logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NWNX_COOL Issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
highv priest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the LUA CPU calculations performed by the server or the NWNX2 exe?

nwserver is annoying in that it's not multi-threaded, so the best CPU I could get it was a dual core with as high GhZ as possible, but in the end only 50% of that can go to the server.

Will using LUA's similar functions instead have most calculations performed by the nwnx2 program? If so this does enable a mod builder to effectively use a dual core as giving ~~~75% of that CPU to the server(quad core is still just nasty though with nwserver maxing at 25% Confused )

Note I've never actually hit a processing limit on my server as I TRY to be efficient in scripting to avoid such issues(I do know it maxes at 50% though, due to one point of me accidentally having an infinite loop in tileset changer script), BUT it is still a future problem as I continue to add more and more into the server.
Terra_777

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwserver has no multithreading compatibility, its not possible to call any nwn related functions or memoryspace without risking corruption from an outside thread. In short; nwserver runs the lua script.
highv priest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame, I thought since the way results are returned is through locals, it meant nwserver was passing a command to nwnx2, nwnx2 calculated it, and then set that local to that result.

Oh well Confused
Baaleos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to introduce new threads to the work order of NWNX/nwserver.
But as Terra said - its not a default and supported behavior of nwn.

For the most part however- multithreading short order tasks would be unnecessary.
Eg: Executing a 'AddFeat' command on a player on another thread is not going to see any improvement in performance.

However - And this is me from a .net development background.
I use the .net nwnx plugin - and I develop my own nwnx .net code to extend functionality.

If you had a large work order - that you wanted to execute in the background - without locking the nwserver process.
Then yes- you can execute that on another thread.
As long as you don't need that thread to return values to the nwserver process - it will be error free.

Eg:
I have functionality that sends e-mails from the nwserver process.
Sending e-mails is considered an I/O intensive task.
Eg: It needs to connect to smtp servers, and then write the e-mail across the network to the server.
This can take about a second to complete.

In order to make this lag free for the nwserver - I trigger a method that then spawns a new thread to do the e-mail functionality on another thread.
The result is that the function that nwserver kicks off ends / returns immediately, but in the mean time - the e-mail will still be in the process of 'sending'

So - while interacting with nwserver process memory from other threads is risky - there are however other uses for threads.
You can use them to execute functionality that is ordinarily laggy or I/O intensive - and the result is that they will not impact the main server thread.
Sir Vendel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:47    Post subject: nwnx_cool not working Reply with quote

Hello!
I have been trying nwnx, and found the very promising damage "override" nwnx_cool. However, I have not found, anywhere, the source for the include file "inc_cool". Without that, I cannot compile or use nwnx_cool.
Can anyone please post the source code for "inc_cool", so I can copy and paste it into my toolset, and try it out?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: