logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mandrake ou Debian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mostal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:32    Post subject: Mandrake ou Debian Reply with quote

Bonjour,

je voulais installer NWNX2 et SQlite sur Mandrake 10.1 mais j'ai des soucis.
Lorsque je finalise l'install (make install), il me renvoie des erreurs et ne finalise pas l'installation
- erreur reconnaissance processeur
- erreurs mysql.h apparemment
Résultat: le fichier nwnx.so pas crée

J'avais installé zlib au préalable et les package mysql.

Est-ce que quelqu'un aurait une idée ?

Faut-il installer sous Debian pour que ca fonctionne ? Y-a-t-il autre chose que je puisse faire ?

Sinon, pour utiliser sqlite sous linux avec nwnx, que faut-il faire ?

Je vous remercie pour votre aide

Régis
redils

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, it's an english forum Wink
Then, for answer you, i'll make it in french & in english.

I use Debian for my nwn server, but it's a question of feeling, even if i think that, there's less useless features under Debian. For install nwnx, you have to choose a RDBMS, Mysql or PostgreSQL. Currently, there isn't a Sqllite linux version. If you choose to use Mysql, you'll have to install all the required packages : mysql-common, mysql-server, libmysqlclient, libmysqlclient-dev). After that, you just have to follow the guidelines of the install file. If you choose PostgreSQL, all the instructions are in the README file, in the patch.

Personnelement, j'utilise Debian pour mon serveur nwn, c'est une question de choix, je trouve qu'il y a moins de fonctionnalités supeflues.
Pour installer nwnx, tu dois d'abord choisir un RDBMS (Un gestionnaire de base de données), soit MySQL, soit PostgreSQL. Actuellement, il n'y a pas de portage des fonctionnalités sqllite sous linux. Si tu choisis d'utiliser MySQL, tu devras installer le logiciel serveur, ainsi que les librairies nécessaires à la compilation de nwnx (apt-get install mysql-common mysql-server libmysqlclient14-dev, libmysqlclient14). Il suffit ensuite de lire le fichier d'installation de nwnx. Si tu choisis PostgreSQL (ce que je te conseille), tu auras toutes les informations dont tu as besoin dans le patch que tu trouveras sur le vault. J'espère que ça pourra t'aider.
mostal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:28    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Thanks a lots.

Which benefits to use PostGre or MySQL ?

Just few details: which version of Debian must be used: 3,0, woody ?

Best regards

Mostal
NoMercy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostgreSQL Has more features than MySQL, for the most part unless you are a database expert, your not going to need them. MySQL has a reputation for being faster (because it cuts out the extra features), and has a big following in the web applications world because of it's speed.

For a database connected to NWN, I'd go for MySQL the only people who would want to use PostgreSQL are those who use it elsewhere professionally and have become addicted to the extra features.

I'm not french, and I got a E in my school french exam, so I can't do much of a decent job of translating that, sorry.
mostal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 13:00    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Oki,

don't you know about Debian distrib compatibility ?

I hope don't have same problem as Mandrake compilations errors.

Regards

MOSTAL
redils

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

:p :p MySQL faster than PostgreSQL ? Not sure... And, PostgreSQL allows transaction, MySQL doesn't. MySQL is just easier to use. And there's a lot of usefull pgsql features, you can use with nwn : Reboot your nwserver via the DB, delete PC files via the DB, in fact, u can write your own C functions, and directly call them from PGSQL. Then, the choice is yours. Concerning the distrib to use... i'd say : Linux is linux. The major difference between each distrib, is just the packages tools. Then, you'll have the same errors of compilation, if you use Debian or Mandrake, while you don't install the required libraries : libmysql-dev.
mostal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 14:03    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Oki,

in nwnx.ini, you configure PostGre like MySQL for drivers ?

About my errors, it means I need mysqldev tools, isn't it ?

Best regards

MOSTAL
NoMercy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did a little reasearch MySQL may have been faster but this statement sums it up: "Speed. MySQL aimed first to be a fast database, while PostgreSQL aimed to be a fully-featured database, and both are converging in the other's direction. Used appropriately, MySQL's MyISAM tables are indeed extremely lightweight."

MySQL's InnoDB tables support transactions... but I don't think there's any support for cursors, stored procedures, or views yet. (version 5 will include limited cursors and views)

On the other point, I've had no problem with Debian and NWNX building most things, only had minor issues with compiling some bleeding edge software which depends on libraries which havn't been updated in the debian repository yet.
mostal

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:43    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Hello,

I installed zlib, sql (dev library included), nwn and nwnx.
But when I start nwnstartup.sh, eror message appeared (error segmentation line 20). No sql error, nor in nwnx log files.

I install it on Mandrake 10. Do you think DEbian is the only Linux distrib for nwnx ?

Thks

Régis
NoMercy

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

There shouln't be any reason why it won't work on any normal linux distribution. Did you compile nwnx yourself, no errors during this?

If you did build it yourself and got no errors in the process, theres nothing I can suggest furthur, one of the developers might be able to help you debug it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: