logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multi-module realms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KymlunAdmin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 18:30    Post subject: Multi-module realms Reply with quote

Hello,

We are looking to connect multiple servers in NWN1 via NWNX. We want to have multiple servers with teleport points/transitions between them, but be able to share the player list and chat so it looks to the players as if they're all on one server.
- Instancing of the player housing system.
- Instancing of dungeons and miscellanous areas.
Where do we begin?
There are professional programmers on our team they just have no time to reverse engineer the game and we were wondering if anybody in the community who have been working on it, know of this?

best regards,
Kymlun Team
elven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most obvious approach would be to use either a database, or a messaging queue to share information.

Any generic MQ would be sufficient to share chat and game state information. You'd probably use nwnx_jvm, nwnx_ruby, or similar, to run the endpoint for that.

As to sharing the player list, that is not as simple. It would require some nwserver patching, and I don't think it's that good an idea anyways - it would mess with a lot of things like scripts and internal intrinsics.

Area instancing can be done with nwnx_areas; there's a dedicated thread for that.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 17:57    Post subject: nwnx_kewl Reply with quote

Terra_777 made a version of nwnx_kewl for win32 - you would need to port it.

it, as far as I know, is the only plugin that facilitates a network communication socket on a separate thread than the nwn server.

It allows external applications to send messages to nwnx, and then have the messages trigger actions in the game world instantly - without the need for a Polling / Database heartbeat.

Its basically like nwnx events - where an ingame event, triggers c++ code, which then calls a script in the game.

Instead, a network message, gets picked up on a specific port, which then calls a script in game, which parses the message, and acts accordingly.

This system would be great for implimenting all sorts of backend systems.
Database, Forum, paypal transactions. Lol
elven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is mostly doable with nwnx_jvm as well (nwnx_ruby is still 1.8, no native threading - meaning all other threads are stuck until nwserver yields).

As I understand your post, Baaleos, nwnx_kewl hooks into the main() loop to allow arbitary script VM execution? Where is the sourcecode to that?

nwnx_jvm doesn't allow calling into the nwscript VM at any time; only while executing scripts. In practice, for a slow-paced game/engine like NWN, this is only an academic limitation given a high enough event rate.

One could just embed (for example) libzmq, or any other MQ stack, and make up a inter-server protocol to exchange messages just like Baaleos said. I'd sort of advise against rolling your own bare-socket stack, though.
KymlunAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, both of you. Meanwhile a friend has advised us to rather use ResMan and UpdateArea as it would better suit our purpose. We might yet return to this concept. Apparently a server called "Higher Ground" has achieved a marvelous system for the multi-module solution.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://95.109.119.126/Terra/nwnx_kewl.rar

From what I can tell, it runs on its own thread (the socket) - I may be wrong though.

When it receives a communication, it inserts / makes a VirtualMachine call to the nwnscript - providing the message that it received.

I havent implimented its use yet, but I plan to.
To allow web applications etc on the local machine, to directly influence the PW, without the need for heartbeat/db calls.
Terra_777

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes.

It hooks the mainloop which calls the virtual machine. I'm very unfamiliar with networking so don't expect it to be amazing or even secure. Its an experiment, but it does work to externally pop nwscript atleast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: