logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plugin writers, is this feasable?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumalg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:17    Post subject: Plugin writers, is this feasable? Reply with quote

Noteing that nwnx4 has much better performance than nwnx2 got me wondering. Is the nwnx4 useage overhead low enough now that a plugin could implement arrays with comparable or better performance than pseudoarray techniques?

Say something that stored everything in string form in C arrays with an end user api something like:

CreateArray(string name, string index_x, string index_y)
GetArrayString(string name, string index_x, string index_y)
SetArrayString(string name, string index_x, string index_y)

The 'name' part is to allow for more than one array. Of course, variable numbers of dimensions would require different params or recognizing something like a value of -1 meaning the dimension wasn't used.

If this approach can deliver good performance other possibilities come to mind. Things like interacting with a SQL plugin to populate an array from a set of rows. I suspect something like that would be very handy for random encounter or random treasure lists application.

I also note that since array storage would be outside the nwn process that there might be good use made of this to conserve memory from it's 2gb limit.
<edit added> Of course linked lists and queue's would also be nice toys

--- Grumalg ---
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done that with the HashSet plugin for NWNX2. It's a bit more than arrays, but can be used like them.

Regarding performance: With the current hooking (*), NWNX4 can call 41.500 SQLEncodes() per second on my machine (AMD 64 3200+) as a real world example.

Code like this:
Code:
for (i=0; i<500; i++)
{
   SetLocalString(oModule, "NWNX!INSTALLED", "             ");
   GetLocalString(oModule, "NWNX!INSTALLED");
}

peaks at a rate of 69.500 passes per second, i.e. the loop could iterate that often within one second, if the TMI restriction would not apply.

So yes, this would be feasible.

(*) I am currently under the impression that even better hooking will become available for NWN2 in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: