logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 basic questions about NWNX

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HipMaestro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 16:18    Post subject: 3 basic questions about NWNX Reply with quote

I am very new to the customization universe, being essentially a "hit 'n miss" scripter, meaning... the big picture is not that clear but using the available resources like code examples, the Lilac Soul/TK generator and the Lexicon I am able to piece together enough code to resolve my goals most times (although I'm certain an experienced scripter would view the resultant script I use as clunky or inefficient). With that said, I am faced with a problem that seems only NWNX can help me solve. I was informed that there was an OnExamine event available thru NWNX that could control the viewing of item descriptions so here I am diving in without snorkel gear.

First question...

It appears that NWNX was designed primarily for multiplayer. The brief description states that players need not download any haks or overrides to play on a server that is running it. But what about single player modules? Will the NWNX events and functions integrate with the module resources for others to use without it running or must NWNX always be operating in the background to utilize its features "as is"? I suspect a hak or override may be needed in the case of SP modules but I would like to know beforehand.

Second question...

Seeing as how, at the moment, I only seek to resolve this one issue using the OnExamine event, what files are required to do just that much? I am guessing the Core and Events files but am not 100% sure. (I would like to limit the download to prerequisites only if possible.)

Third question (related to the second)...

Can I just add additional pieces (files) of NWNX functionality as needs arise or must I download several in some logical, perhaps synchronous sequence?

Any clarification of these issues would be greatly appreciated,
TIA
luna

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is to the best of my knowledge

1) Multiplayer only.

2) I'm not sure

3) Generally you can grab and run what you want.
virusman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, NWNX is primarily multiplayer-based. Although you can run NWNX on the client with NWNCX->NWNX bridge, very few plugins support running on the client. Those that haven't been adapted will crash. Plus, this requires the player to run both NWNCX and NWNX to play the module.
OnExamine - yes, NWNX base files + Events plugin.
Only the core / base NWNX files are required. All plugins are optional and you can use them in any combination.
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:15    Post subject: Hosting LAN Reply with quote

You cannot use nwnx2 functions without nwnx2 running....
No matter what .dll you have installed in your nwn folder...

It won't work in single player (offline)

but it WILL work offline (e.g. non-server) IF you are hosting the module with nwnx2....

Meaning, even though you are NOT connected to the internet, you can still use nwnx2 to launch nwn server.exe and run a server "offline", well as a LAN server....

So when you go to log in to multiplayer as normal, you will need to go to the LAN button.... Your server (offline) will be listed under LAN...

That's the only two ways to use nwnx2 as a Server or on a LAN (online or offline)...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: