logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hook in the client?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morpheus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine. But the point is to prohibit propagation. Obsidian is welcome to claim rights to encrypted data. Although simply putting that in the eula does not mean an implied ceding of rights of a 3rd parties property. Otherwise, I could put other peoples IP in NWN2 and then Obsidian could say the original owners no longer own their own IP, which clearly would be silly. If it were true, I will put the google front page in my mod and then Obsidian would own it.
Hehe.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morpheus wrote:
That's fine. But the point is to prohibit propagation. Obsidian is welcome to claim rights to encrypted data. Although simply putting that in the eula does not mean an implied ceding of rights of a 3rd parties property. Otherwise, I could put other peoples IP in NWN2 and then Obsidian could say the original owners no longer own their own IP, which clearly would be silly. If it were true, I will put the google front page in my mod and then Obsidian would own it.
Hehe.

Yep, that's how lawyers buy big houses, and drive expensive cars...
You'd have to own google first, providing someone else's IP just makes you piggy-in-the-middle, and you'll cop expenses from both sides.
Lets not fill the forum with 'hear-say'. Only Obi can provide the support that's been requested and they're not going to do it. (or they can prove me wrong Wink )

Cheers
Gryphyn
virusman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

TroveLord wrote:
So if we were all dreaming and Atari took out SecuROM it would be possible to hook the game client? Does "game client" include "DM client"?
Yes.
Gryphyn wrote:
-Yep, but we can make it harder for them
Well.. we (the NWNX developers) are NWN hackers, so it's primarily harder to us. Pirates/crackers are experts, it isn't as hard to them.
I think, it isn't about the technical side of the problem. Atari wants the protection to be there. SecuROM has to release new versions of their product to claim that their protection is the best ever. Crackers do their work almost as they did before. And, finally, we, the gamers and modders, have most of the problems from this.
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same scheme with all mechanisms of copy protection. You do not stop the people who create the real troubles, but hurt your legitimate customers in more than one way.

A search on a well known swedish bit torrent tracker yields a couple of NWN2 DVD images, complete with crack. It's probably just a matter of clicking on the link and waiting a couple of days. So I wonder, how would this be difficult to but the most noobish users ? It just makes NO sense...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: