logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

visual studio issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 22:14    Post subject: visual studio issues Reply with quote

Alright, I'm confused.

I have installed SP1, and removed it again. Since I've done this, any Debug-mode build of NWNX that I attempt to make refuses to launch. The event viewer gives me this message:

Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system

Now, of course DebugCRT is installed on my system -- I see it there plainly, sitting in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\redist\Debug_NonRedist\x86\Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT. I even explicitly copied them over to the working directory for the nwnx executable and got the same result. Running in the debugger itself still gives the same problem (application configuration is incorrect...)

I am able to compile, build, and debug a brand new win32 application in debug mode without any problems. NWNX built in release mode works just fine.

So... does anyone have any idea what the problem might be or how I can fix it? I suppose I can just make all of the Release mode settings the same as Debug, but that seems like a lot of work to go through for something that should be Just Working.

Looking for volunteers.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's any consolation I've got VS with SP1 working fine now.
Mine were Vista issues with the 'hidden' security on "C:\Program Files\..." (reinstalled NWN2 elsewhere and it all fits together again)

Have you re-compiled wxWidgets, and copied over the debug libraries/files?
(just guessing you did this originally)

The other thing might be to try a rebuild (rather than a build) to force new intermediate file creation.

*not much to go on, trying the obvious first Wink

Cheers
Gryphyn
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh; did not rebuild wxwidgets, only because I had not needed to do so before. Did to the others suggested.

At this point, I've given up and am re-upgrading to VS SP1. This means I'll need help in rebuilding my files without SP1 so that I can post a binary version; otherwises my releases will have to be source only, since NWNX itself hasn't been built on SP1.

I just don't have any more time to waste on this, I have too much to do to spend time fighting with the fact that MS can't seem to provide a clean uninstall of SP1, or performing a complete reinstall in the hopes that it may work.

Thanks for the suggestions though Gryphyn -- the frustration expressed above isn't with you, but with this ridiculous mess that shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Looking for volunteers.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Been there!

I though the issue was with VSExpress(SP1) needing the extra run-time libraries. VS2005(SP1) should compile with them 'built-in' (???) like the SDK is built in as well.

Cheers
Gryphyn
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gryphyn wrote:
Laughing Been there!

I though the issue was with VSExpress(SP1) needing the extra run-time libraries. VS2005(SP1) should compile with them 'built-in' (???) like the SDK is built in as well.

Cheers
Gryphyn

Well, I rolled back from SP1 because of the dependencies that had been found, which caused Papillion to roll back as well. (I think on Vista, you have to specifically install the runtimes for sp1 or applications don't run) I wanted to maintain binary compatibility in the plugins, and not introduce additional dependencies.

But after rollback it seems like it somehow still linked the debug version with the dlls from SP1...which were no longer installed. So when I tried to run, it could not find those images.

Ah, well. Re-Upgraded to SP1, and now release and debug builds work exactly as they should. When I have actual time, I'll look into reinstalling vs.net from scratch and see if that makes it behave.

Looking for volunteers.
GodBeastX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you copy the manifest with the DLLs to the location of the DLL/EXE you're developing? The manifest that generally get linked in 2005 (I assume express too, never used express) makes it require this manifest along with the DLLs.
Grinning Fool

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

GodBeastX wrote:
Did you copy the manifest with the DLLs to the location of the DLL/EXE you're developing? The manifest that generally get linked in 2005 (I assume express too, never used express) makes it require this manifest along with the DLLs.

Damnit. I actually kept meaning to try that, but I kept getting sidetracked :/ Thanks, hopefully I'll have time to give it a try this weekend.

Looking for volunteers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: