logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trouble with tutorial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scarface

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:52    Post subject: Trouble with tutorial Reply with quote

Hi, I have been trying to install nwnx and mysql for neverwinter nights, I am adding the prc and need this installed for the character creator. I have been using this tutorial http://www.nwnx.org/index.php?id=tut2
Now I get to step 6. then it all goes pear shaped from there. I have done everything else that is required yet when i type: "mysqladmin -u root shutdown" it gives me this message:

connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'can't connect to MYSQL server on 'localhost' (10061)'
check that mysqld is running on a localhost and that the port is 3306.
You can check this by doing 'telnet localhost 3306'

Any help would be great thanks
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the version of MySQL you have installed, you should have a MySQL entry in your start menu. Start the MySQL System Tray Monitor to load the service. You should be able to work with the graphical tools "MySQL Query Browser" and "MySQL Administrator" from there on.
scarface

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, havent got any of that, this is the filename of the version i am using
mysql-4.1.12a-win32.zip
I am a decent scripter but I am finding it really difficult, maybe its not a very good tutorial if you have no experience with using these programs.
Acrodania

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your c:\mysql\bin folder there is a file called "winmysqladmin.exe". I would highly recommend creating a shortcut to it in your startup directory.

This gives you a graphical representation of the MySQL process and allows you to easily start, shutdown and modify your settings plus details on it. It shows up as an icon in your SysTray that looks like a stop light.

Also don't forget to go into your "Services" and setup MySQL to run automatically on start. It will NORMALLY do that itself, but not always.

For working with the database find a copy of MySQL Front version 2.5 Any higher version than that you have to pay for Smile If you can't find a copy by searching the web let me know and I can send one to you....
scarface

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I did what you told me to on bioware and installed the 4.0 version, I then added a shortcut to my desktop for winmysqladmin and opened it up. straight away I can see a problem, in the MYODBC window it says:

Not Found
Driver 3.51 Not Found
Acrodania

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is normal, the ODBC driver is a secondary download. You don't need it for NWNX as long as you use MySQL-Direct Connect in the NWNX.INI file. If you are familiar with ODBC setups or have issues with the Direct Connection then you can download that driver from the MySQL site as another way to connect....

Can you see the mysql database while in winmysqladmin.exe? (right-click on the stoplight, select Show Me) If so you are talking Smile

Next thing you will need to do is make a database for the system to connect to. You can use the command line or a utility like MySQL-Front. Once you have a database setup (and tell the NWNX.INI file which one to use) you should be able to use the aps-demo.mod and have it make a table for you. You can use that table as a template for others you might decide you need. I have a bunch, for quests, PCInfo, creatures, treasure, etc.....
scarface

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I see it, its blank though, and as for the aps demo, well its not retrieving the data.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: