logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Step Into the Linux World
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
henesua

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I appreciate all that advice you gave before. I apologize for not responding. The thing is that I keep a very tight budget on computers if it isn't something I am using for work. So buying a computer to play with NWNX wasn't an option no matter how cheap. In other words, I'm poor. Smile

This past week, however, I've been offered the use of an AMD machine. Will that work with NWNX linux? I assume it will, but would appreciate confirmation.

The info I've been given:
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2
graphics card: GForce 6800 GT OC

Don't know what the CPU is yet, but that board is designed to work with AMD. Only has a 400 mhz bus, but beggars can't be choosers.

Any advice as to which version of Ubuntu to use with this, baby? And advice about getting NWNX running on it?

I'm getting fairly excited about this as Ubuntu on PPC never worked very well for me and my little intel based laptop did not have any room for a third OS.
Lokey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's x86, fine there (athlon xp cpus). Drivers might be a bit of a headache with a bleeding edge distro, so use one with good compatibility with 10+ year old tech, which should be any major one. It's not so old that you have to go for puppy or something, deb or buntu should be fine.
henesua

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be running into driver issues already. ubuntu installed, but crashes soon after launch in the gui. haven't tested CLI yet - will do so when I get a chance. I suspect the video card.

Using Ubuntu LTS 12.04.01
Lokey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many old vid cards were dropped in the current drivers (i.e. anything before 6000series nVidia). Try another driver or you made need a different window manager...if you want a workstation instead of a server I'd say look elsewhere besides buntu for a starting point.

Your post suggests many other problems that lack enough detail to address.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: