logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plugin/Feature Suggestion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:37    Post subject: Plugin/Feature Suggestion Reply with quote

Find Installation Path

Not sure if it'd work on both Win and Lin but it'd allow us to find the paths for servervault editing etc without having to change them in hardcoded script. Just a thought.
Funky
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be very easy to do... the plugins already know the NWN path, so a small "utility" plugin that returns the path (maybe among other functions) would be no problem.
Urlord

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clients now need to download either a PWC file or each of the individual TRX Files. I am noticing in the logs several folks that have tried to conntect to my server but never did. After speaking to several of them, they get all the way through the Character Creation process, it saves their bic file in the server vault and then throws an error because they do not have the correct client files.

I have gone through the logs and since the NWN2 GameSpy account name is the same as their Bioware member name, I have sent them a private message. Trying to explain how to connect or to get feedback about their experience.

My question is, would there be any way to make a plug-in that assists in the client download process (like the NWN2_Audolo Tool) and/or automatically send them a Bioware Private Message explaining them what they need to do.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urlord wrote:
Clients now need to download either a PWC file or each of the individual TRX Files. I am noticing in the logs several folks that have tried to conntect to my server but never did. After speaking to several of them, they get all the way through the Character Creation process, it saves their bic file in the server vault and then throws an error because they do not have the correct client files.

I have gone through the logs and since the NWN2 GameSpy account name is the same as their Bioware member name, I have sent them a private message. Trying to explain how to connect or to get feedback about their experience.

My question is, would there be any way to make a plug-in that assists in the client download process (like the NWN2_Audolo Tool) and/or automatically send them a Bioware Private Message explaining them what they need to do.

Yes,

I'm currently working on a PW Launcher tool. (an upgrade to my Crash Analysis Tool for NWN1)
It comes in three parts.

1. The Toolset bit. (ToolsetPlugin)
--After Baking the module - you "Publish it". Similar to PWC except it does all the extra stuff like version control, manifesting, shrink-wrapping (7z)

2. The Module Bit (GUI)
-- A simple MessageBox GUI OnClientEnter-Area, that explains 'why' the character can't move... (no walkmesh, they can connect but not go anywhere) [even return visitors get this - a one time hit]

3. The PW Launcher Bit (downloaded application)
--This is the NWN2_Audolo Tool bit. However mine has extentions to validate the client configuration - for example non-haks in the HAK folder, cause crashes, you won't be able to 'Launch" without fixing this first <and any other 'Known' issue>
--7z is used to pack each TRX file. The client only downloads the TRX files that have changed (and unpacks them) -- rather than the ERF solution provided by NWN2. (This is managed by the "Publishing" process)
--Multi-threaded, several downloads at the same time.
[Ed: as an after-thought, any interest in enabling a download manager to handle the PWC download? - There are a couple that allow this - and I don't have to write the code]

I'm about 2 weeks from 'TheFold' version - targeting a single PW.
Making in a 'generic' PW solution is a bit further off.

If you think about it you can possibly get away with only the GUI bit,
but it only takes one invalid TRX mess up someones gaming experience.

Cheers
Gryphyn
Urlord

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear Gryphyn. I look forward to it. Currently I am using NWN2_Audolo and it is working fine. However, I would like someway to get a message to Players that try to connect and either are not up to date or haven't even read the proper steps to connect.

Is there anyway you app can give the player the option to install itself. There are lots of folks that are trying to connect to NWN2 servers like you would a NWN1 server and they don't understand why it isn't working.
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking into a customizdd GUI add-on that does this, but unfortunately without integration into external systems (such as being able to launch a file transfer, or a version checker), it doesn't look like it will be possible.

Looking for volunteers.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urlord wrote:
Great to hear Gryphyn. I look forward to it. Currently I am using NWN2_Audolo and it is working fine. However, I would like someway to get a message to Players that try to connect and either are not up to date or haven't even read the proper steps to connect.

Is there anyway you app can give the player the option to install itself. There are lots of folks that are trying to connect to NWN2 servers like you would a NWN1 server and they don't understand why it isn't working.

Well that's the whole point of the Launcher.
The Launcher will allow you to select the PW (at least those using the system)

It downloads the relevant 'manifest'.
Then it updates any files that have changed (including installing them)
before launching NWN2 (automatically)

Basically you run the Launcher instead of NWN2 (as the Launcher kicks off NWN2) -- the middle bit is a progress-bar / download-log.

I been looking into some automation libraries as well.
Connection could be automated from your configuration information. (ie pushing buttons, typing your name and the like.

When someone gets a handle on the GUI xml stuff - there is the 'pregame' GUI section, we might be able to hijack something here to do the same thing.

Cheers
Gryphyn
FunkySwerve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Launcher sounds outstanding. A great way to ease the download burden!
Funky
dougnoel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=531725&forum=115&sp=0#4640265

This thread brought up a scary possibility. Do you think we could use this launcher to force a check of all the files so people cannot cheat and use an old version of teh walkmesh?
Urlord

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since haks do not load prior to character creation, it would be great id the Launcher moved any neccessary override files to the override folder before it launched the game, then moved them back out to a holding folder when the game exits. This way the overrides are all taken care of automagically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: