the new hooks as well

Looking for volunteers.
TroveLord

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried it on two different machines and on one it doesn't work.
It works normally on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core with 2GB of RAM running Windows Vista, while on a Pentium 4 3GHz with 2GB of RAM running Windows XP (SP2) I get these errors.
When starting nwnx4_gui
"This program could not be started since configiration of it is wrong. The problem might the solved if you reinstall it."
When starting nwnx4_controller
"It's not possible to run this program."

I've reinstalled it over and over even if it was an upgrade from v1.07 and it still doesn't work.

Anyone reproduced this error? Any advice?

TIA.

EDIT: I tested on another Windows XP (sp2) this time on a Mac with boot camp and didn't work either. Perhaps the problem is with the OS.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

virusman wrote:
Great.
Please update the sources in the repository to 1.08.

Patience, Young Padawan Smile

I'll update the rep as soon as the sources are ready. They are quite clean already, but I usually go over every changed line a second time, after a little time has passed. I know you need the sources to adapt your own plugins, so I'll see to it that this happens as soon as possible.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

TroveLord wrote:
I've tried it on two different machines and on one it doesn't work.

Ok, this took a bit to figure out. You need the C runtime libraries on your computer. Not just any version, but the SP1 version, since since the last 1.07 build, I installed SP1 for Visual C++ Express and the binaries compiled with this version need a current runtime environment.

You can get it here:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

Sorry for the inconvenience. Once the installer is ready, it should install the necessary dependencies automatically, without user intervention.
TroveLord

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains why it works on my computer but not on my module's host. Thanks a bunch for the prompt reply and sorry for the lack of informations given. I hope it can help other people.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

The source for 1.08 beta 1 is online.

Some caveats:
* Certain functions like NWNXSetFloat were not hooked in the binary above, but are in the source. Please recompile if you want to use them.
* The OE functions that set the function pointer to my NWNX functions are hard coded for 1.05. I plan to add some code that tries to search the functions, and if it can not find them all (as is the case now with 1.05), I'll just use those hard coded values. A bit clunky, but I did not want to wait for NWN2 1.06 just because there are some typos in the server executeable.
* The source is not entireably stable right now, I might change some small things here or there. The general structure is frozen though, so you can start to convert your plugins.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there silent agreement that 1.08 is the greatest of all time, without any bugs or problems whatsoever, or is it simply the case that nobody had a chance to try it, yet ?
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon wrote:
Is there silent agreement that 1.08 is the greatest of all time, without any bugs or problems whatsoever, or is it simply the case that nobody had a chance to try it, yet ?

*looks guilty*

Looking for volunteers.
TroveLord

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using 1.08 since it came out and it works like a charm, I've experienced two mysqld-nt crashes but I think they are unrelated with nwnx4. Can't say a thing about custom plugins since I have no idea how to make one.
Morpheus

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pap, just caught this thread. Will be putting your gem of a middleware to some heavy testing!! Awesome job!

Morph
GodBeastX

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it work with 1.06 beta? If so I'll migrate to it. I have a custom plugin so the source code is important.
TroveLord

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone managed to boot a module from a directory through nwnx4? my server does crash repeatedly, yet using a direct link to the nwn2server with -moduledir module_name as parameters works perfectly.
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're using 1.06 beta?

Looking for volunteers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: