logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New client for the Community Patch project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 14:04    Post subject: New client for the Community Patch project Reply with quote

Hello, I am near final release of the Community Patch 1.71 and due to the latest issue with gamespy I think that this is a good opportunity to distribute a new client with my project.

1) Can I use the NWNCX source for this purpose?
2) Is anyone willing to help with that?

I have a little different vision of how such client should look like. And the current NWNCX doesnt met my standarts. I am willing to distribute NWNCX as it is if you allow me that but if it would be possible I think that some adjustions should be made:
1) detract the plugin framework. While this is great for a development and developers, not so much for a players. And I am trying to make a new standard - client enhancements like open-faced helmets, custom weapon vfxes, custom beams doesnt need to be divided into several plugins, thats a bit standard imo
This custom client would then be cut off from ongoing NWNX development. Developers would be point to the plugin architecture and original sources to make adjustments.
2) possibly custom exe that runs and hooks original nwmain.exe 1.69
3) possibly no DLL or maximally one if it cannot work without it.
4) using only the less agressive method of hooking in order to avoid false AV alarms or blocking by firewall. I dont know which method is that - maybe the current NWNCX already solved this problem and is able to run under any AV,FW,winOS without security warnings.

Ok, so hows this community stands with project like this?
virusman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really think this is a good reason to fragment the community and the code by doing another fork of NWNCX.
All of these things, if made with sufficient quality, can be part of the official NWNCX distro.
ShaDoOoW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

virusman wrote:
I don't really think this is a good reason to fragment the community and the code by doing another fork of NWNCX.
I dont understand, thats why I posted this and asked this exact community for help instead of made "another fork" of NWNCX myself. Thats why I sent you the source of the polish client I had with features NWNCX doesn't allow instead of use that client and try to port features from NWNCX there.
And I don't understand how making a special distro of NWNCX for the use of my project only, would fragment anything. If players gonna like it more than original NWNCX it would be an opportunity to change the current NWNCX design.
Quote:
All of these things, if made with sufficient quality, can be part of the official NWNCX distro.
So you agree with the points I made then (im not sure I understand now, but I assume that you do)? So lets say, you or me do that and incorporate these changes into official NWNCX - would you then allowed me to distribute the NWNCX within my project? Or more specifically since you haven't answered: do you allow me to distribute current NWNCX (without any modification) within my project?
virusman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making a special modified 'unofficial' public distro is exactly what a fork is. It just makes supporting the codebase more difficult. As I said, I have nothing against these modifications, and they can be included in the main codebase without having to do a separate project for it. If someone can come up with better patcher or loader or plugin/module API or whatever, I'd be glad to include that.
And sure, you can distribute NWNCX with anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: