logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PostgreSQL plugin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemesisghost

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 14:23    Post subject: PostgreSQL plugin Reply with quote

I guess this would be considered an introduction.

After looking around here to see if there was anything being done to support other DBMS's besides MySQL, I found that there just wasn't. And since I try to avoid MySQL like the plague and seeing no alternative, I decided to write a plugin for PostgreSQL.

The one drawback I have is that I'm not particularly fond of testing, especially if I have to try & test something outside of what I need. I also don't have anything setup yet to test this. So if anybody is interested let me know.

One other thing. I had to compile from source my own copy of libpq, PostgreSQL's C interface library, because I am working out of VC2010 and the one that came with PostgreSQL for Windows isn't compatible. So I don't know if that will be required to get this to work elsewhere. I do know that I'm using function calls that are only available in PostgreSQL 9.0+.
nemesisghost

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished coding this up. I think I've got everything that's needed, now I just need some testers.

In the next couple of days or so I'll be trying to rework the demo modules so that they will work with this plugin. But having others with different setups from mine will greatly help in making sure I didn't miss anything and finding out what is needed to get this to work.
Ronan

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you want to use Postgres over MySQL?

Where can I find the source and/or binaries for the plugin?
nemesisghost

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronan wrote:
What makes you want to use Postgres over MySQL?

Where can I find the source and/or binaries for the plugin?

There's a few reasons I prefer Postgres over MySQL. Probably the biggest is which SQL standard each complies with. Postgres complies with a more recent standard that MySQL. Also, Postgres allows for Object Oriented tables and a lot better scripting. But that's a discussion for another time.

I don't have the source put anywhere public yet. There are a few things I need look at & try to fix before I would be able to add it to the SVN repository. If you want it, message me w/ your email and I'll email it to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: