logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Following the Windows Tutorial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckirmser

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 23:40    Post subject: Following the Windows Tutorial Reply with quote

I have a question about installing and setting up NWNX. I went to Setting up NWNX2 with MySQL on Windows using the MySQL plugin
http://nwnx.org/index.php?id=tut2

and ran into a couple of problems. One, the tutorial says;

b. Browse to your respective folder and open the nwnx_mysql.txt file and complete
Server = Localhost
User = nwnuser
Password = nwnuser
DB = nwn

There is no nwnx_mysql.txt. There's a nwnx_mysql.cpp, but no .txt. So, I assumed that there was a typo in the tutorial and modified the .cpp file by adding the four lines at the top of the file, after the includes. Of course, adding ";" after each line.

The second problem I have encountered - a show stopper, so there might be more that I haven't come across yet - was with this instruction;

6. Install and Launching the MySQL database engine as a MS Windows Service
- click on start
- click on run
- Type> cmd
- Type> cd c:\\mysql\\bin
- Type> mysqladmin -u root shutdown
- Type> mysqld-max-nt –install (This command does not work for Win98 or ME)

When I try to execute the fourth bullet, Type> cd c:\\mysql\\bin, I get a path not found error; the folder mysql does not exist at the root. Now, I could search for it, but since it is not where the tutorial specifies it should be, I figure I've done something wrong at an earlier stage.

HAAAALP!!!
Manuel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

What this means is to browse to the bin folder inside the mysql folder. So, wherever you installed mysql, browse to that folder at the command line and then go into the bin folder.

On my system the location of mysql is:
C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1\bin

Performing this command worked fine:
cd C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1\bin
JeroenB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Browse to your respective folder and open the nwnx_mysql.txt file and complete

this should have been nwnx_mysql.ini I think. At least those entries seem familiar.

Quote:
Browse to your respective folder and open the nwnx_mysql.txt file and complete

You should have a look where you installed MySQL. If that is not at the default location c:\mysql then replace that part with the directory where you installed it.

If you can not make it as service, just add the admin tool to your start up entry in the menu. When it is loaded, the MySQL server will be started automatically too.
Liberty Valance

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, if you typed the double backslashes, that would be problematic. there should only be one backslash at each of the places where you've shown double backslashes.

also, it should be an ini file, and not a cpp file. ini files do not require semicolons after each line either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Windows technical support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: