logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NWNX4 Prototype 1.08 beta 1 ready
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

sihart25 wrote:
version 1.07 works for me but 1.08 does'nt at the moment the log files say yes/successful ( i am trying the timer demo) but the module saying no nwnx4;

This is not enough info to help you.

Did you delete all old files from your 1.07 install ? Do you use NWN2 1.05 ? What log files do you get, and what are their contents ?
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon wrote:
I think this is not a good way to go about this. Usually, one should have a solid measurement to base optimisations upon. The whole point is moot if you would not have a performance difference in reality.

I'd suggest a small experiment: Create a new function in the time plugin that compares like 500 strings of 30 characters, then compares 500 ints, and use the timer infrastructure to measure the runtime. I guess that you will not see a difference (within measurement accuracy).

Yep, that was what I had just started doing, 'fore I read your post Smile

Looking for volunteers.
sihart25

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry
yes i am using nwn2 1.05
the nwn log says
Quote:

NWN Extender 4 V.0.0.7
(c) 2007 by Ingmar Stieger (Papillon)
visit us at http://www.nwnx.org

* Loading plugins...
* Loading plugin xp_mysql.dll: Error during plugin initialization.
* Loading plugin xp_sqlite.dll: Error during plugin initialization.
* Loading plugin xp_time.dll: Successfully registered as class: TIME
* Disabling general protection fault error dialog.
* NWNX4 activated.
* NWNX4 shutting down...
* NWNX4 shutdown successfull.

the timer:
Quote:
NWNX Timer Plugin V.0.0.2
(c) 2007 by Ingmar Stieger (Papillon)
visit us at http://www.nwnx.org

* Plugin initialized.
* Plugin unloaded.

[/quote]
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it's official: ARRGHHH!

The new interface makes plenty of sense...

... but it's made my validation code messy Sad

Looking for volunteers.
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I'm stumped.

I have updated to latest VS SP1. I re-downloaded the entire project from SVN, rebuilt all, then rebuilt the hashtable plugin after making the needed changes. however, no matter what I do, I can't get any of the hooks to trigger the callbacks.

A bit more testing has shown the same problem with the timer and mysql plugins as well.

I've confirmed that the updated dlls/exes are loaded. The plugins are /loading/: log files are created, and the entries indicating initialization do exist. Just seems like they're not getting invoked... attaching in the debugger confirms the same; even code in hook.cpp is not executing.

Other thing worth mentioning is that there seems to be a noticeable delay (maybe half a second or so? can't tell for sure without the timer plugin Wink)

Hopefully I'm doing something really stupid that someone will spot two seconds into reading this post?

Looking for volunteers.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grinning Fool wrote:
Alright, I'm stumped.

I have updated to latest VS SP1. I re-downloaded the entire project from SVN, rebuilt all, then rebuilt the hashtable plugin after making the needed changes. however, no matter what I do, I can't get any of the hooks to trigger the callbacks.

A bit more testing has shown the same problem with the timer and mysql plugins as well.

I've confirmed that the updated dlls/exes are loaded. The plugins are /loading/: log files are created, and the entries indicating initialization do exist. Just seems like they're not getting invoked... attaching in the debugger confirms the same; even code in hook.cpp is not executing.

Other thing worth mentioning is that there seems to be a noticeable delay (maybe half a second or so? can't tell for sure without the timer plugin Wink)

Hopefully I'm doing something really stupid that someone will spot two seconds into reading this post?

I've been having the same issue...I've put it down to Vista (in my case)
and was waiting for the dynamic hooks (rather than the hard coded ones)

Everything appears to be working, except the firing of any of the events (Get/Set functions).
The other thing of note is that the 'unloaded' message for the plug-in does not appear when you shutdown the server. - even thou it says it initialized.

Cheers
Gryphyn
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, this is weird. I moved all nwnx-related binaries to their own directory (inistead of dumping in nwn2 as I had been) and everything seem sto be fine now. Perhaps I had an older DLL or executable somewhere in the mix, and didn't realize it.

Looking for volunteers.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grinning Fool wrote:
alright, this is weird. I moved all nwnx-related binaries to their own directory (inistead of dumping in nwn2 as I had been) and everything seem sto be fine now. Perhaps I had an older DLL or executable somewhere in the mix, and didn't realize it.

Argggh! you mean it was this simple? (yes working now)
--All I did was move the files into a sub-folder (rather than the NWN2 one) and it now works. Weirdness indeed.
Thanks GF. - the simplest solutions are often the best Embarassed

Post-mortum: It seems I spoke too soon. The 2nd time I ran this - in the new folder - it reverted to the previous behavior. back to investigation.

Cheers
Gryphyn
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had any further luck Gryphyn? Has been OK for me consistently since moving the files.

Actually, it made it easier for me in more ways than one. I made a simple robocopy script to copy all DLLs and executables to c:\games\nwnx4\release or c:\games\nwnx4\debug depending on what I need.

Side note: Other good news about this release: it has fixed the 'random' firing of the handler functions that occurred when a PC exits, and caused crashes in the hashset plugin.

Looking for volunteers.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

@GF - Still no luck.
My best guess is it's Vista...but it's strange that it ran that once.
(at the office atm)
What are the files that NWNX4 creates on the fly?
(It might be Vista stopping these being updated) nwnxpid(?)

I'll try relocation to a non-Programs files folder, might make the difference.

Cheers
Gryphyn
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

sihart25 wrote:
version 1.07 works for me but 1.08 does'nt at the moment the log files say yes/successful ( i am trying the timer demo) but the module saying no nwnx4;

Ah ok... the demo modules have not been updated yet (*makes a mental note*), so they will not work with 1.08 right now.

Last edited by Papillon on Tue May 29, 2007 10:15; edited 1 time in total
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Grinning Fool/Gryphyn:

I never tried to copy the NWNX4 executeables to the NWN2 directory Smile. It is not the intended way of running NWNX now, since it's basically a big mess to throw all the files and logs into the main directory. Of course, it should work nonetheless. I'll give it a try.

I also have a evaluation version of Vista in a virtual machine now, so I could run a test how it works on Vista as well.
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon wrote:

Ah ok... the demo modules have not been updated yet (*makes a mental note*), so they will not work with 1.08 right now.

Embarassed *gets the hint* Embarassed

It should be a simple recompile with the new headers, so I aught to be able to provide those tonight. Still, I did want to do some cleanup in the mysql and sqlite mods to make them more consistent.

Looking for volunteers.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon wrote:
@Grinning Fool/Gryphyn:

I never tried to copy the NWNX4 executeables to the NWN2 directory Smile. It is not the intended way of running NWNX now, since it's basically a big mess to throw all the files and logs into the main directory. Of course, it should work nonetheless. I'll give it a try.

I also have a evaluation version of Vista in a virtual machine now, so I could run a test how it works on Vista as well.

It worked fine until 1.08 Smile
-There is much weirdness going on.
In particular that I had a successful run on moving the files, but couldn't repeat the success.
I've been cross-referencing this thread with that of the Installer issues. They may all be related to the SP1 upgrade.

**Obi's new QA policy:
Leak the patch, if people have issues they can't blame us. It's not official

Cheers
Gryphyn
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note to plugin developers:

The upcoming 1.08 beta2 introduces a simple version check mechanism between NWNX4 and NWNX4 plugins. I would like to avoid all kinds of version problems popping up, so NWNX clearly says so if it detects a version mismatch, e.g.:
Quote:
Loading plugin xp_mysql.dll: Error. The plugin is not compatible with this version of NWNX.

Valid NWNX Plugins that have been updated to 1.08 standards now have to offer the function GetPluginPointerV2 (as opposed to the older GetPluginPointer). In essence, you just have to rename the function.

Future interface changes will use the same simple mechanism.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: