logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to duplicate another server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hugin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:25    Post subject: Trying to duplicate another server Reply with quote

A while back, I joined a group of people doing a persistent world. They already had a bunch of stuff done when I joined, but I think they might have gotten a lot of it from someone who was working on the project before and then dropped it. The reason I say this is because there are references to things involving NWNX and something related to Avlis, yet nobody working on the PW knew anything about it. I'll worry about learning the ins and outs of NWNX later, but for now I'm trying to work on getting my own dedicated linux server up to run a copy of the module so that I can test out new scripts easier. My problem is, I don't really know how to set up the server so that it will run the module properly with all this NWNX stuff (and whatever else may be installed) because our server is hosted by a third party hosting company. I do have some information about our server, but it's not much. It's at this link. If more info is needed, I'd be glad to post it. Thanks a bunch Smile

Also, I have installed RedHat Linux 9 (Shrike) on my test server and I have the Linux NWNDedicated working, but it won't load our module (but it will load other modules). I'm assuming this is because I don't have the proper NWNX stuff installed?
Hugin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed NWNX2 and my database is MySQL 4.1 It runs the test modules fine (fully functional, including aps_demo), but when I try to load our module, it gives me:

Stupid Linux Box wrote:
Server: Loading...
Server: Running...

Server: Loading module "TrialsofWinter".
Server: Unable to load module
Server: Exiting...
NWNX2lib: Server exiting.

Any ideas? Sad
Acrodania

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your ODBC log also....

Things to look for that cause this:

Do you have all the HAKS in their folders?

Do you have the TLK file in its folder?

Is the module you have the same patch level as the server?

Do you have all the correct database tables in the database? (Don't assume that you only need PWDATA since you didn't write the module, I use at least 20 different tables, and NO my module doesn't auto-create them all since I'm not distributing it....)
monezz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most cases the log file will provide the reason the module wouldn't load.
nwn/logs.0/nwserverLog1.txt
nwn/logs.0/ nwserverError1.txt

0 could be a different number, depending on the number of instances you are running.
Hugin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get it to work for the most part. Messed with a few random things that didn't seem like they'd affect it. But now, it's telling me there's a segmentation fault when I try and load it. Looked around on the internet, and this seems to be a fairly common problem on the linux clients and dedicated servers but it doesn't seem to have a cure. The only cure I found didn't help which involved me checking to make sure my SDL was up to date and it was.

If anyone knows a cure for this apparently "random" problem, please help me out (it does this on a couple other random modules that have nothing in common as well).

Thanks.
monezz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never experienced segfaults with my linux client.
My linux server only has an occasional segmentation fault when I try to shut it down.

Segmentation faults seem to appear more on pre-compiled systems, so you could try to compile affected systems like SDL, MySQL and nwnx from source.

My server switch from pre-compiled (debian) to self-compiled (gentoo) resulted in a far more stable nwn server. But thats just my experience. It could be total bulshit Laughing
Hugin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I did something that's gonna help me in the long run. I formatted and installed XP Pro on my server Razz I hate linux...
monezz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
dguntner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the system crackers who want to hack your system and virus writers who want to infect your system will appreciate your change of OS. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Linux technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: