logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Proper table layout for NWNX4/MySQL?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 23:07    Post subject: Proper table layout for NWNX4/MySQL? Reply with quote

The example provided in the NWNX4 installation guide (here, in section 3.a), and the example script in Grinning Fool's MySQL (here), give slightly different column definitions for the NWNX4 table.

Which is most correct?

In particular, there are conflicts between the 'val' column (varchar(64) vs. text), the 'expire' column (smallint(5) unsigned vs. int(11)), and 'last' (timestamp(14) vs. timestamp).

Since the columns are different widths, I'm concerned that the wrong data may be stored or something might be truncated, but I don't really know enough about SQL to make an intelligent determination as to which is correct.
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 23:19    Post subject: Re: Proper table layout for NWNX4/MySQL? Reply with quote

Katy wrote:
The example provided in the NWNX4 installation guide (here, in section 3.a), and the example script in Grinning Fool's MySQL (here), give slightly different column definitions for the NWNX4 table.

Which is most correct?

In particular, there are conflicts between the 'val' column (varchar(64) vs. text), the 'expire' column (smallint(5) unsigned vs. int(11)), and 'last' (timestamp(14) vs. timestamp).

Since the columns are different widths, I'm concerned that the wrong data may be stored or something might be truncated, but I don't really know enough about SQL to make an intelligent determination as to which is correct.

Good catch; I would say "text" is correct; timestamp v timestamp(14) doesn't matter. I'm not certain about "expire", as I'm not sure how the column is used.

Looking for volunteers.
caloup

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no official "table creation" for nwnx4 for the moment, you could modify the column according to how you're using nwnx/mysql...

I've taken the pwdata creation table in NWNX-Fast french and it work perfectly (i have tested with nwnx4)...
I will modify the documentation when an "official method" appear...

I'm not agree with grinning fool but it's "my opinion"... "varchar" could contain 255 octets while "text" 65535 octets...
it seem that varchar is faster than text and i'm not sure you will have a lot of persistent variable that could be more than 64 character...If you want to put 128 or 255, you can...
but it still my opinion... Rolling Eyes

Pap do you think about make a nwnx_buildtable that automatically create the table ?
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there should be something that can create the pwdata table. I guess it will be a function in the DB plugins, but I haven't made up my mind about this yet. I haven't thought about the table structure either... I'd use varchar for the val column, and a smallint for the expire column (it's meant to hold a variable lifetime in days, so the number won't be huge).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: