logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Locked Loaded and ready to fire... Hmm what now

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Styxx42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:30    Post subject: Locked Loaded and ready to fire... Hmm what now Reply with quote

I have MySQL loaded and running with proper credentials and DB,
I launched the demo ASP module, all signs worked with the correct answer on the third sign.
I checked my nwn db (using GUI)and it has the two tables. Don't under stand right now what they consist of but I am happy to see them there.
I check my log in the log.0 root and it indicates that everything is working great.

I check my log.0 folder and it is creating the rotated logs as it should.

Do I need to do something else to get the persistence working.
Total NOOB here. BTW. From what I read the tables that are setup with the scripts I imported into my module and added to on load etc make a base persistent world.

I move my character, exit. Kill server allow NWNX to relaunch server and I am back at the beginning.
I try saving before exit and it is the same.

Am I missing the fact I have to custom what I want persistent?
Or have I just missed something.

My Log file says
NWNX ODBC2 plugin V.0.9.2.4
(c) 2005 by Ingmar Stieger (Papillon) and Jeroen Broekhuizen
visit us at http://www.nwnx.org

o Logfile maximum size limit is: 524288 bytes
o Log level: Everything will be logged.
o Using MySQL connection.
o Hooking SCO....hooked at 5d5830
o Hooking RCO....hooked at 5d5710
o Connect successful.

Now My nwserverlog1 has a boat load of stuff in it ,

Can anyone point me to more information or kick me in the right direction?

Thanks
I just want a basic 5 player server that remembers module progression that I can make changes to the module with out resetting all the quests etc.

Maybe that is a tall order.. I don't know yet.

Thanks
Fireboar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody can magically do that for you. You can either use the in-game save feature, or make some big changes to your module.

For example, to persist location you have to save the PC's location at a convenient interval through scripts, by converting it to a string (there's an APS function for this) and storing that string in a database. SetPersistentLocation would also do the job, albeit inefficiently.

You'd then have to have some sort of initialization variable on the PC, and have that checked and set when they log in. If the variable isn't found, the script should also jump the PC to the saved location, plus any other things that you have saved.

That's the gist of it. For a 5 player module though, if it's not persistent I'd recommend using the save.
Styxx42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireboar wrote:
Nobody can magically do that for you. You can either use the in-game save feature, or make some big changes to your module.

That's the gist of it. For a 5 player module though, if it's not persistent I'd recommend using the save.

Thanks for the info Fireboar.

I don't want anyone to do it for me. I just wanted to know what to expect from setting this all up and what a preconfigured MySQL database does once you open the ASP module and setup the tables.

If I need to read more about this and was hoping for some direction is all.

In the mean time I am combing the forums hoping to come on it.
Is the Bioware NWNX group dead? Doesn't seem to be much talk in there about it.

Back to digging.
Zebranky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't much documentation about how to set up larger, high-level persistence with NWNX, as everyone has different needs and ways to approach them. Fireboar's advice about using the built-in save is sound -- assuming this is going to be a relatively short-term campaign rather than something that's up all the time for at least several months, the setup may not be worth it.

On the other hand, if I were building a similar campaign, I'd absolutely use NWNX, but that's because I've been using it for years. Wink

Assuming you do want to stick with NWNX, Fireboar's overview of persistent location is valid. Persistent quests are somewhat simpler, though there's nothing to handle them automagically, so you need to set and check persistent vars as needed (e.g. SetPersistentInt(oPC, "FarmerQuestState", 2) when the PC has agreed to rescue the farmer's daughter from the fire beetles, or whatever).

Like I said, there's not much documentation per se, but there are plenty of experienced folks happy to help you out. Aside from here, if you're familiar with IRC, I often lurk in #nwscript on chat.neverwinterconnections.com. Some form of real-time chat works a lot better for this than forum posts back and forth.

<Fluffy-Kooshy> NWNx plugin is to this as nuclear warheads are to getting rid of fire ants.

<ThriWork> whenever I hear nwn extender, I think what does NWN need a penis extender for?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: