logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Server hang/freeze

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:48    Post subject: Server hang/freeze Reply with quote

Hi!

I decided to create a new topic for this, maybe easier for search.
It's about the server-hang, when the nwserver process do not segfault, but stuck at 98-125% CPU utilization (the latter happens on my linux virtual machine under hyper-v with 2 virtual cpu), every player times out, the server vanish from the server-browser, and logging stops.
Anyone found a solution, or fix? In old threads i found some clues, but those are probably already fixed in 1.69.
On my server, it happens almost every day. First i thought this caused by some SCO/RCO activity. Next i thought it could be the external compiler (using Skywing's), so i compiled with the internal one. It was okay for 2 days...
I attached the gdb to the hanged process, did a simple backtrace, and got this:
http://pastebin.com/GcRuCnvm
http://pastebin.com/Xg0AeezV

Talked to Skywing about this, and as you see, it's stucked somewhere in the AI. Can it be a bugged tileset? Last time there were only 3 players in-game, on standard tileset (CEP modified tilesets actually). I'm really running out of ideas.

R.
Ravine

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

After months of struggling, Virusman was so kind to check my hang-bug. He's epic sorcery shed some light on the subject: looks like it was the CEP's "Armor stand" creature.
It's somehow a special creature, modified in the model-level (in toolset, it's an armor-stand, above a rotated bench). In game, somehow they became bumpable and movable by npc-bump after i gave them some armor. And when they tried to occupy the same location, caused the infinite loop in the safe-location search.

Many thanks to Virusman for the debug Smile
Ravine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

i'm experiencing new server-hangs, but this time it's related to DM's. I have only one DM. Sometimes if he enters the game, the server hangs. About once-twice in a month.
Probably it's never gonna be solved, but i've attached gdb to the hanged process, and done a 'bt':
Code:

(gdb) bt
#0  0x0829f1c6 in CNetLayerWindow::UnpacketizeFullMessages(int) ()
#1  0x082a07c3 in CNetLayerInternal::ProcessReceivedFrames(int) ()
#2  0x080a04f4 in CServerExoAppInternal::MainLoop(void) ()
#3  0x0804bbe7 in main ()

Still in NWN1.
domaine

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

with every pc you use for dm ?
even with a pc without any items in the inventory ?
do you have dmfi installed ? try unistalling it
virusman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this backtrace is not enough to find the cause. Investigating hangs, unlike crashes, requires examining the memory of the entire process while it's running.
Looks like some bug in networking code.
Ravine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domaine: sorry i don't know, it's hard to reproduce.
I don't use dmfi, only the standard cep23 stuff, plus some custom tools which uses nwnx_event.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: