logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nwnx2 and wine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yago

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:26    Post subject: nwnx2 and wine Reply with quote

Hello,

I am building a NWN server under linux but using the Windows version of the dedicated server so that players will be able to use Whirlwind attack.

I am attempting to implement the nwnx specifically for the FIXES functions that allow disabling of the player characters' classes and levels to appear in the player list at login.

Even though both nwserver.exe and NWNX2.exe run just fine under wine, the functions listed in the [FIXES] section of the NWNX.ini do not seem to be taken into effect. I checked the nwnx_fixes.txt log and it shows the following:

Code:
NWNX Fixes V.1.0.5 for Windows
(c) by virusman, 2007-2009
visit us at http://www.nwnx.org

* Module loaded successfully.
* Signature recognition failed. Some functions will be disabled.

I am not sure how to proceed. My NWNX.ini file looks like this:

Code:
; NWNX2 configuration file
; These are the default values for NWNX2. Values specified on the command
; line take precedence.

[NWNX]
disablenwnxinit=y
ServerPort = 5121
ModuleName = "You betchaaaaa"
WatchdogProcess = yes
UpdateIntervalProcess = 5
WatchdogGamespy = no
UpdateIntervalGamespy = 20
GamespyRetries = 5
OldGamespyProtocol = no
RestartDelay = 5

[Debug]
debuglevel=0

[LogDir]   
logdir=logs.0

[PROFILER]
debuglevel=1
scriptparts=0
MaxLogSize = 512 ; in KByte
LogLevel = 1 ; 1=overall statistics, 2=full script callstack

[ODBC2]
; Log file
MaxLogSize = 512 ; in KByte
LogLevel = 2 ; 0=nothing, 1=only errors, 2=everything

; Use these two settings for the SQLite internal database
source = sqlite
file   = sqlite.db

; Use these two settings for ODBC connections
;source = odbc
;dsn    = nwn

; Use these five settings for MySQL connections
;source = mysql
;server = localhost
;user   = nwn
;pwd    = nwn
;db     = nwn

; Set hookscorco to false if you want to disable hooking of
; StoreCampaignObject and RetrieveCampaignObject entirely
hookscorco = true

;; Alphabetical following

;[CHAT]
;chat_script=
;server_script=
;processnpc=0
;ignore_silent=0

;[EVENTS]
;event_script=script_name

[FIXES]
;copy_vars = 0                   # Copy local variables on stack split and on
;                                #   store transaction, fire OnDisturbed when you
;                                #   merge a stack from a placeable.
;compare_vars = 0                # If set to 1, items with different local vars
;                                #   don't stack.
;keep_hidden_in_conversation = 0 # If set to 1, creatures don't unhide when they
;                                #   start a conversation.
;hp_limit = -10                  # Negative HP limit - values up to -127 are
;                                #   allowed.
;
;hide_charlist_all = 0           # Hide the whole online characters list on login
;                                #   (appears empty).
hide_charlist_dms = 1           # Hide dm's on the online characters list on login
hide_charlist_levels = 1        # Hide the class(es) (displays nothing instead of
;                                #   class list).
;hide_charlist_portraits = 0     # Hide the portrait (shows default male/female
;                                #   portrait).
;cap_ability_inc=12              # Amount by which an ability can be increased by effects
;cap_ability_dec=12              # Amount by which an ability can be decreased by effects
;cap_atkbonus_inc=20             # Amount of attack bonus allowed by effects
;cap_atkbonus_dec=20             # Amount effects may decrease ab
;cap_skill_inc=50                # Amount effects may increase skills
;cap_skill_dec=50                # Amount effects may decrease skills

;[LETO]                          # Functions without settings.

;[RESOURCEMANAGER]
;MaxLogSize = 512 ; in KByte
;LogLevel   = 1 ; 0= nothing, 1=Resource Manager specific info, 2=list of all loaded resources
;; Where Resource Manager loads the scripts from. Note the trailing slash.
;;SourcePath = scripts/chapter1/
;SourcePath = scripts/

;[RUBY]
;preload=/path/to/preload.rb

It's entirely possible the answer to this is "Don't run Windows programmes under Linux!" or "Run the Linux version!", and if that has t be the case, then so be it. But until I know I can not both have my cake AND eat it, it would be nice to be able to implement the hiding of player character classes AS WELL as being able to have the Whirlwind Attack feat function properly. And some might say "Then just run the Windows version under Windows" and if that's what it has to be.. I might just have to do that...

But any an all insights are welcome and appreciated.
Yago

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I continue to troubleshoot, I've done the same set upon a Windows XP machine and though the log for nwnx_fixes.txt is no longer showing the "Signature recognition failed. Some functions will be disabled." message, the player list is still showing the character classes and levels for each player character.

I am thinking this isn't a wine issue anymore but something to do with my nwnx.ini, maybe it has bogus characters in it, or maybe I've missed something in how to set it up (specifically the [FIXES] section). It seems whatever I have in the [FIXES] section is being ignored. As to why, the hunt for the culprit continues.
Yago

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

New theory!

The Fixes module for nwnx, in Windows has a latest version that ends in a 5 and the latest for Linux ends with a 7... the history readmes with each of those aforementioned versions has an update for the "hide" functions in the linux version (that ends with a 7), but nothing mentioned about such an update in the Windows version

So my new theory is that the linux latest version works for hiding character levels and classes, and the windows version does not. Since the source code seems to be included in both packages, I am wondering if it's possible to use the source code in the latest linux one and make a new windows .dll with that - did I just prove that I know nothing about programming and have never compiled a thing in my life (other than maybe a list of chores to do around the house)?
virusman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Linux and Windows versions are completely different, you won't be able to cross-compile.
I really recommend running Linux version of NWNX on Linux.
As for Whirlwind, have you tried this workaround?
http://www.nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1498
Yago

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi virusman,

Thank you for the response!

I did run the linux version of the server and the nwnx2 for many years, and during that time I looked at the thread you shared (thank you) very carefully. In the end, I opted not to modify the files as described in the thread, out of a concern (also expressed by others in that thread) of what else I could be breaking, and under what conditions those modifications could cause unwanted behaviour.

Recently my NWN server hard drive crashed unrecoverably and so in deciding to start from scratch in rebuilding a NWN server, I opted to explore the Windows server instead of the Linux one, in the hope of being able to bring a fully functional Whirlwind Attack back to the table. I will understand if it means that I have to give up being able to mask player character classes and levels, but it sure would have been nice to have both.

For what it's worth, I have been cheering for Russia in all of this tournament's FIFA matches... Smile
Yago

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought... could the Linux version of nwnx be run with the windows version of the NWN Standalone server (under wine)? Hmmm the possibilities...
Yago

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I ponder these thoughts, I thought I would take a stab at the solution suggested in the referenced thread above. Then it hit me like a tonne of bricks. I couldn't find any of these files

feats.2da
script x2_s2_whirl.nss
animation a_ba_casts.mdl

despite searching throughout the directory tree and familiarising myself with the

find . -iname "<filename>"

command... until I re-read the first line of the first responder poster's first post:

"There is simple fix I aplied in our module."

I blinked and wondered... does that mean this has to be applied inside the module file for every module in which I want to be able to let players use Whirlwind Attack? And in terms of making changes inside of a module, I presume that is done with the Aurora toolset... is that right? Oh the trail becomes rough at this point but I am still on it, and still soldering onward!
Yago

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I am still uncertain where any of those files are kept, I did some more reading and looks like a NWN Persistent World tried that Whirlwind Attack fix and the players and others documented their experience (here http://arelith.com/node/10687). From what I read, the result was something dramatically different than the actual original Whirlwind Attack. I can see why others would have been reluctant to implement this. It's not so much a fix as a "this will make it less broken".

I find myself in that place where I need to ask - will there be an updated Fixes module for the Windows version of nwnx, which will allow the hiding of classes and levels in the server login player list? That seems to be the only way that a server can both hide player classes and levels, as well as have a fully functional Whirlwind Attack.
virusman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I don't have plans for updating the windows version at the moment, but others might help you with that.
Yago

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way or another, I am grateful for the nwnx and its modules, and for the guidance you and this forum and site have provided in my quest. "Spaceeba" (sp?)!
Zeroark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yago wrote:
While I ponder these thoughts, I thought I would take a stab at the solution suggested in the referenced thread above. Then it hit me like a tonne of bricks. I couldn't find any of these files

feats.2da
script x2_s2_whirl.nss
animation a_ba_casts.mdl

despite searching throughout the directory tree and familiarising myself with the

find . -iname "<filename>"

command... until I re-read the first line of the first responder poster's first post:

"There is simple fix I aplied in our module."

I blinked and wondered... does that mean this has to be applied inside the module file for every module in which I want to be able to let players use Whirlwind Attack? And in terms of making changes inside of a module, I presume that is done with the Aurora toolset... is that right? Oh the trail becomes rough at this point but I am still on it, and still soldering onward!

In order to find these files, you have to modify some of the file content. To do so, you have to locate the "2dasources" file, I believe it's on the installation folder, or you can download a fresh copy from the vault. (I'll try to locate that if you can't find it on your install)

You will also need, for simplicity, a 2DA Editor and a Hak Packager, if you are planning using that into a server. You can opt out of the hak packager, and just drop the files on the override file for testing.

ANYWAY... Summing things up:

• feats.2da: Look on 2dasources file on your nwn installation.
  • x2_s2_whilr.nss: Look in the Aurora Toolset. This should be a system script, so look for all scripts.
  • a_ba_casts.mdl: I have no idea. My guess is you need a model viewer for NWN, and export it for modification. After modification, pack it on a hak, or drop it on override for testing locally.

Hope this helps, I'll try to look into the model thing, but I'm not much into modelling, so my help would be really, really limited.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: