logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NWNX4 Prototype 1.08 beta 2 ready
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 21:16    Post subject: NWNX4 Prototype 1.08 beta 2 ready Reply with quote

This is a continuation from this thread (NWNX4 Prototype 1.08 beta 1 ready).

Neverwinter Nights 1.06 is not far away, in fact, an early version has been available for some time on NWVault. Obsidian fixed the NWNX functions, and I was able to remove the static function locations which have been in 1.08 beta 1. So, here is it, the best, fastest, shiniest version of NWNX ever !

* NWNX4 requires at least NWN 1.06 starting with 1.08 beta 2. NWNX4 1.07 will continue to work fine with new NWN versions, but not the other way round.
* NWNX4 is now hooking the official NWNX functions dynamically (i.e. it is version independent like always)
* SQLite plugin has been updated to SQLite 3.3.17
* NWNX4 no longer load plugins from older releases. This is to prevent errors related to mismatching versions.
* Beta 2 should run on all Windows installations again. The compiler has been reverted to its previous version.
* The demo modules have been updated to work with 1.08
* All calls to NWNX are at least two times faster, compared to 1.07.

The performance improvement due to the new NWNX functions is quite nice, in fact. Here are some figures:

250 calls to SQLEncodeSpecialChars:
1.07: 4623 microseconds = 54077 quotes per second
1.08: 1452 microseconds = 172176 quotes per second

Reading 500 rows from MySQL, one column (typical for functions like GetPersistentString):
1.07: 15376 microseconds = 32518 rows per second
1.08: 7642 microseconds = 65427 rows per second

Note: Only the relative performance increase is important here. The actual figures will vary depending on your hardware. These tests where run on an AMD64 3200+ and MySQL 5.0.27.

Download here: NWNX4 Prototype 1.08 beta 2

Last edited by Papillon on Fri Jun 01, 2007 22:11; edited 2 times in total
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two noteworthy infos for plugin developers, copied from the beta 1 thread:

1) A note to plugin developers:

The upcoming 1.08 beta2 introduces a simple version check mechanism between NWNX4 and NWNX4 plugins. I would like to avoid all kinds of version problems popping up, so NWNX clearly says so if it detects a version mismatch, e.g.:
Quote:
Loading plugin xp_mysql.dll: Error. The plugin is not compatible with this version of NWNX.

Valid NWNX Plugins that have been updated to 1.08 standards now have to offer the function GetPluginPointerV2 (as opposed to the older GetPluginPointer). In essence, you just have to rename the function.

Future interface changes will use the same simple mechanism.

2) Another note:

I also downgraded to the original release version of Visual C++ Express. The SP1 behaviour of requiring end users to have the latest VC++ run time environment is not acceptable.
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news - is SVN also updated? I don't have a lot of time this weekend, but regardless would like to make a push to get several nwnx-related things completed.

Looking for volunteers.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the sources are updated now as well.
Elrahc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the update, great job!!! I don't know what we'd do without NWNX. Shocked

~Elrahc
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elrahc wrote:
Thanks a lot for the update, great job!!! I don't know what we'd do without NWNX. Shocked

~Elrahc

We'd die, and millions of PWs would die too.

Looking for volunteers.
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, now I'm confused.

I refreshed source to get the latest. Uinstalled SP1. Rebuilt all. Now when I attempt to run, I get the error that was earlier posted:
"The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect". Thoughts?

Edit: that was in debug mode; release mode works fine. When I looked in the event log, I saw this:
Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system

Now it's odd that the debug runtime would not be present, since this is the same computper that has VS installed...

Looking for volunteers.
Carter_DC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is currently no Infos on the plugin pages, wether plugins have been updated to mach the NWNX4 1.08 standards, or not...

So I'm a bit reluctant in upgrading NWNX4 to it's latest build if it means losing the ability to use my favorite plugin (the NWNX_clock.. i love TimeStamps Wink..).
GodBeastX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgraded to this, recoded my custom plugin for the system, everything works great, and in alot of ways, better than 1.07. 1.08 for the win! I don't use other people's plugins really, mysql is the only base one I use.
chris421

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can 1.08 beta2 be christened into your official download area yet?

Had a guy from the vault email me asking where the heck it was since NWN2 1.06 doesn't work with any of the older betas now.

Also, if you like I'd be happy to build an entry for you on the vault's NWN2 "Other" section. I think it'd drum up a lot of new users. After all, the game has been out 8 months. And even though you've had a working solution since day 1, they've yet to see an official NWNX4 submission.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem: My internet connection has died (and the phone as well), because of some dumb-ass at German Telekom. Yes, I'm annoyed as you can probably see Confused...

NWNX4 is still beta. The installer is missing and the docs are not what I'd like them to be, that is the main reason why I have not submitted it yet. It might be the case that this will never happen anyway, since I do not think an isolated NWNX download in the Vault helps anyone... people tend to ask questions in the comments section, and those usually get overlooked. NWNX without the forums here is only half of the fun. We'll see.

Since nobody complained about 1.08 beta 2, I'll probably try to upload it this weekend, if they manage the connection back up again.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

About publicity / marketing:

Around the time the first NWNX4 came out, I was discussing with some people that I knew from NWN1 about how the "marketing" of NWNX4 should be. We agreed that one person would be responsible for posting news about new releases, making sure that it is well represented on the major community sites, and so on. Unfortunately, nothing came of it, and I myself do not have enough time and motivation to do the programming, run the site and forums, AND do marketing.

Maybe if someone else would step up, I might focus more on that aspect in the future.
chris421

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon wrote:
people tend to ask questions in the comments section, and those usually get overlooked. NWNX without the forums here is only half of the fun.

I agree. One forum is best.

You can now post submissions with the Vault's "comments" section totally disabled. Users can't ask questions or vote if you so choose. You don't even have to maintain copies of the binaries there either. Remote links for everything.

I'm sure Maximus would love to see a NWNX4 submission. And if you need a PR guy he's great at writing fluffy articles. Might even ask to interview you.

In the midst of disastrous game-breaking patches, showing off something as innovative as NWNX4 could provide a ray of hope to an increasingly bitter NWN2 community.

Understandable if you'd like to wait until your docs are complete though. It would spare a flood of noob questions.
MaximusIGN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris421 wrote:
I'm sure Maximus would love to see a NWNX4 submission. And if you need a PR guy he's great at writing fluffy articles. Might even ask to interview you

Yes. Smile We could definitely help promote the project and take that burden off you. The community definitely would appreciate your efforts and we'd do what we can to ease the promoting burden.
http://nwvault.ign.com for all your Neverwinter Nights needs
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really deverses it's own topic, but let's abuse this one for now Wink

@Chris: What you wrote about the new options for Vault entries sounds rather promising. If you can have an entry and host the actual source or binary and the discussions somewhere else (i.e. here on nwnx.org), I'm all for it. Would this go into a special NWNX section, or would it be better to add it to an "other" section ?

@Maximus: I'd love to get some PR for NWNX, but in all honesty, I do not think I am doing a good job there right now, so I could definitely use some help. I focus on the technical issues, trying to get the best features for NWNX out, but this leaves not enough time to do proper PR at the moment. I know I am lacking here, and I'd definitely accept whatever offer you have here. I think we've done an interview in the past, and it might be a good start to repeat something similar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: