logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NWNX4 Prototype 1.08 beta 2 ready
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaximusIGN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon wrote:
@Maximus: I'd love to get some PR for NWNX, but in all honesty, I do not think I am doing a good job there right now, so I could definitely use some help. I focus on the technical issues, trying to get the best features for NWNX out, but this leaves not enough time to do proper PR at the moment. I know I am lacking here, and I'd definitely accept whatever offer you have here. I think we've done an interview in the past, and it might be a good start to repeat something similar.

An interview sounds like a great start. Smile I'll have QSWcontact you to get it rolling. Once you're ready to release it we can a lot more, like a spotlight, an ad in the top section and a major news announcement to get things started.
http://nwvault.ign.com for all your Neverwinter Nights needs
chris421

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon wrote:

@Chris: What you wrote about the new options for Vault entries sounds rather promising. If you can have an entry and host the actual source or binary and the discussions somewhere else (i.e. here on nwnx.org), I'm all for it. Would this go into a special NWNX section, or would it be better to add it to an "other" section ?

Definitely would go in either the "Other" section, or the "Tools". Wouldn't constitute creating a brand new file type in and of itself.
chris421

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratz & thanks all for your months of dedication.

i'm sure we'll see an explosion in NWNX4 use...well maybe after OEI fixes ActivatePortal and multiplayer stealth. Mad

anyway, don't forget to email Maximus about your Vault write-up.

not too often do you get to contribute something that gets truly global use.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Smile

I think NWNX + docs is now in a state that can be published on the Vault. Next step is to answer the interview questions that I received soon after the discussion here started. I might need some help / creativity there, so maybe I'll post one or two questions on the forum. Feel free to provide input !
Darnah

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm despaired.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ system with Windows 2003 64 bit. NWNX just doesn't want to run on it. It starts the server, but this is all. HELP! I'm really really despaired.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, please create a new thread for this problem. Your despair will be cured, then Smile

Oh, and do not forget to give more general info and also post your log files.
virusman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my point of view (as a plugin developer), NWNX4 1.08 has some serious disadvantages over earlier versions:
1. Set* functions are pure virtual. Why? No plugin uses all of them.
2. GameObject pointer is gone. Now it's impossible to access game object data and continue developing NWNX4 Functions.
3. No backward compatibility.

I see only 2 solutions:
1. Return to the old disasm/hooking way and solve these problems.
2. Forget about the above.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

virusman wrote:
From my point of view (as a plugin developer), NWNX4 1.08 has some serious disadvantages over earlier versions:
1. Set* functions are pure virtual. Why? No plugin uses all of them.
2. GameObject pointer is gone. Now it's impossible to access game object data and continue developing NWNX4 Functions.
3. No backward compatibility.

I see only 2 solutions:
1. Return to the old disasm/hooking way and solve these problems.
2. Forget about the above.

1. Not true...My SQLServer plugin makes use of all the functions Get & Set.
These are a major assistance in providing quicker data binding to my stored procedure (C# code).
2. Missing GameObject sucks. Stores can't be made truly persistent. (that is if you want to have player crafted objects)
3. Your point being -- NWN2 is not backwards compatible to NWN1.
--Plugin code still runs via a string based 'switch'. code can be ported.

The pre-1.07 interface is still available (source-header:10 I think)
I believe Papillion has already requested a Get/SetObject scripting function It's up to Obi to provide it (if they will) *that's where the new tech falls down, we are no longer doing it ourselves.

Oh well,
MotB is out pre-November (*source EBGames) maybe that will have what we need. *fingers-crossed*

Cheers
Gryphyn
virusman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gryphyn wrote:
1. Not true...My SQLServer plugin makes use of all the functions Get & Set.
These are a major assistance in providing quicker data binding to my stored procedure (C# code).
Right, but why all plugins must have all Set* functions, even when they don't need it (otherwise the plugin won't compile)?
Gryphyn wrote:
3. Your point being -- NWN2 is not backwards compatible to NWN1.
--Plugin code still runs via a string based 'switch'. code can be ported.
NWNX4 1.08 is not backward compatible with NWNX4 <1.07 plugins, but it could be. I didn't mention NWN1 or NWNX2 at all.
String based switch? Please explain.
Some plugins like Leto and Functions can no longer be ported.

Gryphyn wrote:
The pre-1.07 interface is still available (source-header:10 I think)
Maybe I missed something, but NWNX4 1.08 doesn't work with 1.07 plugins.
GodBeastX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for one, think 1.08 blows away 1.07. It's been much easier for complex plugin dev I've been doing. It also requires less string parsing since you get nice parameters coming in to your plugin.

The object setting is crappy yes, maybe using both methods just for this situation might help. Hooking SetLocal* I mean.
virusman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

GodBeastX wrote:
I, for one, think 1.08 blows away 1.07. It's been much easier for complex plugin dev I've been doing. It also requires less string parsing since you get nice parameters coming in to your plugin.

The object setting is crappy yes, maybe using both methods just for this situation might help. Hooking SetLocal* I mean.
I agree. Just leaving the SetLocalString hook would solve both compatibility and object pointer problems.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

virusman,

The plugin interface only really uses the GetPluginPointer() method.
-- ...V2() for 1.08

you can get backwards compatibility by leaving the V2 off.

As to the other 'prototype' methods. changing the plugin.h/cpp files should allow you to exclude the extra get/set methods.

Cheers
Gryphyn
virusman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gryphyn wrote:
-- ...V2() for 1.08

Maybe I missed something, but 1.07 plugins didn't work on 1.08 and didn't compile with the new sources. The old GetPluginPointer() is ignored. How is that a backwards compatibility?
Gryphyn wrote:
As to the other 'prototype' methods. changing the plugin.h/cpp files should allow you to exclude the extra get/set methods.
This requires recompiling the main NWNX4 executable.

I'm not just criticizing 1.08, but trying to show the possible ways to improve NWNX4 in the next versions and why I think that it's necessary. I could even work on it when I have time.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

virusman wrote:
Gryphyn wrote:
-- ...V2() for 1.08

Maybe I missed something, but 1.07 plugins didn't work on 1.08 and didn't compile with the new sources. The old GetPluginPointer() is ignored. How is that a backwards compatibility?
Gryphyn wrote:
This requires recompiling the main NWNX4 executable.

I'm not just criticizing 1.08, but trying to show the possible ways to improve NWNX4 in the next versions and why I think that it's necessary. I could even work on it when I have time.

Likewise, I'm not having a go, just trying to point out you can get what you want, all-be-it with a bit of effort. This is not to imply that you need to do it but what you want is already available, but split across the two code branches...all except GameObject, which has not been found for NWN2.

I'm not sure, from your posts, what your end goal is. I was originally only answering your 1.08 serious disadvantages. Hey there's pro's and con's with each point you make.

I personally think the new method(s) open up NWNX plugin development to a wider audience. How a plugin is written and how to get NWScript to execute the functions becomes easy. Not withstanding that you cannot do as much, GameObject data is missing, and while it might be considered an advanced aspect it is a none the less an essential building block that is lacking.

Cheers
Gryphyn
virusman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gryphyn wrote:
all except GameObject, which has not been found for NWN2.
It was found (see 1.07 sources), but then it completely disappeared in 1.08.

Gryphyn wrote:
I personally think the new method(s) open up NWNX plugin development to a wider audience. How a plugin is written and how to get NWScript to execute the functions becomes easy. Not withstanding that you cannot do as much, GameObject data is missing, and while it might be considered an advanced aspect it is a none the less an essential building block that is lacking.
I'm not against the new method, it's really faster and simplier, but the old SetLocalString hook could be left for backwards compatibility and ability to get GameObject pointer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: