logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7 Hour Crash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BelowTheBelt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:25    Post subject: 7 Hour Crash Reply with quote

Hey all,

So, this is not strictly about NWNx, but I figure this is probably the most qualified group to answer technical questions.

I've noticed consistently that between 7-8 hours online, my mod crashes (and NWNx then restarts it). Usually the server is empty, as I'm testing it and leave it up between updates.

Is this normal? My concern is that there's some memory leak that either I've introduced through scripting or in the game itself. I use minimal hb scripts and from looking at the NWNx profiler logs, nothing seems amiss off the bat. Does running the profiler impact performance?

What do others experience in terms of PW uptime between reboots? How/what tools do you use to examine CPU performance of the game over time?

I've read threads about servers that go a week or so between reboots and I'm trying to reconcile my performance with those anecdotal comments.

Apologies for all the questions, I'm just trying to figure out a place to start my investigation.

Thanks!
Lokey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need some more description, size of module and amount of comp resources used.

In general ~10 simultaneous players for not that long a time...should be able to stay up for weeks barring hitting one of the many ceilings in nwn. Even then, shouldn't just fall over.
BelowTheBelt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been gathering data.

Here are some module specs:
~55meg module filesize
~300 areas
Running NWNx with the following plugins: areas, chat, events, fixes, funcs, leto, odbc, profiler, resetplugin, resman, time (not all of these are actively running in the module, however - like areas and resetplugin)

Server specs:
Model: HP XW300
CPU: 3.4ghz Dual Core (NWN affinity set to CPU 1 in ini file)
Memory: 2 gig

I've run perfmon on the system and it appears that the memory usage of the server constantly increases as the server runs until available memory is used up and the server resets via NWNx.

When I look at the nwserver application via taskmanager, memory usage also appears to increase, albeit at a non-linear rate (the memory usage increases are not the same each time) and the timing of the increases is not consistent (some increases may be as soon a <1 second between them and other stretch out more than 6 seconds).

So, not being too knowledgeable about servers my intuition says that this is a memory leak.

What are the specific causes of memory leaks in NWN (i.e. what script commands can cause them - SetLocalString? DelayCommand?) My use of hb scripts is fairly minimal, though there are some - mostly related to the subrace system.

How would you reccommend I proceed to discover them (and utterly destroy in unmerciless fury)?

Thanks for the help.
BelowTheBelt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update, I was able to successfully identify and remove the issue causing the memory to be consumed by the nwserver client, though not sure if it qualifies as a true "memory leak". Testing since making my changes resulted in 3+ days of solid uptime with marginal consumption of memory. Given the memory consumption pacing I've seen, the server could remain up for 6 months without a reboot (will vary based on the number of players on).

It was actually quite the experience to use the profiler to track down the root script causing the issue, identify the problem(s), make changes, and see the results so dramatically.

One more way that NWNx saves the day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: