logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nwnx_Areas fix

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baaleos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 15:57    Post subject: nwnx_Areas fix Reply with quote

Fix for Areas
Has anyone verified this fix for nwnx_areas

https://github.com/NWNX/nwnx2-linux/pull/21

If there are no objections - can we get it merged into master?
virusman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another solution developed by leo_x, which I prefer, and I'll try to merge that soon.
Ravine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi vman, could it be possible to merge nwnx_haks also from leo_x's repository? Smile
elven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I've been running jd28's fix for a while now and haven't seen any load-area-after-player-enters-related crashes. Guess it really was that stupid offbyone. :)
Ravine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, for what do you use the area plugin? I would like to gather some interesting ideas Smile
elven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oneliner explanation: I'm using it to live-(re)load all module areas, managed by players via a custom web frontend.
farhorizon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since applying my fix (the one in the first post) I haven't seen any crashes when players enter areas. It was crashing every 10-20 hours before, so pretty sure that fixes it.

I do agree that leox's fix is more concise & cheaper: https://github.com/jd28/nwnx2-linux/tree/ta/plugins/areas

I need to run that on my server as well, to see if there any issues, but I wouldn't expect any.

I am still seeing crashes on dm possession of NPCs, but I'm not sure if that is related or not ... so I'll make a new thread.
farhorizon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

@elven Have you had any other crashes after your version of the areas fix?

I was running mine for about 2 months without any issues entering areas, but I still have issues with crashes on DM possession of creatures. I was curious if you see this as well? I changed to your version of the plugin 2 days ago & I still see the DM possession crashes.
elven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

farhorizon wrote:
@elven Have you had any other crashes after your version of the areas fix?

I was running mine for about 2 months without any issues entering areas, but I still have issues with crashes on DM possession of creatures. I was curious if you see this as well? I changed to your version of the plugin 2 days ago & I still see the DM possession crashes.

I don't have enough area reload churn to give a reliable answer to that, but yes, looks like jmd's latest fix seems to have done it. I was just going to keep an eye on it for a few weeks. (pretty low-traffic PW) :)

I never saw any DM-possession related crashes. Do you have a stacktrace?
farhorizon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like:

Code:

#0  0x0810e7d9 in CNWSCreature::PossessCreature(unsigned long) ()
#1  0x081133ca in CNWSCreature::PossessCreatureDM(unsigned long, unsigned char) ()
#2  0x08165e3e in CNWSDungeonMaster::PossessCreature(unsigned long, unsigned char) ()
#3  0x0818893a in CNWSMessage::HandlePlayerToServerDungeonMasterMessage(CNWSPlayer *, unsigned char, int) ()
#4  0x08196905 in CNWSMessage::HandlePlayerToServerMessage(unsigned long, unsigned char *, unsigned long) ()

It doesn't happen all the time, but it can happen multiple times per day ... or twice a week, depending on DM activity.
elven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

farhorizon wrote:
It looks like:

Code:

#0  0x0810e7d9 in CNWSCreature::PossessCreature(unsigned long) ()
#1  0x081133ca in CNWSCreature::PossessCreatureDM(unsigned long, unsigned char) ()
#2  0x08165e3e in CNWSDungeonMaster::PossessCreature(unsigned long, unsigned char) ()
#3  0x0818893a in CNWSMessage::HandlePlayerToServerDungeonMasterMessage(CNWSPlayer *, unsigned char, int) ()
#4  0x08196905 in CNWSMessage::HandlePlayerToServerMessage(unsigned long, unsigned char *, unsigned long) ()

It doesn't happen all the time, but it can happen multiple times per day ... or twice a week, depending on DM activity.

Looks like it's a crash while copying minimap tile data to the possessed creature. Most likely nwnx_areas related.

You sure you are running the very latest version from here https://github.com/NWNX/nwnx2-linux/commit/da6ce143c4662eb68cb6be44cd91b822cbb3c8be ?
farhorizon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the link from the PR that has the compiled version (I was too lazy to spin up a 32bit vm to compile it myself).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32687721/nwnx_areas.7z

I will try the one from the sword coast CI next now that the fix has been merged (thanks virusman!), which is where I usually get my plugins.
leo_x

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this by chance happening in this kind of pattern:

1. DM possesses creature
2. DM un-possesses creature.
3. nwnx_areas activity, namely area addition.
4. DM re-possesses the *exact* same creature.

I'm just assuming that NPCs don't initially have minimap data. So it's copied over on the first possession, then merely updated on re-possession... so if an area's been added the array overruns. It would be an issue with familiar possession too.

If that's not the case then this could be an annoyingly subtle problem.

In either case none of the solutions put forward or what's just been merged will fix that.
farhorizon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those were my thoughts as well leo.

The crashes definitely occur when a DM re-possesses a previously possessed creature, but I cannot reproduce it at will by doing those 4 things Sad I have never been able to reproduce it on my test server, but each time the main server crashes it has been on possess or unpossess.

With the previous issue concerning logged out players, I could reproduce the crash 100% of the time.

I will recompile the plugin with lots more logging, so I can at least see the state of the minimap data that causes the crash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: