logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Net Override (not really an NWNX plugin) (version 1.0)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
acaos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:51    Post subject: Net Override (not really an NWNX plugin) (version 1.0) Reply with quote

I've created a net override module that can be added to your LD_PRELOAD after the NWNX modules.

When loaded, this module will associate any incoming connection with a CD key. Until it detects a disconnect, no other CD key will be allowed to connect from the same host and port. This prevents the double LAN login problem which causes weirdness and bugginess on servers.

If a player crashes out or otherwise does not disconnect properly, they will need to reconnect and disconnect before they can change CD keys.

In addition, this module statically compiles in DNS for the Bioware and Gamespy servers. We've had problems in the past on Higher Ground where we were unable to get DNS for them, and it led to the servers pausing for 30 seconds or more every few minutes. This prevents that issue.

This module has been running on Higher Ground for a week or so now and the problems should be ironed out, but any bug reports are appreciated.

This module is released under the GPL. I forgot to put the header in, but I'll refresh the version on the server shortly.

http://dl.hgweb.org/nwnx/netoverride-1.1.tar.gz

Adds double lan login blocking
    Adds DNS override for Bioware servers

Acaos

Last edited by acaos on Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:09; edited 2 times in total
ExileStrife

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be reposted? >_>

(the link seems to be broken)
Makazasky

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said on my other post... i was connecting multiple player on my server so that it dont look empty... and it wasn't crashing it.

I tryed the same on HG without any problem :

Same cd key, ip, port, machine... different players

If i had more than 300 mb ram i could fill the server Wink
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not possible on HG, which means you must've been using different ports. That, or months of playtest on 8 servers has somehow missed something. I'm betting on different ports. Razz

Funky
Makazasky

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know how to prove that Razz .... but i was using the same port
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how to prove you weren't. Here are the logs of your successful logins:

Code:
[Sun May 11 20:57:53] >>> ID: Makazasky5; UID: 115-1210534626-115; Name: test2; CD Key:VDKM67LV; IP:69.70.[omitted]:45294; has logged in.
[Sun May 11 20:57:54] >>> ID: Makazasky4; UID: 115-1210534626-116; Name: test1; CD Key:VDR96GKL; IP:69.70.[omitted]:45293; has logged in.
[Sun May 11 21:36:36] >>> ID: Makazasky5; UID: 115-1210534626-115; Name: test2; CD Key:VDKM67LV; IP:69.70.[omitted]:45313; has logged in.
[Sun May 11 21:57:33] >>> ID: Makazasky5; UID: 115-1210534626-115; Name: test2; CD Key:VDKM67LV; IP:69.70.[omitted]:45326; has logged in.
[Sun May 11 22:02:49] >>> ID: Makazasky5; UID: 115-1210534626-115; Name: test2; CD Key:VDKM67LV; IP:69.70.[omitted]:45326; has logged in.
[Sun May 11 22:02:53] >>> ID: Makazasky6; UID: 115-1210534626-139; Name: Test1; CD Key:VDKM67LV; IP:69.70.[omitted]:45376; has logged in.
[Sun May 11 22:04:56] >>> ID: Makazasky7; UID: 115-1210534626-140; Name: test3; CD Key:VDKM67LV; IP:69.70.[omitted]:45377; has logged in.

As you can see the ports are all different, save for when you relogged with the same playername, not a different one. It looks like they're being dynamically assigned by your router. A fact for which most admins should be ever so thankful, for only some routers allow the problem double ip/port login. Otherwise, the problem would be much more rampant.

Funky
Makazasky

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explain why i dont crash anything Razz
acaos

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link has been changed to a live one.

Acaos
ExileStrife

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for rehosting this!
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

could same port and IP did this?:
duplicate character, this character is still in game and can be pickpocketed, killed etc.
copy this character to many, many accounts on server
some characters see whereever what should see that character, see any chat twice, and aren't in player list
and so on...
milliorn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaDoOoW wrote:
could same port and IP did this?:
duplicate character, this character is still in game and can be pickpocketed, killed etc.
copy this character to many, many accounts on server
some characters see whereever what should see that character, see any chat twice, and aren't in player list
and so on...

Your 100% right.
weldieran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the 1.69 update, we've experienced oddities while having netoverride running. Many have reported that they can see the server, but not the # of players nor the module running. When they click to join the server, it timesout on attempting to connect.

This has actually even happened to myself numerous times before disabling the netoverride.

Coincidence or something fishy?
acaos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really odd. We do get rare reports of similar problems on HG, but apparently it's hitting you much more often. What flavor of Linux are you running, and are you seeing many denied or error messages in the netoverride log when it happens?

There is one definite cause of this - if you crash out or kill NWN without properly logging out, if you try to log back in with a different CD key from the same IP address, you will be refused.

When you have the problem yourself, are you dual-boxing or playing with two separate copies of NWN?

Acaos
weldieran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

acaos wrote:
That is really odd. We do get rare reports of similar problems on HG, but apparently it's hitting you much more often. What flavor of Linux are you running, and are you seeing many denied or error messages in the netoverride log when it happens?

There is one definite cause of this - if you crash out or kill NWN without properly logging out, if you try to log back in with a different CD key from the same IP address, you will be refused.

When you have the problem yourself, are you dual-boxing or playing with two separate copies of NWN?

Acaos

what's a denied line look like? i don't have the word denied or deny anywhere in my long long history of netoverride log

However, when it happened to me, what I see is my first attempt gets bound, yet i was not granted access to the server.

Then i attempt again 30 seconds later, and it binds me again. No release in between, no denied messages. The darn thing won't let me in until i reset the server once this starts.

Running Fedora6 here.

No multiple copies of nwn, nor multiple connections. I'm the only one on my network that attempts to connect.
acaos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would look something like this:

Code:
[2008-08-08 02:05:29] rejected double lan login from A.B.C.D:5120 by PlayerName (ABCDEFGH) [v20]

Is there any chance you could PM me a chunk of the log file (and hopefully some of the nwserverLog1.txt file as well) from around the time the problem is happening? That would help a lot.

Are you personally using multiple player names, cd keys, or computers (or more than one of the above)?

Also, is your server on 32-bit or 64-bit Fedora? The output of a 'uname -a' would be great.

Thanks,
Acaos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: