logo logo

Back to main page

The NWNX Community Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Via Con Diablos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you pop it into source control, I'll try and do what I can when I can.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon,

I'll give it a go if you like, any preference to the Installer engine?

Cheers
Gryphyn
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since VCD did already some work on his version, why not continue from there ?
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon wrote:
Well, since VCD did already some work on his version, why not continue from there ?

I was actually thinking of using VS to do the job.
Adding a installer (builder) project into the source library and have that create the setup file post build.

**and this is the proviso**
then one of the 'penguins' can fix it up for Linux Wink

if VCD could send me his scripts (pretty please) I could work on it from there.

Cheers
Gryphyn

PS. do we have the latest source in SVN?
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, SVN is up to date.

I am not sure what using VS for the installer would imply, e.g. can we use VS Express as well ? I'd like to keep all development tools as accessible as possible for everyone...

VCD posted a link to his sources, have a look at his post from Jul. 19th.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon wrote:
Yes, SVN is up to date.

I am not sure what using VS for the installer would imply, e.g. can we use VS Express as well ? I'd like to keep all development tools as accessible as possible for everyone...

VCD posted a link to his sources, have a look at his post from Jul. 19th.

VS Express should have a 'Setup and Deployment' project type. (it would be one of these) This means that your installer would be built along with each build (of the solution).

So far the only drawback is the 'agony' you have to go through to generate a non-standard dialog. (looking for a way to simplify/bypass this)

Anyway back to it...

Oh, and Papillon, would it be possible to relocate some files in SVN? (or add another copy)
The .ini for each plugin within the plugin's project. eg
xp_plugin folder would also contain the 'master' .ini file.
(a post-build process would copy/rename/distribute as appropriate)

The same could be done for the .erf's (* although I'd prefer the raw .nss files - cut/paste VS to Toolset and back ) and demo mods ( *Mods we might treat differently? )

Cheers
Gryphyn
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, if you want to use VS, then go for it. The only requirement is that people will be able to rebuild the installer with VS Express.

The INI files can be added to the plugin directories, that would be no problem at all. The ERF files are needed, though, since most users will want to just import something to their module, not manually create a couple of scripts and cut and paste the source code into them.

A side note: The original idea for the installer was to make it real intelligent, with updates over the internet and all. Now I see that this might have been too ambitious. Depending on how much time you want to put into this, a basic installer that lets you select plugins, copies files into the correct places, and modifies the INI files accordingly would be great as well. It's your call.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon wrote:
Ok, if you want to use VS, then go for it. The only requirement is that people will be able to rebuild the installer with VS Express.

The INI files can be added to the plugin directories, that would be no problem at all. The ERF files are needed, though, since most users will want to just import something to their module, not manually create a couple of scripts and cut and paste the source code into them.

A side note: The original idea for the installer was to make it real intelligent, with updates over the internet and all. Now I see that this might have been too ambitious. Depending on how much time you want to put into this, a basic installer that lets you select plugins, copies files into the correct places, and modifies the INI files accordingly would be great as well. It's your call.

VS has all the web deploy options as well.
For the most part I was looking at a 'selection' form something like...

---
Core
NWNX4 (Required) [.ini] <- launched in notepad for editing

Database
O MySql [.ini] <- select the one you want
O Sqlite [.ini]
O SQLServer [.ini]

Additional Plugins
[] Time
[] Others... [.ini]
---

With web-deploy I'll also need to track file dates/versions (needs some thought)

Do we want deployment to create the database tables as well? or leave it up to the demo mods?

Cheers
Gryphyn
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gryphyn wrote:
Do we want deployment to create the database tables as well? or leave it up to the demo mods?

I'd leave this for later. The demo modules already do this fine right now.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon wrote:
Gryphyn wrote:

I'd leave this for later. The demo modules already do this fine right now.

Next question - Compression for iNet traffic?
The files as pretty small as they are, is it worth the effort to compress them further?

Also, I've been thinking on the auto-update functionality. We currently have plugins on numerous sites, do we want to support this? (or consolidate here)

Cheers
Gryphyn
Papillon
x-man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gryphyn wrote:

The files as pretty small as they are, is it worth the effort to compress them further?

Well, how much effort would that be ? I see no bandwith limits anytime soon, so it might not be worth it.

Gryphyn wrote:

Also, I've been thinking on the auto-update functionality. We currently have plugins on numerous sites, do we want to support this? (or consolidate here)

I'd love to include "third party" plugins, and some might eventually be added as "official" plugins, but we are not there yet. If a plugin becomes official, it will be distributed here on nwnx.org. There is no chance that anything not on nwnx.org will be official, so I would say the installer does not need to support multiple sites.
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon wrote:
Gryphyn wrote:

Well, how much effort would that be ? I see no bandwith limits anytime soon, so it might not be worth it.

Gryphyn wrote:

I'd love to include "third party" plugins, and some might eventually be added as "official" plugins, but we are not there yet. If a plugin becomes official, it will be distributed here on nwnx.org. There is no chance that anything not on nwnx.org will be official, so I would say the installer does not need to support multiple sites.

Part 1.
It means an extra step (compression) in preparing the data, another (decompression) during the installation process. but...

Part 2.
If all plugins are going to be hosted here, it can be a far easier task (especially without compression) as I can have a dedicated URL to source the files - rather than each file having it's own.

PS. getting close...

Cheers
Gryphyn
Gryphyn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Papillon,

I've sent you a deployment project.
It ties in all the official programs and plugins. (as they stand now)
It needs some further tweeking of how the 'solution' is put together to make it more effective (eg .ini files should be included in plugin project output)

It only uses what is readily available to VS, so it's a bit lacking, but it does get the job done.

Cheers
Gryphyn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    nwnx.org Forum Index -> Development All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: