logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nwnx_chat 0.4.0.0b needing testing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
addicted2rpg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:28    Post subject: nwnx_chat 0.4.0.0b needing testing Reply with quote

The changes were quite extensive, more than a minor dot release, so I felt it was appropriate to version it this way than to do a 0.3.6.0. I think its release ready, but I don't have the gall to ask virusman to post on the downloads page without some good community testing.

Download of the DLL binary only (do not pass on this link without the accompanying one for purposes of observing the GPL)-
http://mzbj.com/~cs60/nwnx_chat-4.0.0.rar

Full Download of source code, binaries, documentation, etc.., also includes the custom edition of NWNX for 64bit compat -
http://mzbj.com/~cs60/nwnx2-windows-8-23-2013.rar
(more plugins will be added to this version of nwnx as I test them)

For GIT users-
SSH - git@github.com:addicted2rpg/NWNX2-windows.git
HTTP - https://github.com/addicted2rpg/NWNX2-windows.git
------------------------

Changes:
-64-bit OS compatibility; Still works with 32-bit OS's.
-Removed MadCHook dependency
-commented NSS file. Should look nice and meaningful in the toolset's script editor.
-added example INI data for the nwnx.ini file for [CHAT]
-Fixed crashes (knock on wood thats all of them)
-NWNXChat_SendMessage() should work.

Testing it needs-
-Running it with older versions of NWNX?
-Are there any unforseen problems under a load (big server, lots of users, etc..)?
-Any setups PW maintainers have that I haven't thought of?
virusman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is stable and supports CCMessage, you can name it 1.0.0.
addicted2rpg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't have that yet, though maybe someday later. My primary concern is thread safety. One of the reasons for using multiple heaps is in multithreaded environments, so my use of attaching memory onto one of their heaps has me a bit concerned, but from what I could see in IDA no locking issues appear imminent. However, threading can be deceitful in C let alone in assembler, so I feel load testing is warranted.
Baaleos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 13:53    Post subject: Some feedback Reply with quote

Hi Addicted -
looks like it might have solved my problems.

Module used to crash instantly - but now it is going steady (only been up for 10 minutes so far, but its better than nothing)

Some observations Ive noted:
perhaps they can be improved in future versions?

1. the nwnx chat logs seem to be protected/locked - while the process is active - in the previous dll, I was able to access these in real time, without getting a readonly/locked message. Can you perhaps modify the dll to allow sharing of the log file?

2. The nwnx application/module itself, the log rotation functionality has regressed to the numbered folders (1,2,3,4,5,6 etc)
I kinda like having date-time stamped folders.

Thanks for the chat plugin
You probably saved my PW
Baaleos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

No such luck

I just re-connected my nwnx odbc back to my mySQL Server, and it crashes after 47 seconds of loading time.

Faulting application nwserver.exe, version 1.6.9.0, time stamp 0x486cfaee, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6002.18541, time stamp 0x4ec3e3d5, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000665c9, process id 0x%9, application start time 0x%10.

Strangely enough though - It gets a new error in the event viewer too

Application: nwserver.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 77CF65C9

Still investigating Sad
Baaleos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 15:56    Post subject: Managed to get around it Reply with quote

Seems the issue seems to be an incompatibility with nwnx and windows server 2008+

I managed to get the server/module to run on a public windows 2003 AMI

I originally thought the issue was due to the amazon virtualization, but it seems to be working for 2003, while 2008 crashes instantly.

If you need a 2008 server to test/debug with, let me know, I can spin one up for you.
addicted2rpg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use my versions of odbc, nwnx-module, and nwnx.exe?

One way to tell is take madCHook.dll out of the directory, since mine doesn't use it. If you have any old files in there, they will die when they try to load the DLL (and you'll know they are old). This might mean temporarily disabling some of your other plugins.
highv priest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to this, I have plans on introducing a whole new generation of nwn gamers to this game. The game is cheap(arguably open source free), the work you guys have done allows infinite availability, and there is a major desire for a game like this. While the players I'm bringing in will most know of my server I'm giving them this website to try all sorts of places out there: http://nwnserverlist.com/index.php?juego=&tipopart

I'm an avid gamer that jumps on board a different game pretty much every week and I'm just not getting the sense of enjoyment I still get in nwn. I want this game to live on forever and we as developers have the ability to do exactly that.

I can only hope however that we all sit back and CHILL and not try to steal players from each other like before. In the mean time I would advise those of you watching to make your server's have less of a learning curve. The player's I'm bringing in are from the dozens of MMOs I play/played and anime/Magic The Gathering forums I post on.

This plugin allows proper chat protection( IE ignore) and makes NPCs less annoying(don't need to talk in talk all the time) and I really feel this is desperately needed.
addicted2rpg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

New version, found another crash and fixed it, simplified some stuff.

http://mzbj.com/~cs60/nwnx_chat-4.0.1.rar

Also, known issue: Windows 2008 is incompatible, and I have no plans to support it in the forseeable future. Target OS' remain XP-32/64, Win7-32/64.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: