logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Managing Characters with Vaultster

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:51    Post subject: Managing Characters with Vaultster Reply with quote

Hi all,

Our world has been having problems with the ActivatePortal function crashing the server due to what I think is simultaneous Write/Reads on a character's .bic that is shared over one NFS Servervault.

I've been playing around with Vaultster but came across an issue I'm not so sure how to deal with and was wondering how others have implemented it.

Currently our world is divided into three separate servers all on the same lan, with the one Servervault on it's own separate server. The player password is given to only one world and based on the persistent table entries saved for the character, upon login they are redirected to the appropriate server where they last saved, if necessary.

I was thinking that all regular portals to the other servers could use the Vaultster plugin but this automatic portal that happens on login would not, as we don't want to overwrite the .bic with an older one.

Maybe an example would help illustrate it better.

Joe logs on to our "West" server.
Joe takes a ship to the "Central" server using Vaultster to send his .bic.
Joe logs off on Central.
Joe returns later to West, and is autoportalled to Central this time with just ActivatePortal not Vaultster. (As the latest .bic is on Central server, so I don't wish to copy over the old one leftover on West)

I don't like the feeling about this for some reason and have a sense that it is being done better, but I'm just not sure how. I'd be willing to give out the passwords to all the servers, but there's still the issue of what happens if they login to the wrong one? Also what if one server goes down, and the portal fails, what happens to that player?

Perhaps others have some suggestions to throw my way?

Thanks in advance for any help or information.

Cheers,
orth
JeroenB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that you should not use the Vaultster plugin in a networked environment. Using a shared network drive is usually much faster and you don't have these problems you talk about.
orth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* Alright then. So maybe you have a solution to our problem with the ActivatePortal crashing our servers?

Like I said when the player comes from one server to another, I think the sending server is still writing the bic as the receiving server is trying to read it, causing a crash...
JeroenB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to send a message to the Avlis team. I know they use a networked environment and can portal between servers without crashes.

One thing you could try is exporting the character yourself before the player actually portals to the other server.
twinj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using seemless portalling or are you having to confirm the data.. password and IP. This made me crash?

Use seemless if that's the case.
orth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using seamless. It seems to most often happen when the receiving server is quite busy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: