logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone saving characters as objects vs. BICs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris421

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:42    Post subject: Anyone saving characters as objects vs. BICs? Reply with quote

My PW currently uses the traditional Bioware export functions to periodically update the character BIC files. To prevent logout/server crash exploits, I also store variables to a MySQL database. I capture & write things like last HP, remaining Feats, Spells, Appearance, and Location.

Is there a better way?

Now that we can Set/GetPersistentObject, can players be saved as objects and recalled at login using just the BIC for the NWN character selection screen?

Got encouraged to ask this about player objects after I got MBHK saving Henchmen to MySQL instead of the Bioware DB. Really happy with that. However creating creature objects apparently is a lot easier than replacing pc objects. Tried a bunch of funky things...destroying the PC and copying in a new one, overwriting oPC with the BLOB. But it always seems to just pull from the BIC. I'm really lost.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure you can not replace the player's object after he has logged in. I have not tried it, but this seems just unlikely given how Bioware does things.
Senalaya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem is, that PCs will be turned into NPCs, when saved with SCO. (IsPlayer=0)
Primogenitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use Letoscript to output the blob to a .bic file, but that wouldnt be easy. Id love to use such a script, but I dont have time to write it. I could help you though if you wanted to go down that path. In any case, it wouldnt solve HP,spells,feats, etc since thats recalculated on Login.
chris421

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may re look at Leto next time I need a gargantuan list of something made. Not running it in the mod atm though.

Still, players stored & recalled from the database would definitely change things. Vaultster for one would benefit. Instead of file transfers you could have a few VPN tunnels connecting remote MySQLs. Synchronization would be cleaner.

Would be even nicer if we had some go-between driver between MySQL and NWN that could emulate a filesystem. So that the engine actually thought it was reading and writing directly to & from a BIC.

Way beyond my skillset. I'm still struggling with persistent Henchmen. GL to the rest of you.

If anyone wants to take a look, it's the Action PW "Thirdage. Champions of Middleearth". Requires CEP151+PRC22c+the merge HAK/TLK from the vault. "Bree" is the testbed for Henchmen atm.
Kosmous

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesnt seem to be a problem to export from the database. Ive trid this myself even with mosnter blueprints (u need to turn off ELC and make sure the monster "character" is either level 0 or has somehow been given the appropriate xp... otherwise NWN thinks its corrupt). Someone helped me out with the proper SQL steatement too.

SELECT bic_blob_column INTO DUMPFILE "/path/to/where/you/want/it/saved"
FROM table
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: