logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uber Newb looking for some help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
downslide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:02    Post subject: Uber Newb looking for some help. Reply with quote

Hi Crime Stoppers!

Short story: I got NWN when it first came out. I played forever. had a regular nwnserver in my house and LAN'd modules for friends and used the hell out of the engine.

Took about a 10 year hiatus, but now I'm back, and glad to see there's still some life in the community.

I have 12 and 10 year old sons, who are just at the point where they could really get the jist of the game. So I want to setup a PW "in the home," because my wife and i don't want them on the Internet.

So, I grabbed the World of Greyhawk mod, https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/gameworld/world-greyhawk
and it won't load.

What am I looking for? Ideally, I'd love to find someone willing to spend a couple hours helping me get a grasp of NWNX2 enough to get a PW running - I actually don't care what PW, eventually I'll make my own with my boys.

So, help? Smile

For background, I'm in IT. I have computer junk everywhere. I originally tried setting up nwnserver and NWNX on a 64bit Windows8.1 Enterprise VM I have running on a VMWare 5.5 server (which is my host at home for my file server and media server). I have a handful of laptops of various ages, and towers too. I could spin up either a VM or a physical box in 32 or 64 bit, in windows 7, XP, 8, 10, 2008 or 2012. Or, if you really advise, I could spin up a linux box - but my Linux is REALLY rusty.
DarkSet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can help you with nwn server setup, but without any PW. You'll have to create it on your own or find something.

Actually my advice is to create vm with winXP, if it won't have outside connections to internet, give it max memory for x32 and nothing more. Give it separate HDD for NWN with 15-20 Gb.
You'll need mySQL DB also. It's better to set it up in separate WM in the same network. It's not really needed, but you probably want to have real DB in your PW.
Then set up nwn dedicated server for windows. Just google it, I think you can find one. If not - you can set up regular nwn.
Then google CEP, download it, read install manual and place files where they belong.

As for nwnx2 - I can share my files with bundle of plugins checked for work in my pw.
Also I can share some files for the client.

After all of that you`ll be ready to create PW with the power of CEP and nwnx2. Or can try to find one.
downslide

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!

For an update, I did setup a Windows 7 32bit OS, but I put it on a i3 laptop I had sitting around (cracked screen). 8GB ram (obviously only 3.5 useable) and 500GB HD. I got the nwnserver download installed on it, and a copy of my NWN Diamond moved over to it as well. I dumped the CEP2.6 files into the various folders, and moved the custom files from modules as well.

I was able to get the bigger modules (PWs from the Vault) I downloaded before working on this one that wouldn't work on the 64bit VM, so that's progress, I guess. Smile

Any help you're willing to give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
DarkSet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

In rhis case you shoud install 64 bit system. Nwn will work fine. And you can set up mysql on this notebook as well. I have i3 with 8 gb ram in my server and it works fine.

Indtall .net 2.0 and 4.5 and c++ redistributable 2005 and latest.

Also pm me your email and i'll send you files for nwnx this weekend.
downslide

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkSet wrote:
In rhis case you shoud install 64 bit system. Nwn will work fine. And you can set up mysql on this notebook as well. I have i3 with 8 gb ram in my server and it works fine.

Indtall .net 2.0 and 4.5 and c++ redistributable 2005 and latest.

Also pm me your email and i'll send you files for nwnx this weekend.

PM sent.

What version of MYSQL should I install? The "Community Server?"
DarkSet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember, just take free one, latest version
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: