logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Real n00b question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harley59

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:32    Post subject: Real n00b question... Reply with quote

Ok here is a question, where the heck can I find the zlib package?
Why is it so hard to find?
And since it is so hard to find why is it needed to compile this?

I am a seriously new linux user. As in I have virtualy no linux knowledge. We would like to port our server to linux but we also need NWNX2 and MySQL for our server to run properly. We have been trying to follow directions with the help of a friend of ours, but since our timetables overlap by only a couple of hours he hasn't been able to give us a lot of help.

We are using Mandrake 10.1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Harley
Parsec

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a compression library - very common.

Not sure what it is on Mandrake but try looking for zlib1g or zlib1g-dev in whatever updates Mandrake.
Harley59

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we looked for that. Anything to do with zlib....

Found that certain passworded ftp servers have it for download.

Found that there are certain security flaws in it or used to be.

Found out a few things except what it acctually was, until now thank you by the way, and where to find it with out having to sign up and pay money to download the silly thing.

Harley
Vladiat0r

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google zlib which leads to
http://www.zlib.org Rolling Eyes
which leads to the following download:
http://www.gzip.org/zlib/zlib-1.2.2.tar.gz
Harley59

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. We did google it, but it seemed to ellude us.

Will download it tonight.

Thank you again

Harley
Harley59

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help I've now gotten things to the point of running the app_demo mod to try and get things up and running.
but I now receive the following error I know it has to do with the fact I know next to squat about MySql.

Code:

* Loading modules...
[Database] SetDebugLevel(1) called.  Current value=0
o ERROR: Unknown MySQL server host 'nwn' (1)
ODBC plugin Registerred.

I added the debug level to see if there was anything else forthcomming.

The apps_demo does load but you can't create the table. I'm using the Console manager to access the MySql but I realy don't know enough to do much sorry.

Thank you for your help I'm not as frustrated as I used to be I guess I'm resigned to moving from one error message to the next Razz

Harley
Acrodania

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like your INI file is set to use ODBC connections and not Direct MySQL mode....

Check the NWNX.INI file
Harley59

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my nwnx2.ini file
Code:

[NWNX]
disablenwnxinit=y     #Set to "y" to not enforce the NWNX!INIT requirement

[Database]
server=nwn              #name of the database server
user=nwnuser               #username to access db
pass=nwnuser                 #password for username
db=nwn                #database to connect to

[Debug]
debuglevel=1          #Set to 1 or higher to output successively
#                     # verbose debug information

[LogDir]
logdir=logs.0         #Set to the relative root of the log directory.

what part do I need to edit?

Harley
Acrodania

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harley59 wrote:
This is my nwnx2.ini file
Code:

[Database]
server=nwn              #name of the database server
user=nwnuser               #username to access db
pass=nwnuser                 #password for username
db=nwn                #database to connect to

Is "nwn" a valid server name in your /etc/hosts file? If it is you should see an entry like this:

Code:

192.168.1.110    nwn.mydomain.org    nwn

If it ISN'T then the server cannot resolve where the server named "nwn" is. You can either add the entries to your HOSTS file, alter the server name in the NWNX.INI file to point to the actual server name OR alter the server name in the ini file to point at "localhost", the server's IP address or 127.0.0.1

localhost is actually your best setting unless you need to access a database on a different server....

P.S. If those are your actual username/password for the MySQL database I would quickly alter them. You should never use the "defaults" that are listed in any documentation, it has a tendancy to leave you open for hacking :p If you need a GOOD SQL Client to control your databases remotely you can search for MySQL Front. Get version 2.7 or lower (its a commercial product higher than that). If you can't find it let me know and I'll give you a link to grab it.
Harley59

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next error message (this is getting bad)

Quote:

Loading modules...
[Database] SetDebugLevel(1) called. Current value=0
o ERROR: Host 'Test' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server
ODBC plugin Registerred.
* NWNX2 activated.

I keep thinking thaqt I missed something during the install of the database.

I'm also geting nasty messages from Mysql control center when I try to use the user admin or the server admin.

user admin
Quote:

You don't have enough privileges to access this section

server admin the same message.

Help please.

Harley
Acrodania

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to use your command line utilities to set the user, password and permissions for the database. There are two types of permissions for each user, one for localhost access, the other from remote (including calling the database via IP address). Plus of course their level of access like read, write, drop, etc....

I haven't installed on Linux in a while and don't have my MySQL book with me so I don't remember the syntax. Go to www.mysql.org and look under the Install instructions. It will walk you through it!

Luck!
Harley59

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just get so frustrated when the docs assume that I have a certain level of knowledge of either Linux or mysql. I got it running on windows because a diva walked me throught it live over a year ago. I haven't done more than add the Kbanking system since, and that just easily plugged in.

I'm on the "Learn as You Go" system here. He** I can't even be sure that I have found the correct folder for mysql. Because I've seen at least two or three folders and where everybody keeps telling me to look just has a symlink <I think that's what it is called> in it. I do know mysqld is running when the machine starts.

I have so little knowledge on these topics that even the explanations are not making any sence.

Ok I'm going serious on this and see if there's a book or two at the library that I can get to get me up and running.

But if anyone has a few thoughts don't hesitate to add them anyway.

Harley
Acrodania

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

To find your data directory you can do a:

find -name '*'.MYD -print //mine are all remapped via symlink to the /home/mysql directory for easy access

To find where the executable is type:

which mysqld //if its in the path, most are in /usr/bin
or
find -name 'mysqld' -print

The find should be run from the root ( / ) directory. That will tell you where the files are; the '*' being an all-match wildcard. Each actual database has its own directory, normally under a common one named "data", but not always.

If you have an existing windows setup with all the users and permissions set correctly you can shut down MySQL on the linux box and manually copy the entire data directory from the windows box to it. Be sure to keep the upper/lower case as they are case-sensitive. Be sure to reset the data directory's permissions and user names with chown afterwards. If you do a ls -al it will show you what username and group the directories/files are supposed to belong to...

SUSE uses this command:

chown -R mysql.daemon * //mysql is the user, daemon is the group

from the root of the DATABASE directories to set it properly. Your version may differ in username and group Smile

I don't install that often on Linux (since it only has to be done once and runs for years) and don't have a machine handy to verify Smile

The MySQL book I use is just titled MySQL and has a darkish red spine. Again its at work Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: