logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Having Problems Viewing 'Localvaule' with MySQLAdministrator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir_Mathis_Kyngston

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:22    Post subject: Having Problems Viewing 'Localvaule' with MySQLAdministrator Reply with quote

I hope someone one can help me understand what I did wrong. I have followed the settings and quide lines of the www.nwnx.org website, and the NWNX APS help quide/Tutorial on the Bioware Fourm. I have set the OBDC, and NWNX2 up according. I am able to get the mysql.exe to run, and the NWNX2 to run with the Module 'aps_demo'. When I click on the first Banner Sign. I get the message. Deleted PWdata, and Create PWdata. Then after clicking the last Banner Sign. I get a retrieve database: 'localvalue'. Here is my log file to reference those actions.

o Logfile maximum size limit is: 1650065408 bytes
o Log level: Everything will be logged.
o Using SQLite connection.
o Hooking SCO....hooked at 5c65d0
o Hooking RCO....hooked at 5c64b0
o Connect successful.
o Got request: DROP TABLE pwdata
o Got request: CREATE TABLE pwdata (player text(64),tag text(64),name text(64),val memo,expire text(4),last date)
o Got request: SELECT player FROM pwdata WHERE player='Sir Mathis Kyngston' AND tag='Sir Mathis Kyngston' AND name='demoName'
o Sent response (0 bytes):
o Got request: INSERT INTO pwdata (player,tag,name,val,expire) VALUES('Sir Mathis Kyngston','Sir Mathis Kyngston','demoName','testValue',0)
o Got request: SELECT val FROM pwdata WHERE player='Sir Mathis Kyngston' AND tag='Sir Mathis Kyngston' AND name='demoName'
o Sent response (9 bytes): testValue
o Disconnecting from database.

My Problem is. When I click on the MySQLAdministrator, go the NWN folder, and look under the pwdata. To see if I can see any vaule or data of any kind. I don't see any thing referencing to My Name, A vaule, nor any kind of infromation that leads me to believe this is working correctly. Any help to understand what I did wrong. Would be grateful.

Sir Mathis Kyngston.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why:

o Using SQLite connection.

Your database is working, but you are using SQLite instead of MySQL. Edit NWNX.INI and comment out the sqlite lines and set up the mysql lines accordingly.
Sir_Mathis_Kyngston

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I do still not understand some things about these configurations. Or maybe it’s the detail information I am looking for. That is not in these tutorials. I notice in one Tutorial from the NWNX/APS Guild on the Bioware Web site, a gentleman giving his walk through, Stated go to Control Panel. Then click on OBDC. There are two additional steps left out on those instructions that were left out. You need to click on performance and maintenance, then Administrative Tools. Then click on OBDC. This is if you are running Windows XP. Considering he referenced to Win32, but I was able to figure this one out for myself, which was a waste of 5 min’s. But not considering the total waste of this project. I have wasted a total of 2 weeks on this already. At a cost of 3 months worth of captured log files lost. These log files were lost because some one that set up the NWNX2 didn't consider a lot of things.
(1). Rotation of Log files. Named ‘Log’ file becomes a big time headache. I could understand this method if the person that thought this through would have used this method instead. Name the file ‘Log folder’. To ‘Date/Time/year’ Instead of Log file 0, 1, 2, 3 etc. With sub folders in that, I don't know what log file folder I need to look in. Because there are so many, I am not sure what error log is current. So every time I make a change with the NWNX.ini file. I have to delete my log files. Another thing that is upsetting me is. My PVP server has been down more than I should allow it to be to do testing with this APS_DEMO module. So I can understand these new guide lines, and instructions on how to set up a data base. I really don't fully understand the benefit of this system for my PvP. I mean will I be able to execute my NWN Script files from the MySQL's Script folder? Saving me time and headache on lag problems? Or will it benefit me saving character information, property items deleted? Item’s with certain properties that are in violation of my setting? Will it protect me in some way, from the Hackers/Crashers? I am sorry but I don’t see any benefit from this system. Considering no one stated in the tutorial about many of the benefits. Nor to BACK UP YOUR LOG FILES. Nor detail updated information to help me resolve my problem. Someone should have spent more time explaining this systems in enter workings, and keep the information up to date. (Referring to detail the tutorial) Considering all this already, I am pretty sure now you can see I am severely pissed off more than I should ever let any utility product cost me. I would like to say Papillon. I followed your insight on the SQLite command. I used the // to see if that would solve my problem, and took it out complete saving that information in a Notepad on standby if it wouldn’t work.. I reset the Server, and went to the captured log file. After searching several ‘Log file folders’, now I am unable to retrieve the database, I then decided to change some new lines in the data base, Allowing the ODBC@localhost to have access to the database. That didn't resolve the problem. Then I took that out. That didn't resolve the problem. Then I add more lines to the NWNX.ini file, giving the ODBC permission to access that information by setting up a user/pas/data string. That didn't resolve my problem. Then I went to the MySQL database under the command prompt. Changed the grant all permission nwnuser to grant all permission to OBDC@localhost, Giving him permission to access the data base, and made those changes under the OBDC shortcut. In the Administrative Tools, Under Start, Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance. (referring to Windows XP guide lines) I don’t understand the error message. I have tried every thing. That I thought would help me resolve the problem. I went to the Tutorial 2. That didn't work. I saw the reference for the ODBC. Because the MySQL is outdated. I am lost on that one. I just don't know. I feel I have download way more utilities, and plugins than I should have, and I don’t understand why the ‘APS_DEMO’ deletes my pwdata file. I had to cut and pasted that in a db.txt file, and have MySQL launch that to load the data tables. Then the APS_Demo comes along and deletes my work. I have searched other information on the Internet in regards to MySQL, and I don’t feel I need to buy the MySQL book to help me learn these commands to find out what I am doing wrong. When I can’t get the thing to work in the first place. Why let this utility cost me money. It’s already cost me 2 weeks, and 3 months of lost data. This is just a suggestion, because I am pissed off. I feel that if we are not going to support this product anymore. Than please delete it from the NWvault, and discourage people not to mess with it. I sent an email to 'jeroen@nwnx.org'. Back on 3/16/2005. I had a problem then, with this utility, and needed some insight. I never got a response from his email. So I deleted all the information off back than. Now this past Aug 4, 2005. I decide to get back into it, and I should have considered then, His response was a clear message to me that I should have steered away from this utility in the first place. I should have never gone against my better judgment. I am deleting once again all the files of NWNX2, and MySQL off my computer. This as been a clear waste of my time. Now I have to play rush city. Which means more stress to get caught up on the other important things. To the Fan Base of the Kyngston’s PvP. I would like to Thank You Papillon. At least you should compassion to me, and responded to my email. Your insight on this mater help me to see I did mess something in regards to the NWN. ini. But I don’t know if I should delete the lines or use // to keep the NWNX2 from running those strings, or any of the other functions with this utility.

Sir Mathis Kyngston.

Here are those Captured Log files:

Error Log.
o Logfile maximum size limit is: 1650065408 bytes
o Using ODBC connection.
! Error while connecting to database: [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Access denied for user 'ODBC'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
Acrodania

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, MySQL is not something that you just "run" without a little knowledge. You HAVE to understand how to set it up, run it, maintain it. Its a semi-industrial scale database, it is NOT MS Access. You need to learn it to use it.....

From where you are now I would recommend:

Download the MySQL_Front application I posted a link to in this thread:

http://www.nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=309

It will give you a strong, easy to use (relatively) interface to MySQL. Set it up to connect to LocalHost with the username/password combination you gave MySQL. If it CANNOT connect, then your user/permissions are incorrect. Go through MySQL's tutorial on their web site on how to add a user and give them appropriate permissions.

Once you can get in with MySQL Front, add the database to the system that you intend on using. REMEMBER WHAT YOU NAME IT.

Then go into the NWNX.INI file and set it to use MySQL DIRECT CONNECT. Do Not use ODBC unless you understand how to set it up. For the settings use the server as localhost, with the username and password you verified, then the database that you did in the previous step. Make sure you spell it correctly.

Then start NWNX and load the APS_DEMO module. Go into Lan game and connect to that module with a character and use the provided placeables to tell it to create the tables in the database. Test with the other placeables to make sure it doesn't give any errors. Use MySQL Front to verify your data.

Provided you did everything right you now have a functional system. Once you get to this point you start putting your code into the module to store your information in the various tables, add the code to create the tables as needed, etc. You won't want to store everything in the default table so you might as well start planning now.

If you can't figure it out after going through this, then switch the system back to using the SQLite database and learn how to use it. Its less flexible but there are no worrying about permissions and such so its easier to use. Plus no install, it just "works".

I apologize for sounding a little grumpy but NO ONE here on these boards or in the NWNX team can "fix" a lack of knowledge on setting their system up. You can't expect them to teach you how to operate a database, nor should you get upset with anyone here on something that is not directly related to NWNX. As for what it is capable of and doing, it is a DATABASE interface and much more. It can almost do ANYTHING including modifying items that are normally unavailable to the game. But it won't do anything unless YOU figure out how to do it. These are the tools, YOU have to do the work to implement it and make it do what you wish. Its no different that going to Sears and buying a toolset. Sears will sell it to you, they will replace it when it breaks, they will even make recommendations on which ones to get, but they won't show you how to fix your car. Papillon and crew and many helpful people have created a wonderful set of very powerful tools, they give helpful advise, release examples of code and even full working systems. But they can't drive to your house and setup your server for you.
Sir_Mathis_Kyngston

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to apologize for my rude behavior. I was upset with the NWNX2 deleting those log files. I should have kept that anger suppressed, and focused on the support I needed to resolve the problem I was having with it. I was able to find compassion in Lady Acrodania, and she gave me the insight to resolve my problem. Here is some of my word doc file of that information I gained to resolve my problem.
Lady Acrodania. Directed me to a different approach to install the MySQL and NWNX2. Without the ODBC configuration. During which I got the error message of : ‘An error occurred during OnCreate of odbc’. Then with Lady Acrodania insight on the nwnx.ini file. The rest is history.

-------------------- Word.doc file ---------------
I just wanted to say thanks for the knowledge on the ‘comment line out’. I used the Theory of C++ to keep NWNX2 from reading those command line strings. Using the double - backslash. When I should have been using the ' ; semi-colon '. Thanks so much for that insight of knowledge. That was the answer to the resolve. Even before when I delete the lines completely out of the nwnx.ini file. In regards to the ODBC configuration and the SQlite configuration. The “ ; “ semi-colon was blocking the configuration setting so the NWNX2 was not seeing those lines. Thus it was not loading those parameters to local the MySQL. I also used the semi-colon on the Log file configuration strings. I think I can handle that one. With no problems. I want to thank you again Lady Acrodania for your time, patience, and effort to get me to view this utility with different eyes. I do appreciate that.

Here is the final results, and I can’t say enough about your effort. I really do appreciate that. As they say “Knowledge is Power”. Thanks so much Mi Lady.

* Bowing at Lady Acrodania*

NWNX ODBC2 plug-in V.0.9.2.4
(c) 2005 by Ingmar Stieger (Papillon) and Jeroen Broekhuizen
visit us at http://www.nwnx.org

o Logfile maximum size limit is: 1048576 bytes
o Using MySQL connection.
o Connect successful.
o Got request: DROP TABLE pwdata
o Got request: CREATE TABLE pwdata (player varchar(64) NOT NULL default '~',tag varchar(64) NOT NULL default '~',name varchar(64) NOT NULL default '~',val text,expire int(11) default NULL,last timestamp NOT NULL default current_timestamp,PRIMARY KEY (player,tag,name))
o Got request: SELECT player FROM pwdata WHERE player='Sir Mathis Kyngston' AND tag='Sir Mathis Kyngston' AND name='demoName'
o Sent response (0 bytes):
o Got request: INSERT INTO pwdata (player,tag,name,val,expire) VALUES('Sir Mathis Kyngston','Sir Mathis Kyngston','demoName','testValue',0)
o Got request: SELECT val FROM pwdata WHERE player='Sir Mathis Kyngston' AND tag='Sir Mathis Kyngston' AND name='demoName'
o Sent response (9 bytes): testValue

------------------ FYI-----------
If you get these results. Then your MySQL and your NWNX2 is configured.

---------------- FYI -------------
Just some more FYI. I used MySQL 4.1.13a-nt, MySQL Front v3.2, Administrative Tool 1.1, and the nwnx_odbc2_924, file here at nwnx.org. Here is that link I used to get that new v3.2 build (7.3) on MySQL Front.

http://www.mysqlfront.de/download.html

Sir Mathis Kyngston
Acrodania

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I could help and that its running for you Smile
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, Sir_Mathis_Kyngston, this is a good opportunity for me to point out the fact that we are seeking people who write an updated tutorial for NWNX. So if you would like to contribute and spare others following you some frustration, write up your experience and send it to us.

(Bitching about something is one thing, actually doing something about it another)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: